July 25, 2014

Saturday Night Live: Weekend Update Thursday (October 23, 2008) - VIDEOS

by Annie Wu, posted Oct 24th 2008 11:00AM
McCain, Palin, Bush
Well, that concludes Saturday Night Live's three week run of "Weekend Update Thursday." There were some good jokes here and there, including tonight's especially strong cold open, but looking back, we really could have done without these three episodes. Most of this material, election-related and otherwise, could have been bumped to the regular Saturday program without any problem. I'm sure we could come up with a list of sketches in the past few SNLs that deserved to be replaced. Someone fix my time machine and let's get this job done. I don't want to hear any of that "There's no such thing as a flux capacitor" bullcrap.

Cold Open (George W. Bush endorsement): It's been a while since I've seen a Will Ferrell movie that I've liked, so I was tremendously excited for his return as Bush. Will Forte and Jason Sudeikis are both super-funny guys, but neither of them have quite nailed Bush the way Ferrell has. Sure, his impression isn't spot-on, but Ferrell embraced the character enough for the audience to overlook that, unlike the performances of Forte and Sudeikis. Anyway, the combination of Tina Fey's Sarah Palin and Ferrell's Dubya was absolutely amazing. This whole cold open was strong.

"Weekend Update": I'm not sure if anyone that doesn't watch 24-hour news networks got Fred Armisen's map thing. Personally, I got the joke, because I've often fantasized about geeking out over a giant touchscreen. I guess the folks at SNL felt the same way and wheeled in one from, like, MSNBC or something. Kenan Thompson brought back his "FIX IT!" guy, who wasn't as funny the second time. The first time was just barely okay anyway.

I'll laugh at people talking about throwing up, but I didn't think Andy Samberg's "Jam the Vote" was quite as funny as it could have been. The real beauty of vomit jokes lies in the moment before it actually happens. Just check out this super-old clip of Stephen Colbert and Steve Carell from The Dana Carvey Show, in a sketch called "Waiters Who Are Nauseated By Food." In other news, giant cell phones are hilarious.

PORSCHE

Put some hose on for goodness sake. in fact the pic would be funnier if wearing garters

October 25 2008 at 12:29 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joel

I guess it worked this time... who knows.

I have no problem with satire or SNL giving the candidates a hard time, they've been doing it well for years, I understand. And I realize SNL isn't trying to go for equitable, but give me a break. Not one joke about Obama? Nothing on Biden? Seriously??? Ol' Joe creates enough comic fodder to fill hours of television, yet SNL instead turns a blind eye and chooses to ram a new one up the McCain-Palin ticket's rear. When did SNL stop being a comedy show and start becoming a propaganda arm of the democratic nominee? Seriously, if Palin had stated that her running mate wasn't ready to lead or focused on the three letter word "jobs" then she would have been ridiculed from here to eternity. We would be as familiar with her gaffes as we are of Quayle's potatoE. But nothing on Joe, or Obama's questionable associations. Anyone who is being honest (please step up well-intentioned, truthful Democrats, I know you are out there and you know I'm right!) has to admit that the media bias against McCain and Palin is incredible.

October 24 2008 at 7:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joel

For some reason I'm having a hard time posting a comment on this topic.

October 24 2008 at 7:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ac

Man I forgot how funny Will Ferrel playing Bush was. Will and Tina were hilarious together.

October 24 2008 at 5:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Arnold

When are the producers going to realize that Kenan Thompson is not that funny. Sure he was funny when he was on Nickelodeon but we were also 12 years old and thought it was hilarious for a person to eat nothing but chocolate. His audience has grown up but his humor hasnt. As of right now, he is taking up spot for a more talented newcomer.

October 24 2008 at 3:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jim

Interactive map: funny.
Jam The Vote: not funny.
Kenan: not funny.

October 24 2008 at 2:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dan

The current people on SNL are simply pathetic. SNL hasn't been very good in a long time, but these awful writers and actors are definitely a new low. The "Fix It" skit was not only stupid, but it was a repeat of the previous week. The vomiting sketch was not only disgusting, but as per the usual SNL issue, it went on WAY too long!

Really? Is this REALLY the best they can come up with?
Palin, McCain and Bush are easy to make fun of...and so are Bill O'Reilly, Keith Olbermann, Joe Scarborough and many other news commentators. Wouldn't it be funnier if they did a round table of those people than some of these awful skits?

To think, SNL was the starting point for so many great comedians, where did they all go? How has the Daily Show replaced it?

October 24 2008 at 2:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mike

"I'm sure we could come up with a list of sketches in the past few SNLs that deserved to be replaced"

Often times after watching a really bad SNL sketch I wonder how bad the ones are that they decided weren't TV worthy. They must have been truly putrid.

October 24 2008 at 1:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bob

tina's got great legs. we need more shows with tina in them. did i mention she's got great legs?

October 24 2008 at 12:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Bob's comment
jamie

Or you could just watch 30 Rock when it premieres next week at the same time as Weekend Update Thursday on NBC.

October 24 2008 at 7:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Drex

This was the best of the SNL updates so far... I love Kenans' "fix guy", but I work in a large office so this hits home really well for me.. I also LMAO at Fred and that board.. "and look, I can make Michigan bounce!" great stuff.. Andy was Andy, another great skit that gets better everytime you watch it..

unfunny Danna Carvey show is unfunny