July 22, 2014

Who are the top 20 TV witches of all-time? - VIDEO

by Bob Sassone, posted Oct 30th 2008 1:37PM
BewitchedIt's Halloween, so you know that like most holidays we're seeing more and more TV-related lists. AOL TV has picked the top 20 witches of all-time.

I have to admit that when I first saw this piece I couldn't even name 20 witches that we've had on television. Sure, I immediately thought of Samantha and Endora on Bewitched, Willow on Buffy, The Vampire Slayer, Tabitha on Passions, and the girls from Charmed, but after that I really had to scratch my head on how they were going to come up with 20. But then I saw that they extended the rules to include witches from cartoons and TV movies, so after that it's probably pretty easy. Though I think it's an easy way out to pick all the girls from Charmed.

Witchipoo from H.R. Pufnstuf is there, as is the girl from Wizards of Waverly Place. I've never seen this movie Worst Witch they speak of, but they pick more than one witch from it so maybe it's more well known than I realize. I love the fact they picked Amanda from Tucker's Witch.

Of course, the list isn't perfect. Nancy Grace isn't on it.

birdbrain4u

At this moment somewhere in time, Angelique Collins is sticking a pin into a voodoll of the compilers of this list.
Feel the pain....

November 04 2008 at 6:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
OneCharmingBastard

What? No Angelique (Lara Parker) from "Dark Shadows"?

And y'all chose "Tuckers Witch" ?

October 31 2008 at 12:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Morjana Coffman

I loved Tucker's Witch. Sniff.

October 30 2008 at 9:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brent McKee

Two of my favourite witches were both from Bewitched - Serena and Aunt Clara. Serena was Samantha's unconventional polar opposite who was naughty and a lot more like the real Elizabeth Montgomery than goody-two-shoes Samantha. Aunt Clara was the only member of Sam's family that Darrin could stand, mainly because she was bullied by all her other relatives and had a good heart.

October 30 2008 at 6:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
David Cook is my Idol!

What, no Debra Barone from Everybody Loves Raymond?

Oh, they said witch, not bitch ;)

October 30 2008 at 5:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
RobynM

I'm glad to see mention of "Tucker's Witch", since I figured I was about the only person around who remembered that one.

The Worst Witch was not only a TV movie, but a Canadian series that ran for a few years on one of the pay channels (HBO Family, I believe).

There were definitely too many cases of multiple entries from single series taking up spaces other candidates could have used. Modwild's already mentioned Nanny and the Halloweentown witches, so I'll move on from there.

Winnie Goodwin from 1989's "Free Spirit", also notable for a pre-Buffy Alyson Hannigan.

Since there's been about a bazillion versions of The Wizard of Oz on TV, any iteration of The Wicked Witch of the West, from Margaret Hamilton to Tin Man's Azkadellia.

Miss Tickle from Mission:Magic
Winsome Witch
Wendy, the Good Little Witch
The twins from Twitches/Twitches Too

I'm sure I could come up with more if I did a little digging and/or included anime and other foreign programming.

October 30 2008 at 4:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Carissa

They could have skipped the multiple Worst Witch references and cut down on (or combined) the Halliwells in order to include The Nanny from Nanny and the Professor, and perhaps Marnie and her family from the Halloweentown movie series (there were four movies, after all). Just sayin'!

October 30 2008 at 2:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Courtney

I was about to freak out, thinking Willow didn't make the list. So glad she's #2!

October 30 2008 at 2:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply