October 25, 2014

It's official: CBS dumps The Ex List

by Allison Waldman, posted Oct 28th 2008 9:29AM
Ex castThat was fast. If this were a newspaper, the ink would barely be dry on my previous post about the dismal ratings for The Ex List. Now, the die has been cast: CBS has canceled The Ex List.

This Friday's show will be the end of the run. The four remaining shows in the can may be run off some time in the future, but more than likely they won't. For the immediate future, reruns of NCIS will fill the Friday 9 p.m. slot.

The Ex List is the first hour-long drama to be dumped this season. It's a sad commentary on CBS that they are so challenged when it comes to developing TV dramas that don't involve criminal activities.

You have to wonder if the powers that be are now second guessing their decision to not give Moonlight a second season. Say what you will about the vampire drama, that it also struggled in the ratings, that it was a niche program, etc. The bottom line is that it had/has a loyal fan base. There was a chance for CBS to develop something there, especially because of the appeal of actor Alex O'Laughlin. CBS signed him up for another series after canceling Moonlight, clearly aware of the fact that he's a talent they want on their network.

While the NCIS reruns will likely do okay on Friday -- it does well wherever they put it, even repeats -- the future for this spot could be filled by Harper's Island. That's the midseason hour mystery/horror drama that CBS has been touting since last spring, and most recently they added Harry Hamlin to the cast.

jesika

I really liked this show...maybe I was the only one? I'm bummed. Any suggestions on what could replace this slot on my DVR?

November 21 2008 at 1:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Heather

I am pissed! Everytime I like a show, it gets cancelled. Meanwhile, all of this crap stays on! Who needs 3 different CSI shows? Who knows how many Law & Order shows?!? They never give anything a chance. Ridiculous!!!

November 01 2008 at 9:26 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sheila Purdey

It might of been a second my name is Earl list, but I liked it,I was looking forward to turning off my Trick or treatin porch lite to watch this tonite ??? guess I got tricked !!!

November 01 2008 at 12:19 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
vjchase

So Swingtown tanked. The Ex-List started DOA. Any ideas on the permanent replacement for the 9:00 Friday slot? I haven't heard any buzz at all.

I hope that somebody over at CBS is squirming over the cancellation of Moonlight. Given it's ratings, it's demographics and considering the timeslot it deserved a second season. The real non-preforming show here is Nina Tassler.

October 30 2008 at 5:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joanna

I guess I can delete the episodes I have waiting for me on my DVR.

October 29 2008 at 2:38 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Anita

All I can say is good. The show had potential, but they never fully developed it. Moonlight reached its first season potential and clearly had more awesomeness for second season. I still don't understand why they canceled it knowing Twilight and True Blood were coming out and that Moonlight could've served as the frontrunner for the vamp shows/films coming after it, (particularly considering the fanfare TB continues to receive while on a pay network) -

October 28 2008 at 8:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Darlene K

YEP! They should have kept MOONLIGHT!!!!!!!

October 28 2008 at 7:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
RD

I watched this show twice, and if it was a half-hour instead of an hour, it might have had a chance to be bearable - the writers were struggling to make 44 minutes, and it showed. I agree that casting was also a problem. Alyssa Milano would have been a better choice for Bella.

October 28 2008 at 5:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Nva_gvup_Mick

AHHH, just when I started to warm up to The Ex-List...NOT!!!

I have to practice restraint by stating that CBS might not be the only one to blame for the demise of MOONLIGHT. I mean there were a lot of infightings behind the set that may never come to light as to what led to the demise. But the fact that Alex O'Loughlin chose to sign the deal with CBS showed that maybe he knows more about CBS than we do.

Having said that, ya know, now that CBS has Alex and can do whatever they want to do with him including resurrecting Moonlight, Sophia hasn't signed on to anything long-term, Jason is a toughie cuz I really love his snark but he's a smaller character in the show, and Shannyn (who also signed on to another HBO show like Jason) was all but gone from Moonlight.

Sooooo, it is not over until... It is not over. Moonlight Lives On!!! Rah rah rah!

October 28 2008 at 3:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Carissa

I'll give a hearty "aye" to that motion, as well!

October 28 2008 at 2:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply