October 30, 2014

Law and Order coming back...and other NBC news

by Allison Waldman, posted Oct 25th 2008 2:33PM
NBC logoDoes the return of Law and Order to the weekly NBC lineup strike a "welcome back" chord, or does it mean that the Peacock needs a boost in the ratings from a tried and true player? I think it's the latter, because just weeks into the new season, NBC is floundering in the Nielsens, prompting a change in the schedule.

First, Law and Order is returning this week. On Wednesday, October 29, NBC presents what could be called their crime-time line up -- Knight Rider at 8, Life at 9, and Law and Order at 10.

Clearly, with the pick up earlier this week for Knight Rider, NBC is committed to the show despite the weak ratings. Presenting this solid Wednesday block of cop shows will hopefully translate into better Nielsen numbers.

Meanwhile, Lipstick Jungle is sliding over to Friday at 10, after Crusoe. I know, I know...how do you pair a literary-inspired action series about a castaway with an urban, chick-fest, Sex and the City-wannbe and expect to hit the same target audience? You don't. This looks like a Friday shakeup without much hope for success.

NBC also reported that their new reality series, Momma's Boys, produced by Ryan Seacrest, is being shelved till December. It was originally planned to be shown after the Summer Olympics. Now it's slated for Tuesday, December 16, at 10, taking over that time slot after The Biggest Loser finale.

BillS

I'm not sure anyone's going to care about Law & Order. I watched every episode last season, and when I saw the commercial I failed to recognize it as Law & Order... I was thinking "Jeremy Sisto and Anthony Anderson in a cop show? I might watch that" before realizing they'd been partners on L&O for several episodes last year.

October 27 2008 at 2:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Riley Freeman

thank god they put life back on a better time slot. this crap they were doing was wrong. and im glad they are putting back or keeping law and order during a good day and not the friday night death slot. (cant remember what slot it has last year)

nbc is finally wising up. something for me to watch on wednesdays now

October 26 2008 at 1:47 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Saavik

Yay! Now, not only do I have something to watch every hour on Wednesday nights (8 is definitely not Knight Rider though, it's Pushing Daisies), but I don't have to decide between Life and Numbers any more.

October 25 2008 at 10:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
C C

NBC must take care of Life. It's not a hit right now, but if they just keep it on the air, I think it will slowly build an audience. It's just too appealing. And Life is the kind of series that will be a hit in syndication (if it gets to the four season mark). By the way, last night's episode-ridiculously cool.

October 25 2008 at 10:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Monic

I'm so glad they finally moved Life from the death slot. The show deserves better than that timeslot..

October 25 2008 at 8:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ben

Are you sure? The NBC schedule shows Knight Rider, Deal or no Deal, and Lipstick Jungle on Wednesday beginning Nov. 5th.

Even the NBC 'Law and Order' website says new episodes aren't coming until early 2009.

October 25 2008 at 7:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to ben's comment
D-Bo

Yup this has been on NBC promos the last day or two. I too am glad to see Life in a decent time slot. It may actually stick around for L&O rather than catch the reruns like I usually do. Don't forget we're entering fall sweeps.

October 25 2008 at 9:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Edward

Just saw a commercial that says L&O coming back on November 5

October 26 2008 at 12:45 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
eric f

Speaking of which, Life was excellent this week.

October 25 2008 at 4:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Steve

Life has some life?

Woohoo!

October 25 2008 at 3:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
southsidebruce

nbc is getting more and more stupid year by year.....and with losing e.r. after this season, they are dead to me anway....even if life is really great, it will be canned after that much schedule shake-ups, that's for sure

October 25 2008 at 2:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply