April 23, 2014

Halloween movies that scarred me for life: Trilogy of Terror!

by Bob Sassone, posted Oct 28th 2008 5:11PM
So Halloween is a few days away, and I'm reminded of the scariest TV movie I've ever seen. Actually, it might be the scariest movie I've ever seen, period. Maybe it was because I was a little kid, and maybe it was because I watched it alone on Halloween one year, but the original Trilogy of Terror scared the hell out of me.

The movie is split into three different segments. While the first two stories are interesting and well done, it's the third segment that scarred me for life.

Karen Black plays a woman who gets a Zuni Fetish Doll (which I've written about before) and the thing comes to life and chases her around her apartment. The thing is obviously a puppet, but it doesn't matter, it's intense. He stabs her with his little sword, tries to bite her, and just runs around the place making this weird sound with his voice that can best be described as "Yahrg yahrg yahrg...a gadda gadda...yahrg!!!!!" It's like one of Jim Henson's Muppets wanting to devour your soul. The ending is sick and a real downer.

I haven't seen the movie in a while, but this Halloween might be the year I introduce some of my nephews and nieces to it. Maybe a double feature with It's The Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown?

Wes

Great show! I remember begging mom to let me watch it. I had no idea it was on DVD. At that time I also remember watching "The Gargoyles" movie on TV with my brothers. Another campy classic.

October 29 2008 at 8:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dan Chichian

This movie was pretty creepy and it is funny because I really don't remember the first two segments only the doll.

There used to be a show (one season I think that aired around 1970) called Circle of Fear that scared me silly.

October 29 2008 at 1:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lizzy

anyone remember Kiss Meets the Phantom of the Park? Think that deserves a Halloween viewing.

October 29 2008 at 11:13 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Auden Fan

"Don't Be Afraid of the Dark" terrified me too when I saw it when I was around eight or so!!!! There are actually e few clips from the movie on youtube.com.

October 28 2008 at 10:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
sara

It's actually based on one of the short stories in I Am Legend by Richard Matheson (the title novella is the story that the Will Smith movie was based on).

October 28 2008 at 7:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to sara's comment
Melissa

Thank you! That was bugging me... I couldn't remember where I knew this plot from.

October 29 2008 at 3:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
carpathian

No shame here, Bob. It IS truly one of the scariest things ever put on television. Dan Curtis (of DARK SHADOWS & NIGHT STALKER fame) directed, and did a bloodthirsty good job of it.

Just a correction: he didn't stab her with his little spear; he'd picked up a butcher knife from the kitchen counter, which made it even worse...

I remember vividly her trying to lock him in a suitcase, and that knife sawing through the top...very intense...

And Athena? The movie you're thinking of was DON'T BE AFRAID OF THE DARK, with Kim Darby. Also a very creepy film...

October 28 2008 at 7:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to carpathian's comment
athena

OH YES!!!That's the one carpathian,thank you!I wouldn't have slept all night trying to remember it lol.

October 28 2008 at 8:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
athena

excuse my spelling mistake I'm usually very careful.It's THEIR house not there.

October 28 2008 at 7:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
athena

There was another movie on tv that scared the bejesus out of me although I can't remember the name.It was about a couple who had just bought there house,and unbeknownst them there were these little creatures living in the house,in the walls.They looked very little like tiny humans.They were after the wife for some reason,and the husband ddn't believe her,and so on and so forth.

October 28 2008 at 7:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to athena's comment
Kristina

I remember that movie too. Saw it when I was about 9 or 10 years old at a sleep over. Scared the living daylights out of me. I can't remember the title either.

October 28 2008 at 7:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
athena

I actually remember this movie lol.I t kind of scared me too,although I love horror movies etc.

October 28 2008 at 7:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kristina

Oh boy, I loved that movie!

She just couldn't leave the oven door closed, could she?

October 28 2008 at 5:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply