April 24, 2014

Opie Cunningham is back - VIDEO

by Brad Trechak, posted Oct 23rd 2008 4:33PM
Ron HowardI recall a time when Ron Howard was diligently trying to distance himself from the two television icons that made him famous: Opie Taylor and Richie Cunningham (from The Andy Griffith Show and Happy Days, respectively). Now, thanks to Funny Or Die and in an effort to get his candidate of choice (Barack Obama, if you didn't know) elected, he is prepared to step back into those two roles. And to do so, he takes Andy Griffith and Henry Winkler with him.

I didn't really grow up with Andy Griffith, but it was quite the nostalgia trip to see Ron Howard and Henry Winkler as Richie and the Fonz again. Winkler seemed to just slip back into the character despite all the years.As for Ron Howard, much like in that old Eddie Murphy SNL sketch, no matter how many directorial features he has behind him he will always be Opie Cunningham. A pity that neither of those characters are old enough to vote.
See more Ron Howard videos at Funny or Die

Karen

The problem with celebrities voicing their opinions, is that they are often given credibility because they have access to media.

Having access to a podium doesn't make them an expert on anything and when other media outlets cover their opinions as news, it lends credibility.

Just because they are passionate about a cause doesn't give them expert status and often many of their claims are flat out factually wrong.

Additionally, I think people tend to have a feeling of ownership over characters, and for these actors to use the characters in a way that violates that "relationship" it is distrubing.

Not to mention that the Andy Taylors and the Aunt B's of this world (and they do still exist - I live in a small town FULL of them) absolutely, positively are not going to vote for Obama! LOL

And the whole change argument in disingenuous anyway. Intellectual dishonesty.

October 25 2008 at 10:38 AM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
Cincinnati Mike

Meanwhile, back at the video.....
I thought it was weak that Fonzie was leaning against a Chevy instead of his bike.

October 24 2008 at 8:43 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
malren

The problem is not that famous folk voice a political opinion - it's that they often spread the same hate-filled, anti-capitalist, knee-jerk anti-Republican or anti-libertarian divisive s**t as some of the scumbags in this very thread, and when actors do that, they are telling me they don't want me as a fan.

Not sure that's really intelligent on their part, as I spend a small fortune every year on entertainment. But hey, if some idiots want to tell me they hate me because I don't believe that government should - or has the RIGHT - to determine everything that happens in my life, I guess that leaves more of my budget to spend with entertainers that don't spend time telling me how repulsive they think I am.

October 24 2008 at 3:36 AM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
John Stewart

That was awesome, because with a little hair and makeup they really look just like they did back when their shows were on the air, at least Happy Days anyway. I never saw Andy Griffith though.

Thanks for posting this.

October 23 2008 at 9:59 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
Wayne Dunham

Bill L,

I didn't say what my opinion is. I would have been just as angry if "Opie/Richie" and company had been blathering on about McCain.

I just get angry when someone in the public eye gets the impression that their opinion on politics, religion, or just about anything else matters to anyone but themselves.

October 23 2008 at 9:17 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to Wayne Dunham's comment
unsquare

So... because they're in the public eye, their opinion automatically does not matter? Why does someone famous having an opinion and sharing it make you more angry than your neighbor doing the same thing?

You say you'd rather they just tell people to vote instead of telling them how to vote, but I don't understand why someone being famous means they no longer have the right to share an opinion.

Sure, none of these actors are professional political commentators, but they're at least as qualified to talk about politics in a public forum as you and I are. Actors don't suddenly become morally obligated to be neutral on controversial matters when they become famous.

One last thing: writing them off because they "can't even manage their own pathetic lives/careers" is nothing more than prejudice, plain and simple. If you discounted their opinions because of faulty logic or unfounded arguments, that'd be well and good, but resorting to personal attacks just undermines your whole line of reasoning.

October 23 2008 at 9:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Franklin

Wayne,

You're wasting your time. Liberals really do believe actors have some kind of enlightened insight into politics. If they understood that they're taking the word of someone whose only qualifications are being able to lie for money you wouldn't have to try and explain. Deep inside they really know that, but they're desperate for any advantage so they embrace Hollywood's message like a junkie needing a fix.

The pathetic thing is even with all these celebrites spending all this time and money trying to get their candidate elected they have trouble winning. Oh, they win every now and then, but were it not for most of Hollywood and the media shilling they'd never have a prayer.

October 24 2008 at 4:20 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
cantlivewithoutcable

Peanut, please. It's that sort of divisiveness that is ruining the whole country, red state or blue state. Wayne can have an opinion and express it, too -- and should be able to without people like you insulting him.

Scott, I saw the same clip the other day, of McCain saying wealthier people should pay more taxes, and it made me laugh. He's sunk so low in this campaign.

He might have gotten my vote if he'd remained the McCain of 2000 -- and picked a sensible running mate, like Crist or maybe Pawlenty. But now...

I'm sure this thread will become very ugly. Yuk.

October 23 2008 at 8:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Peanut

Wayne Dunham, you're technically retarded, right?

October 23 2008 at 7:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Peanut's comment
Wayne Dunham

Why, because I don't think that "Opie/Richie" and companies political opinions matter?

October 23 2008 at 9:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Wayne Dunham

I am SO tired of "famous" people thinking that their opinions on ANYTHING, especially politics (no matter who, or what they are championing) matter one tinker's darn.
These people for the most part can't even manage their own pathetic lives/careers so what gives them, or more importantly us, the idea that their thoughts and opinions are even the slightest bit "enlightened"?

Sadly, all three of these folks (Howard, Winkler, Griffith) were people I had good opinions of. I have to seriously question that given their sense of self importance.
Take a cue from other celebrities and tell us to VOTE, just don't try to tell us HOW to vote!

Sure makes me want to haul out a picture I have and start some mass Emailings to their contact emails. The picture shows a soldier raising a coffee cup with the caption. "How about a nice cup of SHUT THE !#$% UP!" (ok, the picture has the real 'F' word in it, but I figured it wouldn't fly here)

October 23 2008 at 7:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
4 replies to Wayne Dunham's comment
CraigC

It's nice to see Ron Howard getting back to his roots, though Henry Winkler talking about "loose girls" was slightly unnerving.

Vote for a change to today's economy. For those struggling with finances, take advantage of your options by visiting http://www.paydayloans4cash.com

October 23 2008 at 6:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Franklin

Gosh Pa, there's nothing new or surprising here. We have Hollywood telling us we should vote Marxist and we have Obama Squad linking to it. Now we've got several fondly-remembered television characters forever linked to the fool whose great plans come with no details other than taking money from those that work hard and giving it to those that feel entitled. I guess by association they're also linked to that ugly America-hating man he married, too.

It's telling that the biggest supporters of a socialist state are actors. You know, people whose stock in trade is being something they're not and whose arrogance fills them with the idea that they somehow know enough to tell the rest of us how we should vote. Unfortunately many of the idiots blogging and commenting here just eat it up like it was free government cheese.

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." - Abraham Lincoln

October 23 2008 at 5:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply