September 17, 2014

I'm in hell: High School Musical 3 is the #1 movie this weekend

by Brad Trechak, posted Oct 26th 2008 6:20PM
High School MusicalIt was the first theatrical release of the franchise. The first two were direct-to-television movies on the Disney Channel. However, High School Musical 3 stomped the competition with a $42 million opening and the number one spot for this past weekend.

Given the amount of merchandising and publicity the entire franchise has (walk into any Toys R Us to see it), this outcome is really no surprise. It's a wonder the second movie wasn't released directly to the theater rather than the Disney Channel.

I was once forced to watch the first movie and found it to be this generation's version of Grease. I understand the franchise for what it is: a saccharine, watered-down, feel-good musical for kids that have the depth of a potato chip using the same sort of music sung by Britney and her pop kin. I just don't get the appeal. But then, I'm not the target demographic.

But even if this particular franchise ends, the market for Disney kid's movie musicals will sadly drive onwards. Two words: Camp Rock.

hewardsion

It was out standing movie teen topic movie series any body is fallen love with. Brand new songs added. Most beautiful thing about the movie is it is fallowing story from the part one, actors were grate. Lot to learn as a teen and adults too can enjoy the movie. http://www.80millionmoviesfree.com is where I found the movie. It is easy to see from home else hanging on the traffic

October 29 2008 at 6:16 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Scott

I have no intention of seeing "High School Musical 3" (never saw the first 2), yet I'm absolutely thrilled that it clobbered "Saw 5" to be the number 1 movie this weekend. Derivative, soulless fluff beats derivative, soulless snuff any day of the year.

October 27 2008 at 3:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
AJ

HSM is just so bad it's good. Like there is no way you can't enjoy it. Whether you love it or you think it's completely stupid and just make fun of it. It's a good time. It's a new camp classic. But really go rent the first two and drink a few beers. Good times will ensue.

October 27 2008 at 2:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
rick cokely

Oh, I can totally relate. I loathed The Fifth Element when I finally figured out that the Fifth Element was love. Ugh.

October 27 2008 at 2:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
tracey8051

As a parent, I for one am glad that someone is making movies like this. I haven't seen this one yet, but I'm pretty sure no one gets murdered, raped, knocked up, cussed out, beaten or arrested. There just really aren't very many movies being released these days that I would allow my daughter to see. This franchise fits the bill. Perhaps it does have the "depth of a potato chip" but most of the action movies are the same way. I bet you like those fine though.

And yeah, my kid will probably watch Camp Rock, too. I'm okay with that. I'd like to keep the "isn't the world sickeningly sweet" vibe as long as possible.

October 27 2008 at 1:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Riley Freeman

saw 5 should have been number 1. its a water down. fake load of garbage. kids dancing and singing. where do u ever see that foolishness. should have been direct to dvd. im in hell too

October 27 2008 at 7:58 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tristan

Well I managed to head out to the midnight release of it and I must say that I was impressed. I got to see all of my favorite East High students on the big screen for the first time in all their glory. It was definitely better than any of the previous movies with more realistic plot. Troy Bolton (Zac Efron) will forever remain my favorite person in it and he and Gabriella (Vanessa Hudgens) had the best parts. I loved the movie and are already planning on getting it in blu-ray.

Dont doubt it, at least go and see it if you are a fan of the series or even interested in seeing East High Wildcats. I wish my graduate and prom was like theirs

October 27 2008 at 1:38 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jake

ONCE AGAIN why do you tv squad bloggers insist on writing negative blogs on tv shows and movies that you hate or have never even seen? It's frustrating.

October 27 2008 at 1:04 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
YouFaceTheTick

"I was once forced to watch the first movie and found it to be this generation's version of Grease."

Grease was far more clever and sexy than HSM. There's really no comparing them. Grease lives on as a musical because it is clever and fun. HSM appeals to one tiny demographic.

October 26 2008 at 11:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
brianhague

How can you not see the appeal? They are fun care-free, glorified versions of high school with catchy sing-along songs sung by ridiculously attractive disney stars? Of course kids are going to eat it up by the truck load.

You said it yourself, you aren't the demographic, but even so you have to admit, the reasons it is popular should be painfully obvious, especially to a pop-culture blogger.

October 26 2008 at 10:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply