April 24, 2014

David Tennant's Doctor will be dying

by Brad Trechak, posted Oct 29th 2008 8:45PM
The Doctor and MarthaYou don't get much more official than an announcement from the BBC. David Tennant will be leaving the lead role in Doctor Who at the end of the 2009 specials.

It kind of makes sense. That's when the changeover from Russell T. Davies to Steven Moffat takes place. If one was going to leave the show, that would be the time. Still, Tennant was utterly amazing in the role. Even when the episode was crap, his youthful enthusiasm made the character always a pleasure to watch. His love for the role and the character always shone through. It's probably best for him to leave while the fans are wanting more and he hasn't worn out his welcome.

There is an upside to this. While in his tenure as the Doctor, Mr. Tennant wasn't permitted by BBC to attend any conventions. Perhaps now we'll be able to catch him at one, if he isn't busy with moving on in his career.

Who should play the next Doctor? I vote for Paul McGann. Discuss.

Ania

I want Anthony Stewart Head!

November 02 2008 at 6:29 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
marky

Apparently Jason Flemyng is under consideration... makes sense after Quatermass, I suppose...

October 31 2008 at 5:50 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Preach

When i come to think about it, the other actor other than Sean Pertwee that would make an excellent Doctor is Tony Curran (LXG, Ultimate Force, Underworld Evolution)

October 30 2008 at 5:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dave

Thank you Brad. Folks, I'm still traumatized from when I saw Logopolis in the late 80s, because I had no idea about the whole regeneration thing. It was a very very scary and confusing time, that I'd rather not repeat.

October 30 2008 at 3:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
marky

Nesbitt and Davies have already said openly they would turn down the part. Moffatt has said he doesn't think an older actor could work to the pace of the schedule, which rules out Nighy. Personally, I would favour Michael Sheen. I don't think they would ever go backwards and cast a previous holder of the role, ala McGann. His time has been and gone, however you feel about that. For me personally, I think the stakes have been upped by Tennant and he'll be a hard act to follow. I don't see McGann in the same league (sorry, McGann fans). Paterson Joseph would be an interesting choice in this age of the first black President...

October 30 2008 at 12:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
carrespondent

This. Is. Not. A. "Spoiler."

No Doctor's regeneration can be a secret. The whole idea is to get people to tune in to see the regeneration episode/serial. The announcement is official and broadcast across the entire Whoniverse.

Here's another "spoiler": The long-running series known as The Election will end on Tuesday, Nov. 4. One of the two main characters will get a promotion.

Darn, did I give that away?

October 30 2008 at 12:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ann B Martin

I am now very sad today!

October 30 2008 at 10:11 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
lisa

John simms or Billie piper!

October 30 2008 at 8:19 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to lisa's comment
Ryan

Tell me this was a joke.

October 30 2008 at 11:27 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Walter

Either Bill Nighy or Tilda Swinton would be perfect.

October 30 2008 at 8:13 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Martin

Seriously, how is a story saying David Tennant is leaving Dr. Who not going to involve the Doctor's death. The only way to get the actor playing the Doctor out of the show is to kill him so he can regenerate into another look for another actor to play. Everyone should really quit crying spoiler.

October 30 2008 at 7:52 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply