September 18, 2014

What the heck is Legend of the Seeker?

by Bob Sassone, posted Oct 27th 2008 1:46PM
Legend of the SeekerIt sounds like the title of an mid-90s game show on Nickelodeon, but it's actually the title of a new syndicated adventure series from Sam Raimi.

Wow, "syndicated adventure series." Whatever happened to all of those cheesy syndicated adventure shows that used to dot the television landscape? There used to be dozens of them on the weekends and late at night. Sitcoms too. There aren't too many of them anymore, replaced by reality, home improvement, court shows, and talk shows, or not replaced at all.

This show by Raimi (and Rob Tapert) is based on the Terry Goodkind books about a heroic woodsman who does battle against the evil Darken Rahl with the help of a hot female bodyguard named Kahlan. It sounds silly and over the top and Legend of the Seeker is a horrible title (unless you're making a kids video game or a follow-up to the self-help book The Secret), but this could actually be a lot of fun.

I just hope it's more Highlander than Jack of All Trades. It premieres this Saturday (check local listings). You can watch the first 10 minutes here.

Tim

Yes, serious differences for now. Maybe they throw more in later?!

But I'm watching...

November 11 2008 at 6:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Niron Khan

The concept is good but the plot deviates alot from what made the book awesome... go look it up on wikipedia and read the plot differences between book and show... they annoy me.

November 01 2008 at 7:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Niron Khan's comment
Burbfan

Well. THIS sure got quiet in a hurry. Anyone planning to watch the 2nd week to see the evolution?

November 06 2008 at 7:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Burbfan

Oh, yeah--I thought I read Leno, but that makes sense. Duh.

And scottR, sorry--I come from years in Trek fandom and computers, I follow Chuck and PD now ... and do know a couple guys working on this show, but "widget" is just a comp term; I guess I could have said "tool"-- and "PR it" is just the way I talk. That single line URL was to make it stand out when I didnt see a link system (and didnt "get" the http setup--and yes, I do now; this is the 2nd or 3rd site to work I just got on that way). I was going to post the Aussie fans' vid link of Craig/Richard on Regis & Kelly... but blew it off then. So here it is now:

So, a rant--no. :-) I was just taken aback; this is just the way I talk!

Anyway--WATCH THE SHOW, people, and TELL your like-minded friends. Let's make an impact. The fan sites are saying "Get Out the Viewer" (sted of "vote," get it?) but it is the same kind of election--Nielsen elections.
(Also: I posted this last night, but it didn't take. Better luck to me now, hopefully (and copied to keep, first!)

October 31 2008 at 6:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tim

I thought it was A Song of Ice and Fire? ;-)

Thanks for the info Burbfan. But I thought Bridget was going to be on Kimmel. Which would make sense as all those other "PR" bits are ABC/Disney.

October 31 2008 at 12:24 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Scott R

Pardon me Burbfan, but you seem to be affiliated with the show, judging by the new account, single post, mentioning the advertising for the show (as 'PR it'), pointing out a 'widget' on the website, and the gratuitous website link on a separate line.

I don't mind people from shows actually posting on sites like this, but please don't pretend to be an average joe excited for the show.

Of course, I could be wrong. Feel free to rant back.

@ Jim, that is the perfect description of ASOFAI. Probably less on the LOTR side, but still a good tagline.

October 29 2008 at 2:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Burbfan

Glad to see this story for the premiere, which is Nov. 1-2. The cast has been all over this week to PR it--The View, Regis--Leno next week. Being syndicated, it has varied local stations--they have a widget at the official site to give the local station per zip code.
legendoftheseeker.com

October 29 2008 at 1:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jim Kosmicki

Song of Fire and Ice would most likely be the first fantasy series that my wife would enjoy watching. HBO just needs to sell it as The Sopranos meets The Tudors meets Lord of the Rings. I know, I know, that's really simplifying the depth of the story and plot, but a tagline HAS to be simple and direct. Get them in and then let the complexity keep them as viewers.

and Jack of All Trades was much fun. It's the one series from that timeperiod that I bought the boxset. You have to accept its silliness, but if you do, it's choice.

October 28 2008 at 1:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Scott R

Forgot the HTML tags. I meant to say "The 'object' of the 'not quite so physical object'"

October 27 2008 at 7:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Scott R

Gah. The first book in the series was pretty good, but I had a hard time getting through the next few, until I just stopped. Not a good sign when all your book titles can be described by the template "The of the < not quite so physical object >".

Sam Raimi is an executive producer, so we'll see if he actually effects a good outcome for the show.

Personally, I'll just wait and see if HBO actually makes George Martin's Song of Fire and Ice series. Now THAT'S some good reading.

October 27 2008 at 7:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tim

As for the name, most show titles focus on the person, not the object. Sword of Truth was a fine name for a book series, but for TV you need to sell it differently. The person on the poster is the Seeker (holding the sword of truth). Think shows like Xena, Buffy, Hercules, Highlander, Dark Angel, Angel, etc. All focus on the main person.

Wizard's First Rule was the original title for the show, but Raimi and Goodkind said that the show isn't about wizards per se, but the hero, the Seeker.

This weekend all will be revealed!

October 27 2008 at 6:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply