October 30, 2014

The Ghost Hunters go back to school

by Richard Keller, posted Oct 24th 2008 2:55PM

Get ready for a younger generation of spirit hunters in Ghost Hunters:College EditionWell, this was probably inevitable. With the success of A&E's Paranormal State hanging over the heads of the SciFi Channel, the network has given a thumbs-up to a new Ghost Hunters pilot that will join the original as well as Ghost Hunters International and Ghost Hunter Babies. All right, there is no such thing as Ghost Hunter Babies, but it would be a good idea. Think about it for a moment -- the babies would literally be peeing and pooping in their pants when they saw or felt something ghost-like rather than just saying that they did.

The new pilot is called Ghost Hunters: College Edition. In this edition the hunters would be, you guessed it, college students. Instead of teaming up and performing investigations on their own -- like they do on Paranormal State -- these students would team up with professional investigators to examine claims of paranormal events across the globe. In other words, look for some cross-overs between this show and its two older siblings.

I understand that Ghost Hunters is one of the SciFi Channel's hits, but isn't the network heading towards the point of saturation by adding a third series? With three series you begin to parse out smaller and smaller groups of viewers to each show, which brings down the popularity of the original. Something to think about, network executives, when you decide on giving a green light to Ghost Hunters: The Animated Series.

jkmkay

I'd like all the GH shows better if they'd let Joe Nickell or Ben Bradford join the team.Maybe have some guest investigators of their ilk once in awhile.

October 25 2008 at 7:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
eric f

Anyone else think they should do a scripted drama spinoff of the show with Michael Chiklis as the lead? I always think of him when I see the guy on GH.

October 25 2008 at 11:50 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
FreeAgent

I agree with AC in regards to the college aspect. BTW i can't stand that Paranormal Project show. I think it's just so bad.

October 24 2008 at 7:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ac

I think a series that focused on paranormal events at colleges would be a better idea than just having college students going anywhere and investigating for proof of ghosts. I mean every college has that legend that someone haunts that building because of ____. I mean my college alone allegidly has an old mansion and one of the dorm buildings that are allegidly haunted. There is supposed to be a ghost hunter coming to investigate and he is bringing along anyone interested. I'm definatley going since I've always had in interest in hauntings. Which is why I like the original ghost hunters show. It seems to be the only one on television that isn't staged. They actually take what they are doing seriously.

October 24 2008 at 5:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Amy

I'm not a fan of Ghost Hunters International, which is odd because 'The Wrath' episode at the Irish ruins is one of the creepiest moments from GH, the team just doesn't have good chemistry together. Barry is the only standout, albeit a little too paranoid.

October 24 2008 at 4:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
banderweir

Ghost Hunters is one of my favorite shows, but GH:International sucks. I realize that paranormal shows are becoming more popular, but Sci/Fi should have just created an entirely new show, not slapped the GH franchise name on another possible (and likely from the sound of it) flop, diminishing from the GH name even more.

Way to go guys. Squeeze every last penny (and bit of life) out of that show you can.

October 24 2008 at 3:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gudlyf

Believe it or not, when I met with the GH team a few weeks ago, I swear they mentioned there was talk about an animated series that they were glad never saw the light of day. No shit.

October 24 2008 at 12:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply