April 24, 2014

Pushing Daisies: Dim Sum Lose Some

by Allison Waldman, posted Oct 30th 2008 8:03AM
Pushing Daisies: Dim Sum Lose Some
(S02E05)
Hmm...something was off about this episode of Pushing Daisies for me. Maybe it was the emphasis on Emerson, a character I like, but not my favorite, but this show really only hooked me with Ned's story.

Between the Chinese dumplings and the fruit pies, I was having major munchies. I'm kicking myself for not having ordered steamed dumplings with my Happy Family combination dish earlier this evening. I also loved Ned's line in the opening narration about investing in a pie shop when "...Carbohydrates had fallen completely out of fashion." How true!

Stephen Root's appearance as Dwight Dixon, a friend of Ned's parents, opened a world of possibilities. At one point, I thought he might be the pie-maker's father, but the last scene seems to dispel that notion. What's with the pistol on the front seat?

Chuck and Olive are becoming a terrific dynamic duo. I find myself wanting to see the together more and more. When they donned the red silk Chinese dresses and befanned head gear, I had flashes of Charlie's Angels -- only with two angels, not three. The setting also reminded me of Thoroughly Modern Millie, only Olive didn't break out into any Julie Andrews' songs. How did they miss that opportunity?

Once again, the murder mystery seemed pretty perfunctory, as was the figuring out whodunit. The dim sum dishes covering a poker game was clever, if cumbersome. Did you have to eat the hands you were dealt? If so, were you rolled out the door after a couple of hands and a few dozen dumplings? I know, I know, I shouldn't get hung up on the details.

Ned's meeting with his half-brothers, twins Ralston and Maurice, made the show for me. Previews of next week reveal that Ned's going to get to know the illusionist pair, so perhaps the mystery of where Dad is should be uncovered soon, too.

I'm not sure if creator Bryan Fuller has plans to progress the story this quickly, but if I had his ear, that's what I would recommend. With the ratings being what they've been, and by that I mean they're not very good, I want more character stories from Pushing Daisies and less crimes and cases.

Ian

Good to see Freema Agyeman is so much in demand on TV these days.

October 30 2008 at 5:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Ian's comment
dsbs

Oh, no no no. Freema played Martha, the Doctor's companion in the 3rd season.

"Simone" played Cathica in the episode with Simon Pegg as the editor - the Long Game, I believe it was called.

And, really, they look nothing alike. Although, they are both gorgeous.

/End nerd.

October 30 2008 at 9:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jess

This was a rather excellent episode. My favorite line, though: piss-jitters. Also, "I have an uncomfortable fullness of the bladder."

October 30 2008 at 5:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Suetu

I loev this show more than anything that has ever aired on television. I feel almost as concerned about the fate of this show as I do about the upcoming election.

October 30 2008 at 4:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Suetu's comment
Jennifer

Amen to that.

October 30 2008 at 4:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chris

This was my favorite episode so far, for this season and last. Very clever show - visually beautifully done (even the CGI transitions like the "swoop in" on the front of the Pie Hole). The writing was clever and funny, and I love the dry sense of humor and timing. Great episode and great show!

October 30 2008 at 3:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Happy Steve

pissjitters

that is all

October 30 2008 at 2:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ryan

> I also loved Ned's line in the opening narration

Wasn't that Jim Dale's line?

I liked how the writers had fun with the comings and goings bit.

October 30 2008 at 1:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Liz

Love this show... and it always makes me so hungry! Pies, honey, and now dumplings... I blame Pushing Daisies for any recent weight gain!

October 30 2008 at 1:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mike Doran

Am I the only one who's noticed that ABC isn't promoting PUSHING DAISIES? I mean, AT ALL?? Ever day , every night, every daypart, the promos for PRIVATE PRACTICE and DIRTY SEXY MONEY are like endless kudzu growth. ABC is pushing these shows as though they were the third source of Revelation. Only spots for DAISIES (approximately 1 for every 10 of each of the others) called attention to the obamamercial - always a mistake to billboard the competition. A promo freeze is just as bad as over-pre-emption or pinball timeslotting - not the way to get people to watch. I recall that 'wonderful' year 1997, when ABC subjected one of its best shows ever, NOTHING SACRED, to a similar promotional Coventry. Can you say "self-fulfillng prophecy?"

October 30 2008 at 1:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mike K

I kind of loved how much Ned looked like Norm Macdonald's Burt Reynolds.

Also, the victim's name was Bao which is Chinese for "bun". Ah, those clever writers.

October 30 2008 at 12:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dan Chichian

When Olive and Chuck were under cover I kept expecting her to sing the little maids song from the Mikado. Granted it would only be two little maids and not three.....

October 30 2008 at 12:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply