December 19, 2014

Monday Night Football to feature McCain & Obama on election eve

by Allison Waldman, posted Oct 30th 2008 2:15PM
MNFAt the rate they're going, the 2008 presidential candidates will have made appearances on every kind of TV program before voting day arrives. No show is too insignificant, it seems. (Seriously, if only we could have seen Obama and McCain do the cha-cha on Dancing with the Stars!)

Therefore, it comes as no big shock that on the eve of the election -- Monday, November 3 -- the presidential candidates are going to appear on ESPN's Monday Night Football.

They will be interviewed -- separately on tape -- by half-time anchor Chris "Boomer" Berman. The anticipated time is 10:15 p.m. (ET), but because of the flow of the game, it could be closer to 10:30.

Berman, who is infamous for his proclivity with nicknames, may use the informal interviews to dub Barack Obama and John McCain with some catchy appellations. The candidates won't need to prep for Berman's grilling. He won't be asking about the economy or national security, although you can be sure he'll be asking them to predict the outcome of the Monday night game, Washington Redskins versus the Pittsburgh Steelers.

That's actually a pretty important question. In the past 15 presidential elections, when the Redskins win their last home game before the election -- which would be the Monday game -- the incumbent party remains in power. The only time this predictor failed was in 2004. So, if you buy into the history, if Pittsburgh wins the game, Obama will be president. If the Redskins prevail, McCain will be Commander-in-Chief.

Here's one more sports tie-in to predicting the election -- from 1952-1976, when the American League wins the World Series, Republicans win the White House. More recently, the results have varied. Still, when the National League Phillies won the World Championship last night, Barack Obama must have breathed a sigh of relief.

Back to the Monday Night broadcast, I would have rather heard Tony Kornheiser, Mike Tirico and Ron Jaworski question the candidates than Berman. It might have been more cumbersome technically, but any one of those guys would ask more substantive questions than Berman. As an interviewer, he's about as penetrating as Jay Leno.

JH

Do you really care that they are both speaking on MNF because I dont. What is the point. My thoughts http://jib-sports-culture.blogspot.com/

November 03 2008 at 5:07 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
JH

November 03 2008 at 5:04 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sam

Newsflash: People watch sports TO GET AWAY FROM POLITICS.

October 31 2008 at 8:14 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
sabih

mccain is trying a last minute attempt to reach all the rednecks out there who might still vote for him. the educated football fans will still vote based on sound judgement.

October 31 2008 at 1:18 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
julie

As a Skins fan but an Obama supporter I am totally screwed!

October 30 2008 at 7:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
satria

your posting is really informative, and that's really usefull for me, actually I have the related blog like you, I hope you can check on http://101aboutfootball.blogspot.com, I hope it will be usefull for u.

October 30 2008 at 6:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
satria

your posting is really informative, and that's really usefull for me, actually I have the related blog like you, I hope you can check on www.101aboutfootball.blogspot.com, I hope it will be usefull for u.

October 30 2008 at 6:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
chadwick hansford

What's wrong with Berman? He has interviewed thousands of people. I think he can handle it.

"More recently, the results have varied" Gee, I wonder why? Could it be that game results have no effect on politics? Gee.

October 30 2008 at 3:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Enrique igluesias

I dont like the elections,i like to see saturday live soccer online oba,o-barcelona yes Barcelona live soccer online!
Elections are boring Direct barca soccer are for the real men!
fc barcelona live soccer or elections your choice!

Vote for me Vote for free soccer online vote for
realy free entertaiment!Barca4ever community europe!

October 30 2008 at 3:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply