December 19, 2014

Hey, whatever happened to Demetri Martin's show?

by Bob Sassone, posted Oct 28th 2008 2:09PM
Demetri MartinRemember way back when the news came that comic Demetri Martin was going to get his own weekly show on Comedy Central, one that would be produced by Jon Stewart and his Busboy Productions? It was supposed to debut sometime this year, presumably months ago, but here we are nearing the end of October and still no word on when the show is going to debut.

There's a listing on the IMDb for Important Things with Demetri Martin, and even titles for two episodes, but no dates for when those episodes will be shown (just question marks, and when even the IMDb is confused, we're all in trouble). The Comedy Central site doesn't have any word on the show at all. It's not even listed on the show page, and a search only brings up Martin's specials. Not sure if he's been on The Daily Show lately.

A look at Martin's web site reveals that it hasn't been updated in months. Even his "schedule" section has an "Account Suspended" notice. The blog on his MySpace page hasn't been updated since last November. Gah!

So Demetri, if you're reading this, let us know how things are going, will ya? We're all looking forward to your show.

StillBash

Hey, whatever happened to working for your money?

October 28 2008 at 10:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Paul

The strike pushed it back from its initial launch time (fall 2008) to its new launch time (early 2009). From what I understand, they were just about to start working on the show when the strike happened, which messed up everything.

It's still coming, and it's sure to be AWESOME.

October 28 2008 at 9:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Paul's comment
JJ

The strike didn't push it back ... the Ang Lee movie forced the show into Hiatus. The sketches were shot over the summer and the studio (stand up) portion of the show was just finished this weekend and is now scheduled to air Feb 18th @ 10:30P.

December 09 2008 at 2:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jack

No offense, but don't "professional bloggers" have contacts at networks, or maybe Martin's manager, or SOMEONE that could give them a quote? This post could have been cobbled together by my niece, for all the aimless speculation and lack of actual content.

October 28 2008 at 7:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
izikavazo

Isn't he making that Ang Lee movie about Woodstock? I thought I heard that.

October 28 2008 at 3:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to izikavazo's comment
Brett Cottone

The movie is "Taking Woodstock" and it's why he has been off the radar for a while. I can't wait to see how well he makes the transition to film.

October 28 2008 at 3:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
tonester

if you simply google the show you can see Comedy Central announced it will air in early 2009.
I come to tvsquad every day and cannot stand to read anything by Bob Sassone for reasons like this - he simply writes articles and makes comments that aren't researched, or makes broad umbrella opinions like 'everyone thinks this is good,' 'this obviously sucks' which assumes he is giving a good example of what everyone thinks.

October 28 2008 at 2:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to tonester's comment
j0phus

I rarely come to the site since this new tv season has started. The entire site has went severely down hill. I am in fact searching for a replacement. If you know of any please do respond.

I've also noticed this about Sassone. My guess he is uber lazy and just waits to the very last minute to meet his deadline. Unfortunately it really shows, and I'm sure is leading people in droves to leave the site (like myself).

October 28 2008 at 11:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Josh

I thought I read somewhere that his show was starting early 2009... I could be wrong.

October 28 2008 at 2:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Josh's comment
stefunny

i found this:

excerpt:
ER: Well, thanks for sitting down with me anyway. So how is the writer's strike affecting you?
DM: Well, I can't staff my new show on Comedy Central. It's called Important Things With Demetri Martin, and it's coming out next October. I'm producing and writing and can't do anything right now.

November 06 2008 at 1:08 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply