April 24, 2014

Will Obama be on Saturday Night Live before the election?

by Allison Waldman, posted Oct 22nd 2008 12:04PM
ObRemember back at the beginning of the season when Senator Barack Obama was going to be on the premiere of Saturday Night Live but had to bow out because of Hurricane Ike? At the time, we were told that the Democratic presidential candidate would be on later in the year. Well, rumors are flying that Obama will appear on SNL a week from this Saturday, November 1 -- just three days before the election.

NBC has denied the rumors, much like they did all those rumors before Vice Presidential candidate Sarah Palin appeared last weekend. However, SNL boss Lorne Michaels always holds his cards close to his vest when it comes to big name appearances. Even after gossips reported that Sarah was definitely going to be on the show, NBC and SNL didn't confirm it till the last minute.

So, what will it mean if Barack Obama does show up on SNL before the election? It could be the cherry on top of a media blitz sundae that will include his primetime October 29, half-hour TV special on NBC, CBS and Fox. Maximum exposure on TV, including saturation commercial buys from now till November 4, is a decided advantage for the Democrat, but it's no guarantee that he'll emerge as the president.

Still, is it fair for SNL to let Obama have the pre-election Saturday slot? Would it look like they're playing favorites? Obama was last on the show in 2007, so it's not like he's gotten a ton of exposure from them. SNL has had John McCain and the aforementioned Governor Palin on recently, so the Republicans have been given their time. Democratic Veep candidate Joe Biden, on the other hand, has never been on the program.

Finally, November 1 is the only date open for Obama if he chooses to do Saturday Night -- and, coincidentally, that's the night Ben Affleck (an Obama supporter) is hosting. This week's show, October 25, is out because Barack will be in Hawaii visiting his gravely ill grandmother.

If I were advising Obama, I'd tell him to do the pre-election show. It can only help him, especially if it's a sketch like Hillary Clinton did with Amy Poehler during the primaries, which showed that Hillary could laugh at herself. And If I were Lorne Michaels, I'd try to be fair to the Republicans, too. I'd ask John McCain to tape a segment and show that on the same episode that Obama's on.

_

I would love for Obama to be on SNL!! Obama is our true hope for a GOOD change in America, and he has a nice sense of humor too- I love SNL, and hope he is on there!

October 23 2008 at 5:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
wendee

One of the mllion of great things about America is choice. If you don't like a show, switch the channel. There are
hundreds of other shows to watch and enjoy.

October 22 2008 at 3:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Maria

God I am sooooo SICK of the political stuff SNL is doing. Let it rest already. My God what will they do when election is over? Oh yeah right...go back to the same garbage they did before this.
WHO cares about it anymore. They have overblown and overdid all of this.
Its not funny anymore. Wasnt realllly funny to begin with.

October 22 2008 at 1:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to Maria's comment
driftwood

Their political stuff is the only thing they've been really competent at lately. Which is why I thought it was funny they moved a lot of it to Thursday. What good is left for the regular show?

October 22 2008 at 3:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
a. ratcliffe

And they have always had a hard focus on politics in election years. Once they figured out that the ratings solidified in those times, they were off.

October 22 2008 at 6:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Europa

If all the polls are right he doesn't need to. :-)

October 22 2008 at 1:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bonnie

Really? Barack Obama on SNL? After all the condescending remarks about Palin on SNL I bet we would not hear the same about Obama. He won't go on, because of this.

October 22 2008 at 1:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
chadwick hansford

No one cares.

October 22 2008 at 1:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Andrew

I hope they do a skit about how terrible Fred Armissen's impression is.

October 22 2008 at 1:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Andrew's comment
scott

well it has gotten better, he's got the ummm's and the pauses down pretty well! :-)
I'd love to see dana carvey try obama though.

October 22 2008 at 1:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jim

They've been slobbering over him all season. He might as well show up to wipe off their chins.

October 22 2008 at 12:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Jim's comment
Joey Geraci

I am just going to assume you are being facetious, and say, nice one! Because I am too tired to contemplate the stupidity required for that statement to be serious.

OT, I think it would be a good idea for McCain to appear by video, or really, even better, would be for McCain and Obama to appear together in a little skit, preferably alongside their impersonators. Show that they both can get along for a couple minutes in an amiable setting, and can have a little fun.

What can I say, I feel sorry for the old man, especially with the whupping he is about to experience.

October 22 2008 at 12:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply