August 30, 2014

The Amazing Race: Do It Like a Madman

by Jackie Schnoop, posted Oct 26th 2008 10:20PM
Toni and Dallas, mother and son team on The Amazing Race
(S13E05) "His haircut makes him look like Teen Wolf." - Either Kelly or Christy about Dallas.

Kelly and Christy's impressions of Dallas not withstanding, I think that Dallas and Toni are the best son and mother team ever to be on The Amazing Race. Of course, the only other mother and son I can think of was a few years back and they had issues. Dallas might not know where New Zealand or Cambodia are, but he's got a great relationship with him Mom. I'm cheering on Teen Wolf and the Wolf Mother! But how did they make out tonight? Read on!

Read the darned clues!
What is with Kelly and Christy? Once again tonight, they didn't read a clue -- well, to be more precise, they just started following people and didn't bother to pick up their clue! After shooting a couple of baskets in the Detour, it dawned on them. "Duh, were we supposed to get a clue for this?" I just don't understand how this team makes it to the Pit Stop each week, usually not even next to last, and squeaks on by. True, in their favor, they really go for it with gusto. But one of these weeks their gusto is going to lead them the opposite direction of their clue.

Then there's the Frats
Andrew didn't know where Cambodia is. I'm not sure geography courses in the schools are up to par. I can understand with new countries, changing name countries ... but Cambodia has been around for a long, long time. These guys don't always follow clues correctly and can usually manage to screw up even when they do read a clue right. Between their bickering, these buddies couldn't even get the hang of pumping gas with a hand pump into a cylinder. Dan's supposedly "intense" while Andrew likes to cruise. Well, Andrew found out he can't pump gas like a baby, eh?

About those other teams ...
I'm running so hot and cold on Tina and Ken that I'm not sure how I feel about them. They seemed to take folks passing them at times tonight in stride. But I know that both have a wicked nasty side to them. At least they didn't come in first again. Nick and Starr still call Ken and Tina "Mom and Dad." Starr seems to have had a miraculous recovery from her injury in the last leg.

I was liking Ty and Aja a lot more tonight. Until the end of the show, that is. He made me snicker when he said he wouldn't trade her in for a Porsche. Aja was very upbeat despite the fact they knew they were far behind due to the late start and the flight choice. Then there's Sarah and Terence. Just when I think he's so needy, she turns whiny as he goes strong (with the boat breakdown). They still rub me the wrong way.

The challenges
I got a kick out of the tasks in the Village Life Detour, especially when either Kelly or Christy actually thought they had to take the woman's teeth from the dentist. I would have thought that the Village Life choice would have been more time-intensive than the Working Life one, but I guess I'd be thinking wrong.

As for the Roadblock, I couldn't believe how lost Tina got herself Nick hiding his sculpture relief clue under his t-shirt while the other teams all stared at him was like watching a shoplifter try to walk out with a Butterball turkey in t-shirt!

In both the Detour and the Roadblock, we viewers were the winners, taking in the history, scenery, and modern day culture of a country so far removed from our own. While there is poverty, there is also a rich culture and some breathtaking architecture. Now, I'm not so sure what cultural significance a floating basketball court has, but there you go.

The Pit Stop Order for reference
1. Nick and Starr -- won a trip to St. Jean
2. Toni and Dallas
3. Terence and Sarah
4. Ken and Tina
5. Kelly and Christy
6. Andrew and Dan
7. Ty and Aja -- Philiminated

I think we must be coming due for a non-elimination leg soon, don't you? Phil announced at the end of the show that Terence and Sarah would have a 30-minute penalty for receiving a speeding ticket. Instead of receiving the penalty at the Pit Stop, they will delay their departure from it. I found that all a bit odd even though he said it wouldn't change the outcome of the Pit Stop order. I'm wondering what kind of time differences they had. I know in starting out the leg, it was about nine hours between first and last to depart.

At this time, which team do YOU want to win the race?
Nick and Starr83 (19.3%)
Toni and Dallas287 (66.9%)
Terence and Sarah13 (3.0%)
Ken and Tina19 (4.4%)
Kelly and Christy16 (3.7%)
Andrew and Dan11 (2.6%)

Chester

How do you beg in Cambodia?

October 27 2008 at 9:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sarah

"Where's the money? Am I missing this - I haven't seen any reference to how much money the competitors are starting each round with."

For this last leg, they received $98.00. They showed either Tina or Toni saying that when they got the first clue. I've heard it mentioned a couple of other times this season as well, but they don't seem to be putting much emphasis on it.

October 27 2008 at 4:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chris

Just one question about this season:

Where's the money? Am I missing this - I haven't seen any reference to how much money the competitors are starting each round with. This was such an integral part of the show, including many amusing scenes where the competitors had to beg for cash. So have they done away with this element this season?

October 27 2008 at 4:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
david

"I just don't understand how this team makes it to the Pit Stop each week, usually not even next to last, and squeaks on by."

Have you seen the other teams... none of them are exactly lighting the world on fire either

"I would have thought that the Village Life choice would have been more time-intensive than the Working Life one, but I guess I'd be thinking wrong."

Did you see the size of the "floating city" in a boat like that it couldnt take longer than a minute or two to go from one side to the other.

October 27 2008 at 1:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
davidm3825

I'd like to see the mother and son team win but I think she will have a tough time keeping up when they get down to 3 or 4 teams. Tina goes postal next week and they too had it easier when there were lots of teams. As much as I want them to lose, I think the team to beat will be Terence and Sarah. I can see Nick and Sarah competing against them in the finals.

October 27 2008 at 12:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Beachbum516

It's St. John (part of the USVI) not St. Jean.

October 27 2008 at 10:53 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Cheng-Jih Chen

I think they must have had a 36 hour break between legs in New Zealand, as opposed to the usual 12 hour one. Phil has enough pull with the producers to make it a long break so he can hang out with his family.

Given that, Star's injury shouldn't be much of an issue almost 2 days after it happened.

October 27 2008 at 8:41 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
David D

Also, I think that more time had passed between these past two legs, rather than (what we're always told) twelve hours later. If you noticed, Phil did not say "Ken and Tina, who arrived at 6:03 PM, will depart at 6:03 AM." They just left early in the morning. So perhaps there was a little more time for Starr's injury to heal.

I think Kelly and Christy are icky. "We're really intelligent," they informed us. "Hey, aren't we supposed to get a clue somewhere?"

October 27 2008 at 8:26 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chester

To be fair to Starr.
When you are sleep deprived and hungry injuries can seem amplified in the pain department.;
A friend of mine just got back from Mexico and the chick with the amputated leg from a previous race was there and told my buddy that sometimes they go without sleep and food for 36 hours or more. Oh, and she's with another guy..surprise surprise!!!!

October 27 2008 at 3:25 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rhonda

I wonder why they was making fun of him. Wasn't one of them flirting with him at the beginning of the race.

Does anyone else think that Star milked her injury? She didn't look all that injured when she was celebrating on the mat.

October 27 2008 at 2:38 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply