August 20, 2014

The Shield: Parricide

by Jonathan Toomey, posted Oct 22nd 2008 12:17AM

Walton Goggins(S07E08) "What if you get forced to do something... that you didn't really want to do?" - Two Man

I imagine that this is what it must look like inside my stomach after eating Taco Bell. For a while, I'm feeling full, loving that hot sauce, seasoned beef, and three cheeses. Having a good time and then bam -- everyone starts turning on each other and all hell breaks loose as the entire meal starts looking for an exit.

Yes, I've just compared The Strike Team to a gordita, but it fits, doesn't it? A big plate of nachos bell-grande can only agree with a Mexican pizza for so long. Doesn't matter which item you're associating with Shane. All that matters is that he's exiting first.

If you think about it and truly try to rationalize what Shane did, it was inevitable. Since murdering Lem, Shane has become this grotesque monster, a mere shadow of the man he once was, and Vic is arguably to blame for most of who his former partner has evolved into. That being said, this isn't the first time that we've heard of the the apprentice turning on the teacher. Granted, in this instance, Shane was provoked because of Vic and Ronnie's attempt on his life, but I feel pretty comfortable knowing that if Shane was shaken by Lem's behavior... well, you get what I'm saying. It probably would have come to this anyway.

However, this is Vendrell we're talking about here and if there were one person in The Barn who you'd pick to mess up something important... well, you'd probably pick Billings. But Shane is a strong second. When he "hired" Two Man to take care of Ronnie, it was over before it even started.

At this point, there isn't much about Shane that surprises me. For someone who claims to be such a family man, it still boggles my mind as to why he would want Mara involved in his plan and alibi. However, she's just as crazy and devoted to him. If that was ever a question, she proved it when she came to Corinne to lay out the "instructions" for Vic and Ronnie.

As for the rest of the episode, I loved the double meaning of the title. While Shane was plotting to take out two close friends, Vic was tasked with a "parricide" of his own - dethroning a local Catholic priest as part of Pezuela's development plan. You've got to give Vic some credit. Despite all the shit going on in his world, he still made time to help out the priest, his girlfriend, and son and he still got Pezuela the church shut down. Not a bad day's work.

Olivia is noticing, too. Vic is coming through for her on everything and it's looking more and more like a job at I.C.E. is in Vic's future. Didn't Olivia say she'd seen Vic's file though? Regardless of how inaccurate or speculative his file may be, doesn't it make her a bit worried about who she's getting in bed with here? Isn't there a page in there somewhere that says I.A.D. Lt. Jon Kavanaugh investigated Vic Mackey in the death of Det. Terry Crowley? Again - my taco analogy has got to apply here too.

More thoughts on "Parricide" --

• How about some of Shane's facial expressions? After Vic and Dutch played Two Man and he finally came clean, Shane made this "they got me" face that said about a million different things. It was amazing.
  • Same goes for Corinne. Go back and look at her eyes when Mara tells her about Terry and the money train. She looked horrified to hear it and relieved that she was right about Vic all at the same time.
  • And one more - Claudette's face when Two Man made the jab about "fixing what's going on under your own roof" was perfect, too. You know it's bad when a career criminal is telling you stuff like that. She looked genuinely hurt; paralyzed even.
  • Anyone else losing interest in Aceveda? He's just sort of there for the sake of it. Getting him involved with Chaffee and Olivia feels a little forced to me.
  • How many more comments could they have made about Ronnie's squeeze? Asian throw pillow, bamboo cage fantasy, Hanoi Hannah - the list went on. Funny stuff. That's one of the best parts about this show. It's incredibly serious and tense, but it still makes you laugh.

And then there was that ending. I've watched this episode three times now and I'll be honest - the first time I was up in arms about it. Who is Vic Mackey without a badge and gun? How does the show even work without him being a cop? But then I realized - the gun and badge have nothing to do with who he is. They just made his job a little easier. He's still the same man. He's just got a different mission now.

mikeg

I hope the writer's of the show do not let Claudette and Dutch be the one's to take Vic down in the end. If you go back to season one the first episode you will see Accevada is the one who forced the hand of the strike team. He tried to get rid of them the first day they started. Vic was not the bad guy in the beginning. He was a father of Autistic children who was trying to advance his position within the police department that included overtime pay so he could care for his children. Looking back Vic Macky was only trying to be his children's hero.

November 05 2008 at 11:15 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mikeg

I could not believe Vic's wife going to Dutch and Claudette and gave Vic up. The thing I found interesting is when Claudette got on the phone with Shane's wife and Corrine heard the hate in Claudette's voice when she talked about Vic. The look that came over Corrine's face at that moment said I just made the big mistake giving Vic up. I bet she will tip Vic about this. I know it seems bad that Vic wants Shane's wife dead but to tell the truth so do I. Shane truly is a bitch and I hope Vic does get him. This show was one of the best I have ever seen on T.V. I hope the writers don't screw Vic in the end. The thing that makes the Shield is taking a corrupt cop like Vic who has done very bad things and have the audience rooting for him to succeed. I can see now Im going to be very upset with how this turns out for Vic.
The people I never wanted to see win are going to get my guy in the end. Claudette, Dutch and that piece of crap Accevada.

November 05 2008 at 10:41 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gabriel

Did you guys notice Ronnie's expression towards Vic after Ronnie turned down Vic's invitation to sleep at his place?

After Ronnie says "not without my Asian throw pill", Vic turns and Ronnie looks at him with a smile at first then his face goes angry/hate and he breathes heavily.

Is that a sign that Ronnie is pissed off at Vic?

October 27 2008 at 6:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
AntonioSaucedo

Walton Goggins deserves an Emmy. This guy can emote anything with that face of his. Don't forget his expression when he's waiting for Vic in the dark and realizes he's plan won't happen.

October 22 2008 at 9:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gabriel

I can't believe this show is ending in 5 more episodes.. SUCH A WASTE OF POTENTIAL.

I hope FX's President haven't watched this season yet and when he does, live, he changes his mind and buys a couple of seasons more...

I've been watching this show since day one.. watched all episodes so many times I'm even embarrassed to say, and since when the Strike Team disbanded (last episode of season 3) I feel a little sadness when watching this series.

Nowdays we even see people eager to see Vic brought down! That's unbelievable.

All "crimes" Vic commited had a reason, and were justified by its end (even Terry Crowley that piece of shit rat I felt right).
Loved when Vic told Shane "That's different! That son of a bitch.. he was a traitor"

Hope this show can continue past this season... it would be a waste if it doesn't.

October 22 2008 at 6:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Gabriel's comment
D-Bo

I wholeheartedly disagree and imagine FX would love to keep this hit on the air for a while longer if it was up to them. There is something to be said for going out while on top and not letting things degenerate until the point no one (creators/talent and viewiers) is interested anymore.

October 23 2008 at 2:49 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Comixchick

Lady McBeth, aka Mara, needs to go. All of this stuff, the team turning on one another, started when Shane chose her over his "family." He is seriously whipped.

October 22 2008 at 5:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
The Commish

My heart started racing in that scene where Two Man is just about to break, and you see the look on Shane's face. What I love about The Shield is it doesn't need fancy music or camera work to infuse suspense, but just good writing. I've seen every single episode of this show and I still don't know what to expect for the next five episodes, since this one totally threw me.

October 22 2008 at 1:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
smikwily

Last night was a complete roller coaster. It had that almost surreal feel to it. I figured it was going to go "just the way they wanted it to go" one more time, but then you saw the look on Two Man's face that said "I wonder if I am getting screwed on this".

After Claudette almost caught Shane chatting with Two Man earlier, I figured it would just go on like a regular show, especially when Ronnie and Vic thought that maybe it was just a random hit, but when Vic stepped in with the idea for the witnesses and the look of absolute agony on Shane's face, I was curious to see where things went. Then the flood gates opened and it was just a total downhill scream.

Watching Shane quietly sneak out, then make a break for it, only to get caught up trying to be nice about a softball team invitation was a nice little tough. And while I'm not a huge fan of Mara, watching her give Corinne her ultimatum was an interesting take, seeing her trying to be up in her face, while at the same time visually flustered as she realized her world just went in the same dumpster she's trying to throw The Mackey's into.

I figured we were going to fade out at that point, but the discussion between Ronni and Vic, and the subsequent "It was nice working with you, Captain" on his way out, I was even more excited to see what appeared to finally be the beginning of the end.

While I like that some shows leave you with the feeling that life goes on in the world you have a view of (The Wire), I'm not thinking Farmington is going to fall too much into that category.

Excellent writing, twists in all the right places, and great acting are going to make this a very bitter sweet hurrah.

October 22 2008 at 12:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Eddie

I uttered "Holy Sh--" more times in last night's episode than I have in awhile. Just watching Shane get harassed about the softball team would have been hilarious if I didn't think we were about to watch Vic take Shane's face off with a sledge hammer.

I don't know how this is all gonna end, but I know you can count me in for the ride...

October 22 2008 at 11:48 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jim

Epic.

Best line of the night: Ronnie to Billings on taking a first date home: "I'll explain it to you sometime."

October 22 2008 at 8:32 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply