September 1, 2014

Gary Unmarried getting a Monday night tryout

by Allison Waldman, posted Oct 24th 2008 10:01AM
Jay MCBS has a killer Monday night lineup. The sitcom block from 8 p.m. to 10 p.m., followed by the very popular CSI: Miami consistently delivers in the Nielsens. The only vulnerable, flexible and soft spot is 9:30, after Two and a Half Men, before Horatio Cane and company.

The network apparently isn't sure that Worst Week has earned that coveted spot -- even though it's doing well enough in the ratings -- or else they're wondering what they have in Gary Unmarried.

Next Monday, Gary Unmarried will get a shot at 9:30. The pilot episode of Gary Unmarried -- which was pretty good -- will be rerun in that cushy timeslot with the idea of getting more people to sample it.

Also, if the show does markedly better than Worst Week, it may get to stay there for a while. Worst Week then, presumably, would take Gary's spot on Wednesdays at 8:30, but that's just speculation at this point.

CBS has tried to transplant the sitcom success from Monday to Wednesday, and as of last night in the Nielsens, The New Adventures of Old Christine and Gary Unmarried are performing better than ABC's Pushing Daisies and NBC's Knight Rider (by behind the World Series on Fox).

I predict that Gary Unmarried will do well after Two and a Half Men in this experiment, but I don't believe the shows belong together. Gary is more of a family sitcom, and not nearly as ribald and vulgar as Men -- which I love, but it is coarse! Last week's show, for instance, had Alicia Witt as a pole dancer give Jon Cryer a lap dance in a very funny, very base way. Pairing Charlie's wanton ways with Gary's wholesome "I got the kids this weekend" fun doesn't seem like a good mix to me.

judi

but where can i get me some divorced-but friends power hour now!?

October 24 2008 at 3:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mike

I dont think Gary Unmarried is funny, it is typical sitcom crap. Chirstine is just disturbing this past weeks episode about sleeping in the same bed as her kid for 5 years was just creepy. I cannot wait till Rules of Engagement is back in the slot where it belongs, the rumor is winter of 2009.

October 24 2008 at 2:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Elizabeth

This is a PERFECT move. I already what everything that night except Worst Week which is terrible. I didn't make it past the first epi. Gary UnMarried has been my comedic stragler but will be perfect on Monday night with Big Bang, HIMYM, and 2.5 Men! LOVE this move!

October 24 2008 at 2:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MERVE-THE-PERVE

I think Gary will do better there as long as they don't have Paula Marshall in a hot tub scene. I still can't get that image out of my head.

October 24 2008 at 1:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lawrence Chen

I watched less than one episode of "Worst Week" to decide that I hated it. Makes for a 30 minute gap where I need to find something else to watch on Monday nights.

I'm liking "Gary Unmarried"....

October 24 2008 at 12:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Franklin

I'm really liking "Gary Unmarried", but news of yet another show I watch being shoved into the Monday lineup is not good. Someone please tell the networks there are 6 more days in the week.

October 24 2008 at 11:48 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Franklin's comment
MIke

Testify, brotha.
I completely disagree with ANY move to Monday nights, Mondays are filled to capacity as it is. With the two Fox shows, Boston Legal and the Nbc lineup, I only have one dual-tuner DVR. I love HIMYM but I have to torrent that show. I was satisfied with Christine and Gary on Wednesday because that was a less crowded spot. Also, aren't Mondays too crowded anyway? Especially if there is a good football match-up, then all hell breaks loose. Just my two cents.

October 24 2008 at 5:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
vicki

Worst Week was not good. I didn't last past episode 1. Gary Unmarried I like. Funny, not to overly ridiculous. Could use a little tweeking but a funny show.

October 24 2008 at 11:25 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to vicki's comment
Carissa

The first two episodes of Worst Week were incredibly funny to me. I have watched them more than once and continue to laugh out loud every time. I have to assume that is why I don't normally watch sitcoms. Everyone else has a sense of humor completely different than mine.

I never even tried Gary UnMarried (although I like Jay Mohr very much) and quit Old Christine ages ago. Whatever..I'm glad some people can get laughs from the world, even if it ain't supposed to be me! :-)

October 24 2008 at 12:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
SpaceVenus

Do you know what happened to Rules of Engagement? I loves me some Patrick Warburton.

October 24 2008 at 10:56 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jim

I've watched Big Bang since last year, and I've just recently started watching Two And A Half Men, so I like the move. It would make more sense, though, to run Gary Unmarried *before* Two And A Half Men, wouldn't it?

For the record, I don't watch Christine. I couldn't get past the pilot.

October 24 2008 at 10:40 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Jim's comment
Muffin

i'd recommend returning to old christine. it hit its stride in the third season in a big way, and has been terrific since.

October 24 2008 at 10:49 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply