October 21, 2014

Things are looking grim for The Ex List

by Allison Waldman, posted Oct 27th 2008 8:04AM
Reasoner-Ex ListAs Jason wrote the other day, this has been a strange TV season thus far, with only two shows having been given the pink slip. That said, I think CBS's The Ex List is not long for this world. There are a couple of really good reasons I say this, and just so you know, I'm not wishing for its demise. I can just read the handwriting on the wall.

The Nielsen ratings from last Friday show that the shows around The Ex List -- Ghost Whisperer and Numb3rs -- posted their highest ratings of the season to date. Nearly 10 million viewers watched the Jennifer Love Hewitt show, while another 9 million were glued to the Rob Morrow brotherly procedural at 10 p.m. In between, however, The Ex List drooped to a season low 5.6 million.

If you were drawing this on a chart, it would look like a U, with Ex List scrapping the bottom. These Nielsen numbers are dismal. It means people are tuning in to CBS at 8, tuning out at 9 and coming back at 10. CBS is not going to accept that. It's inevitable that something else will be plugged in to build a solid Friday.

There's another reason to think that The Ex List is on life support. Original show-runner Diane Ruggiero walked off the show before the season premiere. Having watched the first four shows, the quality of each episode is diminishing and it looks less and less like what Ruggiero does well. Bella's search for her former beaus is becoming tedious. The charm is going, going and soon will be gone. Perhaps if Ruggiero had stuck with the show, it wouldn't be failing like this.

So, between the ratings and Ruggiero's defection, I'm throwing in the towel on The Ex-List. Like many others, it seems, I'll be looking for something else to watch on Fridays at 10.

Mariah

I'm going to be one of those crazy fans for a sec... guess those steady and increasing Moonlight numbers are looking a better now, huh?
8 million isn't so shabby now...

October 28 2008 at 7:53 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Saavik

Looks like you were right on the money: Ausiello is reporting over at EW that "CBS is pulling the struggling freshman drama off its schedule, effective immediately."

October 27 2008 at 10:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jimmy

The real shame here is that Elizabeth Reaser is actually a very good actress who deserves better. Her guest stint in the last few episodes of Grey's Anatomy last season were Emmy worthy. This show, however, is just bad. There was something there with the premise, but it was just poorly executed. It's another example of Hollywood taking a short-lived foreign TV series and trying to drag it out over 22 episodes; it just doesn't work.

October 27 2008 at 9:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
David

We stopped watching it half-way through the 3rd episode...it was just too cheesy and predictable. Nice concept, disappointing execution.

October 27 2008 at 2:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jaerisk

The Ex-List sucks,however, it would have made a swell cliche' filled summer chick flick.

October 27 2008 at 11:50 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Anita

I'm up in the air about that. I watched the first ep and thought it was cute, but needed time for development. While I think the show has potential & love chickTV, it is a bit tedious watching the character flit from bf to bf. Although the love interests change, the main character never really grows. I'll admit Ruggiero's defection has also lessened my interest. I wonder if the show under its original creator would have the same charm, but am too bored to find out.

October 27 2008 at 9:22 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mary

I was so excited about the Ex-List this summer - the premise sounded cute. When I saw the actual show it was horrible. First, talk about suspending belief - who would think that Bella would hook up with so many gorgeous men who would instantly fall back in love again. I find her personality so offputting she does not have a redeeming quality or relationship that makes me root for her or her quest. Then her roommates and sister - all slutty slackers. What does Bella or the show find interesting about these people that we would like to come back to see them. If I were a decent guy interested in Bella, I would run screaming when I saw her friends hanging out in baby pools, shaving their private parts, having a "relationship" with a shower head. I mean who developed these people. Give us a show with a charismatic lead with friends who support her and then maybe we would invest in her journey.

October 27 2008 at 9:22 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply