October 30, 2014

The Shield: Moving Day

by Jonathan Toomey, posted Oct 28th 2008 11:01PM

Michael Chiklis
(S07E09) "What? I'm supposed to be Shane Vendrell to whatever Vic Mackey plan you've hatched?" - Dutch

I've got to say - Dutch annoys me sometimes. His high 'n' mighty, holier than thou act can be a bit tiring. Especially when he's being hypocritical about it. For him to say no to Steve and chastise him for setting up that sex offender is completely ridiculous and I'm so glad Billings called him out on it. Dutch has been faking sexual attraction to Rita Denton for weeks now, all in an effort to draw info on Lloyd - completely unethical! It's just humorous to me that he consistently draws a line and then steps over it anyway.

Of course you may be wondering why I'm talking about Dutch to start off. This is The Shield! What about Vic and everyone else? Well... not much happened. In what has been a stellar season so far, we've hit the first bump in the road. It was inevitable though. "Moving Day" wasn't bad, but it was necessary to set things up for the rest of the season. Trust me - it's worth it.

With Shane and Mara still on the run, Vic's early retirement has made it much easier for him to pursue them however he likes. While his lack of a badge created a few issues (that pharmacist wouldn't play ball with him), it hasn't been all that different since Ronnie is still on the inside and most players on the street still fear Vic anyway.

I mentioned Dutch's ethical boundaries and we found out a few more regarding Vic. He's willing to kill Mara, something that Ronnie was certainly not comfortable with. Vic made a valid point when he said that she's not an innocent and whatever Shane knows, she knows. I just don't see Vic having it in him to kill a pregnant woman though. Had those cops not been in the parking lot, I'm guessing Vic wouldn't have been able to do the deed. And speaking of those cops, how did Vic get off? He was aiming a gun at civilians in a parking lot! Wouldn't he at least have been thrown in jail for the night?

The I.C.E./Mexican Cartel plot heated up a bit and I loved the introduction of Beltran, if only for Pezuela's verbal assault on Aceveda. Personally, I don't think Cruz was very convincing in his little show. He kept smiling. He's probably nervous since he's being evaluated by the cartel's head of security. Vic is right about David though. He won't get Olivia anywhere. Vic is going to have to get in good with Beltran if he ever wants a shot at an I.C.E. paycheck, but that still sounds iffy too. Vic will really need to do something big to make up for the fact that he's no longer a cop.

What did everyone make of Corinne lying to Vic at the end? Seemed to me like she finally got "it." With Vic no longer present for Shane and Mara's calls, it'll give her freedom to protect herself and the kids however she sees fit.

More thoughts on "Moving Day" --

• It's too bad Julien is back in blues with Tina. It would have been nice for him to get some more exposure in the final season, but I don't think that'll be happening now.
  • I loved when Shane called out Vic for at least "having the sack to do it himself."
  • Raise your hand if you think Rita will be Lloyd's next victim. Everything seems to be pointing that way.
  • Cassidy's wild child side sort of disappeared, huh?

The ending was especially poignant for me, as Shane and Mara broke into that empty mansion. He actually wanted Mara to turn herself in. She said no and made a remark that they're a family and no one is going to tear them apart. Kind of ironic, huh? They've already torn themselves apart - from each other and from life in general. If she has that mentality though, I don't expect Mara to be on board for the Bonnie and Clyde lifestyle for much longer.

AnnaChronism

The women are not innocent. Corinne wanted Vic's kids to get special tutoring, etc. for their autism and she didn't ask or care where the money came from. Now she's got a convenient attack of conscience? And Mara was a manipulator from the start: She instinctively understood Shane's weaknesses and worked 'em. She had no problem with the Big Bux he was haulin'. Her mother, too--what a grifter.
I'm not saying she deserves to be killed, but being pregnant doesn't make her an angel. It's the children who are the real innocents.

October 31 2008 at 6:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to AnnaChronism's comment
Unforgivableblacknesss

I agree, neither Mara or Corrine are innocent. I flash back to Season 5 when Kavanaugh was interviewing Corrine in the Barn and she started crying, he said "Don't cry...You don't deserve to cry..." because even though she had no concrete proof, she knew Vic was a scumbag.

November 01 2008 at 10:47 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
pvarine

Glad to hear someone besides me who thought this episode was just a little bit boring with regard to the Strike Team storyline.

Mara? That dumb b&$#@ GOTS to go. She was the Strike Team's Yoko Ono in the first place, after she stole money from Shane and drove a wedge between him and Vic. And she willingly participated in the plot to kill Mackey and Ronnie. Pregnant or not, she's just as involved as Shane. No one would feel bad if Shane caught few hot ones, right? Vic's supposed to let her live and ruin his and Ronnie's lives? HELL naw.

October 31 2008 at 10:54 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gabriel

logically the right thing to do is to get rid of mara as well. it was her choice to read the file with all the shit they've done, protect shane knowing he's a killer and threat corrine.

if i were vic i'd kill her "right under their noses and with a goddamn smile"

October 29 2008 at 5:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
GroovyHiker

Vic has always been a bad Mother F#$@er. If you watch the show, then you know who he is and what he is about. Last night I think they officially made him a Monster. He was going to kill a pregnant woman? That's just too far. I wish they hadn't done that, but they did. And now, in my opinion, Vic cannot make it past the end of the series.

October 29 2008 at 4:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to GroovyHiker's comment
Brian C

Good point. It was very hard to like Vic at the point he talked to Ronnie about killing Mara and the unborn baby, but sparing Jackson because 'he's too young to be a witness'. Seems like the writer's might be softening the possible impending blow of Vic having some huge demise within the last four episodes.
That was really him stepping over the line, so it seemed, to being a full blown criminal. His literal and figurative "shield" is gone... he has no obligation to being good anymore.

October 29 2008 at 5:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Unforgivableblacknesss

Vic became a Monster when he shot Terry Crawley in cold blood in season 1.

November 01 2008 at 10:43 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Fran

"Toomey is an idiot if he can't see that what Dutch is doing is no where near what Vic and Billings do."

Was it really necessary to insult him because he has a different opinion than yours? Maybe he didn't think things through or maybe he did- either way you don't have to call him an idiot.

Anyway, the episode was great as always. I didn't know that there were people out there that really and truly hate Vic. He's always been corrupt, but through the seasons we've seen the compassionate side to him, and understand some of the reasons why he does what he does. To me that's always been the best part of the show. You know Vic is a bad person, but you don't necessarily want something bad to happen to him. I will be very upset if he ends up in jail at the end. I need a little more than that to happen.

Can I just say that I HATE Mara? I almost want her to be out of the picture. And unless I missed it- has there been any mention of Dani? I know she packed up and left, but she also told Vic there was a hearing about their son. I don't remember hearing anything else after that unless I'm mistaken...

October 29 2008 at 12:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Fran's comment
DavidMac

I know it I came across mean, but that was my goal. It makes no sense to compare unethical (slightly) behavior, to down right malicious criminal behavior. Dutch is nothing like Vic and Billings.

As for Dani, I think we will never here anything from here. She is running away from Vic, probably to the other side of the country. Who would want that guy around their kids.

As for Mara, I think the chick is sexy and cool. There is something about a woman that has your back no matter what that is cool with me. It is kind of funny, Shane's life is going to hell, he is on the run, but he takes care of his kids and has a wife that loves him unconditionally. Look at Vic and Ronnie, they have nothing important in their life. Ronnie has no family and Vic's family has abandoned him.

October 29 2008 at 2:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dottie

I wish there was some way to keep this show going. First they ended OZ, then The Wire and now The Shield. Three class act shows. Watching last night, I could see several ways the show could keep going. But, I am sure the actors are getting tired of it and are anxious to branch out.

I wish they would give Mackey his own show!!! If ICE gives him a job, that would be a whole new gig for him.

Speaking of Dutch, he had a rather big part on Sons Of Anarchy, another excellent program on FX. However, he was killed last week, so unless they rerun you won't be able to see him. I think the season for Sons is drawing to a close, but if it is renewed you should try to catch it.

Another show they cancelled that I thought was extremely well done was Cane with Jimmy Smits. The writers strike ended it, and it was not renewed.

Anymore, I am so reluctant to get caught up in shows b/c it seems the ones I like the most get cancelled!!! They should have a separate channel for those shows, so the people who like them could continue watching!!!

October 29 2008 at 10:30 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to Dottie's comment
D-Bo

SoA was already signed by F/X to a second season. Yay!

October 29 2008 at 12:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dtpollitt

Vic Mackey does have his own show, it's called "The Shield". And Smits is on Dexter, and he's playing a Miguel Prado fantastically, check it out.

Dan

October 30 2008 at 1:57 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Unforgivableblacknesss

The difference b/w what Dutch did and what Billingsley did, is Billingsley committed A CRIME...Was Dutch un-ethical in regards to his actions with the woman of the would be serial killer? maybe, maybe not. Cops lie/mislead suspects and family members of suspects ALL the time, in fact they are allowed to and its permissible. It would have been un equivocably un-ethical if he had slept with her, but HE didnt'. So you can't compare Dutch's actions to Billingsley in any way shape or form. Billingsley just wanted to look like a hero to his ex-wife and daughter instead of a Douchebag.

Vic is becoming more and more isolated...Ronnie came "clean" to the Claudette(who I don't think bought his act of contrition), Corrine FINALLY no longer trusts Vic, there's no way ICE is going to put him on the payroll as an agent, I think Olivia will string him along though.

October 29 2008 at 10:06 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to Unforgivableblacknesss's comment
D-Bo

Last time I checked strangling a cat with your bare hands was a crime as is intercepting and holding subpoenas... Let's not let off Dutch too easily.

October 29 2008 at 12:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
adevandry

His name is Billings, not Billingsley. Steve Billings does not pitch for the Dodgers.

November 04 2008 at 5:32 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
DavidMac

Toomey is an idiot if he can't see that what Dutch is doing is no where near what Vic and Billings do. Vic kills innocent people and destroys lives. Billings just sent a innocent man to jail. That is nothing at all like what Dutch is doing, basically undercover work, to stop a killer from killing again.

As for Vic, I'm confident he would kill anyone to save his ass from going to prison. I think Ronnie is seeing what Shane was talking about now. The dark side of Vic, the side that would do anything to save himself, even killing a pregnant woman.

I'm glad Corrine is cutting Vic off, he has abused her for far too long. I hope next week's previews plays off and Claudette and Dutch nail Mackey. The series should end with Vic in a cell with Antwan Mitchell.

October 29 2008 at 9:13 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
5 replies to DavidMac's comment
eric f

"For him to say no to Steve and chastise him for setting up that sex offender is completely ridiculous and I'm so glad Billings called him out on it."

I can't disagree more. You can't equate the two. Dutch didn't falsely send someone to jail just to satisfy himself.

Corrine has been so pathetic this past season or two. It was a relief to see her finally do something strong.

October 29 2008 at 7:59 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
3 replies to eric f's comment
Mark

What are you talking about? A lot happened in this episode regarding the Strike Team, especially as it related to characters: Shane and Mara are closer together than ever before at the same time Corrin finally turns definitely against Vic (when she said "They don't trust you anymore", she was really saying "I don't trust you anymore"). Ronnie has finally begun coming clean to Claudette, even if it was padded with a ton of lies. Ronnie is also beginning to realize that Vic is dangerously desperate. Vic is quickly seeing he has no power without his shield. Julian is beginning to remember that Vic, Ronnie and Shane are the same guys he nearly ratted out for stealing drugs in season one, and is pissed at them for getting him kicked back down to uni duty. Maybe not all of these character moments will play out, but a lot of them will.

I think when the season is over, you'll probably see that this was every bit as pivotal an episode as the one before it, only in a much more subtle way. If these characters are like pieces on a chess board, the state of their relationships is like how they're positioned. The last episode was a sacrifice play that completely disrupted the board. Tonight they started the endgame.

To me, tonight also really clarified what this season's theme would be, which I think is: Truth is a weapon.

October 29 2008 at 6:11 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply