October 24, 2014

The Office: Employee Transfer

by Jason Hughes, posted Oct 30th 2008 11:48PM
Amy Ryan(S05E05) [Jay couldn't be here tonight, as he's off being Jay Black somewhere.] Tonight's theme seemed to be about relationship crossroads. We had three storylines interweaving, and all of them centered on the three major hook-ups on the show. Dwight decided that the only way to come to terms with how he felt about Andy and Angela's impending nuptials was to goad Andy into a pointless feud. Michael and Holly had to deal with the fallout of David Wallace discovering that they'd become romantically involved (the hint is in the episode title), and Pam had to have quite possibly the most awkward lunch in history with Jim's brothers.

As always, The Office manages to weave slapstick humor brilliantly with moments of raw emotion and pathos. Particularly, again, with a wonderful performance by Steve Carell. With most of the action centering on the major storylines, we didn't get much work out of the supporting cast, so it was at least good to see them having some costume fun in the cold open. Don't forget the rest of the cast, writers, we love them all!

So they're getting rid of Amy Ryan by shipping her character to the New Hampshire branch. Which means she's still a part of Dunder-Mifflin ... and could still come back! You know, lots of Oscar nominated stars slum it on television these days, Amy. Look at Glenn Close. She's doing great!

Considering all the crap Darryl puts up with from Michael, he still cheered him up on the truck ride home by trying to help him sing the blues. And it was so appropriate that Michael absolutely didn't get how to do it but made it work anyway. Dammit, Holly was such a perfect match for Michael. It was genuinely heartbreaking when she essentially broke up with him on the ride.

I've missed the pranks that Pam and Jim used to play around the office on Dwight, so it was great to see Pam wanting to pull one on Jim. It's a side to their personalities, and a huge part of the show, that I almost hadn't realized was wanting. Too bad it wound up being horribly butchered by his brothers.

What it proved, though, was that Jim and Pam's relationship is absolutely for real. Even in the face of downright stupidity, they always come out of it stronger than ever. As much as I know that conflict makes great storytelling, I really really really don't want the writers messing up this couple. They're the heart and soul of the show and they deserve each other.

The rest of the episode was following through on the engagement announcement of Andy and Angela. In classic Dwight fashion, he decided to "handle" the situation by driving Andy crazy. Lest we forget, Andy has anger issues, so Dwight was easily able to bait him by pretending to be a new application to Cornell, where Andy went to college.

The dynamic that's developed between Dwight and Andy is great. I love that Andy started off as a slight variation on Dwight's personality and has evolved into a wholly unique and equally bizarre character on the show. And he's proving to be an even better foil for Dwight than Jim because he buys into it and plays along to the point of insanity. It really makes you wonder about the kinds of guys Angela is drawn to, though.

Office Memos
  • Great costume cold open. Poor Pam, stuck in a Charlie Chaplin costume in the void of "no costumes or fun" at corporate. "And I can't even take off my hat," she laments. "Because then I'm Hitler."
  • Damn, Creed looks great as the Joker. He even had a great Joker voice. Who knew Heath Ledger was channeling a 65-year old former Grass Roots guitarist for the role.
  • "I'll walk you out." Classic Jim moment, right after being put in charge of the office, he instead leaves for the day right next to Michael, carrying his bag and heads straight for his car. "You can let people go a couple minutes early if you want." "We'll see."
  • Aw yeah, Darryl! Sing it! "Life is a highway, and you're on it with Michael Scott! For seven long hours!" ... it works better when you sing out loud to the tune.
  • Wow, Jim's brothers are horrible at pranks. And he's such a natural , I guess he didn't learn it from them.
  • "Did Darryl touch you?" Are you kidding me? Hilarious!

Denise

I also enjoyed the show. I mean it wasn't The Office's best episode but it was still good. It was a bummer that Michael and Holly broke up, although it was more angst than funny it showed more depth to Michael and I wanted to cheer when he admitted at the end that he hated Jan. I thought it was brilliant on Dwight's part to try to goad Andy into another office explosion! Too funny. I'm not sure where they're going with Jim and Pam and it makes me nervous, of which I'm sure the writers intend. Shouldn't Pam be back at the office by now? Especially if it is Halloween? I thought it was three months. Hmmm.

November 03 2008 at 12:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
DK

And I thought the Joker thing was a really good satire of how obsessed everyone seems to be with the Joker and how pretty much everyone tries to imitate his voice, often badly.

November 01 2008 at 5:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
DK

You know, I've found that the less criticism of the show I read the more I enjoy it.

November 01 2008 at 5:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
StillBash

This episode was great. I don't get you people, they did the same stuff they always do and to me it seems you can't get over the fact that they brought couples together to take them apart again now.

It more and more looks as if Jim and Pam will break up in the finale of this season. I thought they would do it earlier but I guess they expect the show to go on for another two years after that which need to be filled.

November 01 2008 at 12:02 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Han Solo

Someone commented that this did not seem like something Dwight would do......

On contrary, its CLASSIC Dwight....it's exactly the sort of childish thing that he used to when Jim would egg him on.

October 31 2008 at 10:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jayr2345

I dont know what everyone is complaining about, I thought this was a good episode focusing more on emotion than laughter, which i think is ok every now and than. I defenintly think that dwight was trying to get to andy so he would snap and get fired so he could have angela to himself. I liked the Michael and Holly stuff because i thougt it was a fitting ending to their relationship and showed us that michael did indeed not like Jan. I thought that the Jim/Pam stuff was the weakest storyline of the episode. Although I thought it would be interesting if at the end of the episode Pam said "Yeah your brothers thought it would be funny to make fun of me like they did your old girlfriend that was an artist", then Jim saying, "I never dated another artist before".

October 31 2008 at 4:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Katie

The double shrug was something I caught on the second viewing (I may not have TiVo at school, but my VCR performs the same duty albeit the old-fashioned method).

I think this episode felt off mainly because of the extra plot building on the part of Michael & Holly, and the lack of humor that could be injected into it. After all, haven't a fair portion of us been enthralled by Amy Ryan's character? Her transfer couldn't be summed up by one scene.

Also:

"Stop saying WE!!!"...followed later by Andy dumping his coffee after Dwight did a cup clink with a clear smirk

October 31 2008 at 2:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
izzyj

Kelly as Carrie Bradshaw-HILARIOUS!

October 31 2008 at 2:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Will B.

Just rewatched the intro and realized that they split two days between the open and the rest of the show. But when did Pam start working for Dunder Mifflin in New York?

October 31 2008 at 1:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Will B.'s comment
Katie

You must've missed a few episodes this season. Pam said "New York is
expensive...and I ran out of money" so she she went and got a job at
Dunder-Mifflin's NY branch

Michael on phone to Pam in NY:
"Paaaaaaaammmmm-O-laaaaaaaaaaaaaah....."

October 31 2008 at 3:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joe

I liked the episode it was alright not the greatest but still fun. I think the part with Andy and Dwight was good fun. I really thought the ending was great Andy trying to be Dwight and sucked at it.

Holly will be missed I liked that Mike had some one finally that got him.

Darryl was pretty cool I so think Darryl should get his own spin-off the Warehouse. We already now about him and it would be pretty neat. Also I wonder if you could get Pam's ex back on the show.

I do think the show should have been all about Halloween.

Because to me I think that story line would have been more fun.

Three people as the Joker. Two good one bad. Creed really out did himself. Dwight did not have the feel of the Joker as Creed did but Dwight went all out on his costume.

I would have loved to have seen who would have won for best dressed for Halloween.

I also think you could have done some good parts with Pam at corporate. I really would have like to have seen what they would have called her.

Again I think the Halloween show would have been better.

But I guess the people making the Office thought people would have liked the show they gave us instead.

October 31 2008 at 11:19 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply