April 23, 2014

Heroes: Eris Quod Sum

by Jason Hughes, posted Oct 28th 2008 8:48AM
Heroes' Elle (Kristen Bell)(S03E07) Have you noticed how quickly an episode of Heroes goes by? It's not a bad thing, but it just goes to show you how much they pack into each episode. It helps that they're juggling forty to fifty storylines at any given time. It's one of those things where when you're looking at writing up a review of the show there's just so much that happens. Again, I liked this episode but there weren't any major developments as far as the bigger events.

We did have another de-powering as well as another death. Kristen Bell returned to the show as the troubled Elle, and Claire's mom again showed us what her power was by holding her palm up and having fire dance on it. Hey lady, we're sooo over it! Does Peter get his powers back? Does Sylar really just need a hug? Did Hayden Panattiere finally get any acting lessons so she can show more than "earnest" on her face?

Hero By Hero
  • Nathan - So last time we saw Nathan and Tracy they were strapped down in Suresh's lab and begging to be saved. Now they're just sitting there chatting him up?
  • Suresh - In fact, Mohinder was pretty much back to the old Suresh as far as his behavior went. Even after he took Maya to Pinehearst (that came out of nowhere, too) he wasn't nearly as unstable. Either he's got massive mood swings, like spider-PMS or something, or he's regaining control of his emotions.
  • Maya - It looks like we may finally be saying goodbye for good to the boobs. In fact, she didn't even give us one last good shot of them. De-powered by Papa Petrellie, because he needs a massive killing power like that, she's pretty much useless right now.
  • Tracy - Tracy's purpose this episode was to be "the girl." She even got all Pandora by just having to touch the coccoons in Suresh's lab. As for that, what the hell is going on with those. Maya was still alive, as was this guy. I don't think even Suresh knows what he's doing.
  • Angela - Every time I think I understand her powers, I find out there's more to her than I thought. So now she can visit people in their dreams. I'm thinking her precognitive dreams are just on facet of a larger power based in the dream realm.
  • Sylar - This is the only character whose evolution makes perfect sense. He's so craving parental affection and acceptance that I can buy his attempts at redemption and how easily he was swayed by Arthur to turn on his mother, but still managed to save Peter's life. A truly complex character. Who'd have thunk it?
  • Peter - I guess technically Peter's as useless as Maya now, but as he's the main star of the show, I guess he's not leaving any time soon. At least he can stop being a whiney bitch and turning into a crazy Sylar-lite villain. Now he can just whine naturally.
  • Claire - But now he can whine with Claire, who's still crying that she can't feel pain. I absolutely loved that the first meeting between her and Elle went down exactly like a comic book "hero" meeting. First, they fight over almost nothing for a bit, and then they team up.
  • Elle - Will Arthur take her powers too so she can leave the show? I hope not. This secondary mutation of abilities she and Claire are experiencing is I think a fascinating development that could move the next act of the series. Oh, and she made the drink cart fly down the aisle of a plane (we've never seen that before!).
  • Matt - He's such a nice guy this season he's almost foppish. He did pull one over on Knox.
  • Daphne - But he's still getting suckered by Daphne. It's disappointing that she's still under Papa Petrelli's thumb, even though I know it's driven by fear.
  • Hiro - Hiro's in Africa doing what Matt did. Maybe after he goes back home, Peter will stop by. For now, it's all pretty damned boring.
  • Arthur - Arthur does scare me more than Sylar did. He's just so ruthless and powerful, it's hard to imagine what can take him down. At least with Sylar we knew that Peter was just about his equal.

vacelts

I can't believe Jeph Loeb and Jesse Alexander have been fired. I think it could be the beginning of the end for the series.

November 03 2008 at 12:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
KenMo

- Claire was hot in the black outfit at the start of the season (future Claire).
- Hayden can't act.

- Peter had to get his powers taken so he would not have the "hunger" anymore. Apparently only Sylar can resist it.

- Arthur will die this season and the powers he took will revert to those he took them from. Poor Maya.

- It seems mama Petrelli's power is dreams. When she dreams she can see the future and get into other's dreams.

October 29 2008 at 8:10 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Thaddeus Collins

I watched Heroes last night, and was utterly shocked at the death when I saw it. Jason, you alluded to the death in this recap yet you never mentioned who died, how, and why. (for all the readers who didn't see the episode of course)

October 28 2008 at 11:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
WhatThe

Ah, let me not forget...they killed off the black heroes, just like it always goes in Hollywood. Now the baddest black man is a villain, the other is only a "seer", the Hispanics are conveniently dead or depowered, the Asians are either becoming terrorists (Shuresh) or idiotic (Hiro AND Ando)...

October 28 2008 at 9:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
WhatThe

The show has become pathetic, the writing has gotten worse...so bad in fact, they leave it to the viewers to fill in the blanks when nothing is logical. I hoped they would get better than last year, but evidently that's not going to happen...will watch the rest online when I'm bored or eating.

Seriously, Nathan is gonna ignore Peter's warnings; Claire continues to show us that she really is blonde by running off time after time; Peter will keep being an idiot; Hiro will continue to join Peter on the Short Bus; blah blah blah...

Oh and evidently at some point they're gonna give Ando powers, probably at Pinehearst...oh well, will see on one of my lunch hours

October 28 2008 at 9:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
DK

I hate this show and think every writer on it should be exiled to Elba, but I still tune in every week...

October 28 2008 at 5:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Micah

I still love Heroes. My girlfriend didn't like Episode 1 (or 2) of the first season, therefore didn't like it. But she's become an avid fan of this episode. I'll admit this season has started a bit slow...and the powers of the new heroes are kinda lame...but the thing that intrigues me is the alliances that are forming. Peter's dad's power -- is immense...and I can't wait for a showdown.

Of course Peter will have to get his powers back...and I think Suresh will have something to do with that, that or Claire's dad. I didn't like that they toyed with turning Suresh evil, he's better as the innocent, curious, good scientist. But I suppose it was necessary.

I'm getting used to Sylar being good, kinda like how Arnold was the big menace in Terminator 1, then turned out to be the best ally in T2 on. I'm glad they got Maya off the show. Her ability and character were stupid. That was also a good way to show Peter's dad's ability and to let her go. She wasn't a bad actress, it's just her character and story was stupid.

I don't care much for Elle, she doesn't have to go, but I think after she freed all the prisoners (albeit on accident) her role seemed to be finished. Besides, she hasn't killed anybody with her little lightning bolt...so her power seems pretty useless. I wish Claire's ability will turn into something or that she learns like Kung Fu or something. They need to advance her character but they can't really. Her being the billy goat of Season 1 was awesome, now she's kinda just in the way, especially since Sylar, Peter, and their dad are all already immortal...that's assuming Peter's dad actually got the immortality power from that old guy.

Anyway, still a fan!

October 28 2008 at 3:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rachael

I didn't realize I was over this show, until it became 9pm and I was wondering what was on to watch. Then by about 9:40pm i realized that Heros was on. And then I changed to it, and ended up flicking back and forth between it and Samantha Who. So I've realized that I'm over it as well. I'm not rooting for anyone, i could care less. But this chat board is great though! Better than the show itself! And superrrguy, that was the funniest thing on here!!

October 28 2008 at 3:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Cody

I think the reason Claire's mom keeps showing us her power is because that's part of her power. Maybe in order to be able to use it, she first has to warm it up by holding up her hand and looking dramatically into the camera while creating a ball of fire. If she skips that step then her power is useless.

October 28 2008 at 2:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Cody's comment
DK

And Knox must have to continually remind his foes that their fear makes him strong, even when they've heard him say it to someone else.

October 28 2008 at 3:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
malren

I just quit Heroes.

I can't take it anymore. Elements that come out of nowhere, 55.62 storylines per spisode, characters acting like a writer wrote them solely to provide an effect or a "conflict," I have HAD IT.

Heroes is off my TiVo, and Tim Kring has no one to blame but himself. He made a complete mess of the amazing potential to restart at the end of the mess that was season 2. Instead of a reboot and something good, he made it ten times worse.

And he mocked Lost? His show is more Lost than Lost ever was at its worst. That's it. I'm out. Not even in passing...not one more minute of Heroes will ever be deliberately watched by my eyes. My time is more valuable than this.

October 28 2008 at 1:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply