September 1, 2014

Cox shakes off the Dirt and heads to Cougar Town

by Jason Hughes, posted Oct 30th 2008 9:05AM
Courtney CoxCourteney Cox must really like working on television. While most of her Friends cohorts are content to make guest appearances now and then, Cox is jumping right back in with both feet after FX canceled Dirt. And this time, she's headed back to major network television. To top that off, she'll be working with the fine and capable hands of Scrubs creator Bill Lawrence, who also is bringing that show to ABC this season.

Cox and Lawrence go way back; he was a writer on the first season of Friends and she just wrapped a guest spot on Scrubs. Then, you take Cox's penchant for zaniness and Lawrence's comedic sensibilities and wrap it up in a show about Cox as a 40-year old mom, newly single and on the prowl and you get Cougar Town. That's all we know about it so far: With Bill Lawrence, Courteney Cox will exec produce and star in Cougar Town on ABC. What I see is a career renaissance for Cox just like Julia Louis-Dreyfus is enjoying with CBS's The New Adventures of Old Christine.

I also see a continuation of "New Hollywood" and their sudden acceptance of women of a "certain age" as still beautiful and viable in their field. Sally Field, Calista Flockhart, Candice Bergen, Jean Smart, Jessica Walter, Glenn Close ... well the list goes on and on. Women who don't feel the need to fill their faces with collagen and plastic to be amazing. I know that's a little off topic, so forgive my indulgence.

Courteney Cox is beautiful and funny at any age, and coupled with Bill Lawrence, I don't really need to know anything more than that to know that Cougar Town is probably going to be pretty damned funny. And I'm sure they'll still cast a beautiful young thing as her daughter because they know what sells. Plus, then she and her daughter would probably be going after the same guys. This would finally be a great companion show for Samantha Who? as well. Damn, ABC, looks like you done good.

Helen

Courteney is a fox!!! I loved her in "Friends" and I can hardly wait to see her in this new series. I read here (http://www.projectweightloss.com/index.php) about her secret diet and workout routine which help her look so amazing and, wow, talk about hard work after 40.

October 31 2008 at 8:04 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Helen's comment
StillBash

This post is crying "Delete me".

The super secret diet that I link to in all of my comments or what?

October 31 2008 at 9:18 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Crystal

Regardless of the age issue...I'm just excited about the idea of Courteney Cox coming back to TV! She's a Birmingham Alabama girl, like myself & I love her! I watched Dirt, but only for her, not because the show was that good. But the idea of Cougar Town sound like it just may be a hit.

October 30 2008 at 2:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Carissa

Women of a "certain age?" Jessica Walter, Candice Bergan and Sally field are about 18-24 years older than Courtney Cox. While I realize you were trying to be kind about how Hollywood treats any woman over 23, that wasn't the right way to put it. I'm still angry about 44 year old Molly Shannon playing mother to 26 year old Selma Blair. Being in your 40s does not make you grandmotherly for shites sake.

I want my presidential candidates to address this. Screw the economy.

October 30 2008 at 12:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to Carissa's comment
Jason Hughes

Sorry, I was just meaning to say that you can be over 30 and still get a gig in Hollywood now (which wasn't the case a few short years ago)... and to make the Shannon rub even harder, Selma Blair is actually 36. The original Kath & Kim had their main actors even closer in age, though, so maybe there's a reason?

October 30 2008 at 3:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
StillBash

Yeah and if Blair really _were_ 26, then it would mean Shannon had her at 18.

What's the problem with that? Since when is a 44 year old woman having a mid-twenties daughter something that could even be considered agism?

On the other hand, if you ask me - that photo of Cox annoys me. Too much cleavage. Totally gratuitous and if you ask me unwanted.

At least Sally Field has the guts not to have her face pulled back like Mary Tyler Moore.

I mean MY GOD what a trainwreck the her Emmy appearance was. Good god.

October 30 2008 at 10:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply