October 25, 2014

Why I now embrace Ghost Whisperer and look forward to that big twist

by Isabelle Carreau, posted Oct 30th 2008 10:07AM
Jennifer Love HewittIt won't be a surprise if I admit that I watch a lot of TV. Maybe even a bit too much. Amongst all the series I watch, there were no spooky or horror series until last May. That's when, looking for something new to me to watch during the days since I was working from home, I decided to give CBS's Ghost Whisperer a try. The series's first and second seasons where airing daily on a local specialized channel last spring.

Since the series premiere of GW, I've kept in the loop as to what the show was about and what was going on (spoilers column obliges). However, I never felt compelled to tune in mostly because I get scared quite easily by TV series and movies that deal with ghosts. You will never catch me watching Ghost Hunters. Never. And until the special black and white episode of Supernatural last week, I never watched a full episode of the series. Actually, I turn the TV off five minutes in the series premiere.

Surprisingly to me, I ended up not only watching the reruns of seasons one and two of the series but also made sure to catch up with the CBS reruns of the third season in order to be ready for September.

Hello! My name is Isabelle and I'm now a fan of Ghost Whisperer. Here's why.

There are two main reasons why I now embrace Ghost Whisperer: the characters and the continuous battle between the dark side and the light.

Minus Jamie Kennedy's character (I'll get to him in a few lines), the GW characters are compelling. Melinda showed time and again that she has a heart and is willing to do everything and anything to help people and souls she doesn't even know. As someone who loves seeing couples that work on TV once in a while, seeing Jim support Melinda that much is refreshing. The supporting characters also have their perks and I've grown attached to some of them (I actually felt a bit bummed when Jay Mohr left the show as his character brought a nice balance to Melinda's character and offered some comedic relief).

One character I don't care about right now is Jamie Kennedy's Eli. I may have embraced the show but there is a limit. The character in itself is a nice addition to the show. With the departure of Mohr's character, Melinda needed a sidekick and Eli is just that. Plus he can hear the dead so this adds a new dimension to the show, as he can help Melinda more than the other characters can. What bugs me about the character is Kennedy's one-dimensional acting. The guy may show good enough acting in comedies but he doesn't have enough facial expressions for drama.

I also enjoy the continuous battle between the dark side and the light. I like how every now and then we are offered a new twist in how the "other side" works. From souls being tempted to not cross over, to other ghost whisperers, not forgetting why souls need Melinda's help to cross over, and seeing how some of the living actually go against what Melinda is doing, etc.

This is why I'm looking forward the upcoming game changer twist. Without spoiling it too much, if this twist works out the way I would like it to work, we will get a better glimpse as to how the other side works: where do lost souls go when they are not around Melinda, how can they find someone who can listen/see them, how does the light look to them, how do the dark side people approach souls and what happens "down there," etc. This twist can bring a breath of fresh air to the series and offer us viewers a whole new look at how things work for ghosts.

Ghost Whisperer airs Fridays on CBS. The big twist will happen during November sweeps.

What do you think of Ghost Whisperer? Do you watch it regularly? Why should people start watching the series now? Let your voice be heard in comments below!

Miss M.Shoremaine

I have said it more than once before and most people who are fans of this programme will agree with me, regarding Jim character being killed off. Doesn't matter how the producers or writers try 2 keep ratings going after they kill Jim character off, it will never work because they have made a rotten mistake 2 get rid of Jim character in the first place after the 4th season, when he's already a big part of the show has much as melinda's and well loved character by the fans of the programme. U tell me now, how is this programme ratings going 2 remain the same as how it used 2 be while Jim physical character is gone permanentely from the show? All I am saying is, now that they get rid of a good geniume character in the flesh like Jim which is very hard 2 come by, the producers and the writers have definitely killed the ratings and I'm one fan that will never watch this programme ever again after the 4th season is over and I tell u many viewers will follow me and do exactly the same thing !!!

November 20 2008 at 4:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jenn

I am a big fan since day 1. I don't watch a lot of TV so this is a big deal for me. I go out of my way to watch this show..I even got my husband hooked. I am 32 years old with 2 children and still find the time to make sure I watch Ghost Whisperer. I give this show a perfect 10. By the way if your reading this David Conrad.. your loved by many so make sure you don't leave us ;0)

November 08 2008 at 7:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Nancy W

I like it! (But, I have to watch it when my husband...and small children...aren't around.)

October 30 2008 at 9:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
snaik005

have you stopped reviewing supernatural? i can't find any of the season 4 reviews? any help?

October 30 2008 at 5:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to snaik005's comment
Isabelle Carreau

I suggest you read the following post for answers about why we don't review shows we used to anymore:

October 30 2008 at 5:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
divineparasite

GW is a guilty pleasure for me, what else is there to watch on a Friday night at 8 PM? So I watch GW. I actually don't like many of the supporting cast. I'm fine with Melinda and Jim, but don't particularly like much of the supporting characters. Lately it appears that Camryn Manhiem has been on it less and less, like they don't know what to do with her character. I don't like teenage Ned either. I miss Andrea (Aisha Tyler, who left to play a recurring character on CSI? Odd). Its going to be odd when they bring on the new twist. Let's hope they have a plan, and they don't end up shooting themselves in the foot.

October 30 2008 at 4:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Marga

I have always liked the show from the beginning mainly because I like Jennifer and respect James Van Praagh's work. I was completely drawn in to Jennifer's sentitivity she displays while working with the people that don't believe. As well as, the fact that she genuienly seems to care about helping the souls that are in need of help. She makes it look believable because her heart is in the right place.

Plus the writers are really good. Which can make or break a show. In addition to the consulting of people in the paranormal field that provide the material for the story lines. I will miss Mohr's character because I really liked him and how he was a professor of that had taught on the subject matter (if I'm not mistaken), but yet in reality he didn't believe in what Jennifer could do. Yet, he came around.

I hope the show goes on for many years. However, I wish they would bring back Moonlight. That was very interesting as well.

October 30 2008 at 1:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lorie

I thoroughly enjoy this show. I, too, liked Jay Mohr as Melinda's sidekick. More so than Jamie. Can't wait to learn what this "twist" is. I have an idea, but I'll keep it to myself.

October 30 2008 at 12:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Courtney

To be honest, I've held a grudge against Ghost Whisperer ever since CBS canceled Joan of Arcadia to put it on the air. But if I had to admit it, I have seen it from time to time (my parents watch it, so I've seen some episodes with them when I'm home), and it's not bad. The episodes themselves are well-rounded, and though sometimes I think all they want to do is show off Jennifer Love Hewitt's rack (the video game episode, anyone?), they're ok. I'm curious to know who might kick it, though. Darn intriguing premises.

Not a bad show, and good in its moments, but I still like Joan better.

October 30 2008 at 11:11 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply