April 19, 2014

King of the Hill to end, American Dad renewed

by Jason Hughes, posted Oct 31st 2008 10:06AM
FOX's
It looks like the Fox "Animation Domination" lineup will be changing. It took FOX long enough to put together a solid two hour block of animated cartoons on Sunday, but now comes word that the tides are a-changing. After thirteen years on the air, King of the Hill will wrap production at the end of this season. Of course, there will be new episodes in the can for airing even into next season. Not to mention that this isn't the first time Hill has been canceled, and ratings now are better than they were then. In fact, executive producer John Altschuler said, "It would be very odd for King of the Hill to not keep going."

At the same time, Seth MacFarlane's "other" show American Dad, has just been picked up for a fifth season. It makes sense for FOX to let King of the Hill go at this time, considering that Family Guy spin-off The Cleveland Show is waiting in the wings. On the other side, though, shouldn't they wait to see if that's going to work before they dump a solid perennial performer like Hill? The way they're going, Seth MacFarlane is going to own Sunday nights.

Here's an idea. Keep King of the Hill and give us a three hour block of animation. Put Futurama back on FOX as a series and we can have King of the Hill, Futurama, The Simpsons, American Dad, Family Guy and The Cleveland Show. Or, if you don't want MacFarlane back-to-back-to-back in the lineup like that you can mix it up. But let me tell you, that right there is a pretty solid animation lineup. I know I'm not even factoring in Sit Down, Shut Up, FOX's midseason animated series. Maybe Hill can go after all. What do you all think?

Zoidfarb

Personally, I began truly disliking MacFarlane on the 100th episode special of FG, when they kept breaking away to his comments. Pretty much showed me what type of guy he is. I guess for Groening, it shows that on Fox, nice guys do finish last.

I was (am still) hoping that the canceling of KOTH would pave the way for a Futurama return. A 3rd MacFarlane show would just be the ultimate brush off for us Groening / Futurama fans!

For everyone with TIVO, if you feel the same, give all MacFarlane shows 3 thumbs down (whether you like FG or not, as I somewhat do), and Simpson's/Futurama 3 thumbs up!

November 24 2008 at 4:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tim McCleese

Come to think of it, I once tried to like this show, but it just fell below my amusement bar. I won't miss it.

November 07 2008 at 12:05 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rocketboy_X

I just died a little inside.

November 04 2008 at 12:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Monkeyman

Long overdue. This show was and always has been horrible.

November 04 2008 at 12:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jim

I hope KOTH gets a proper season finale. If it doesn't it will be as disrespectful as when Fox cancelled AD

November 02 2008 at 9:56 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to jim's comment
mike

they have already have a episode made that they been saving as a possible series finale

November 03 2008 at 10:15 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
tingrin87

i'll agree with this.

also, re: Futurama, i was under the impression that CC bought an exclusive contract, and that's why CN had their whole "every futurama EVAR" marathon at the end of 2007. but i may be mistaken.
and "Sit Down, Shut Up" (or "Class Dismissed" as wiki thinks it's going to be called) looks like it'll be good, what with Arnett, Bateman, and Keenan Thompson, but i'm not sure if i'll like the animation-over-live action backdrop... but i'll probably force myself to like it because of the cast.

November 01 2008 at 1:55 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to tingrin87's comment
Monkeydog

Yep Comedy Central now owns the airing rights to Futurama.

But they also negotiated the 5th season(or the set of four movies)...and they may continue the series from there, they may not. I certainly hope they do. Bender's Game wasn't as...movie centric as the first two were...but these three movies are some of the best Futurama I've ever seen, it'd be stupid to continue to keep it canceled.

November 01 2008 at 3:46 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
StillBash

Contract re-negotiations. That's all.

October 31 2008 at 11:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mrkorb

I hate King of the Hill. I almost wish they'd put it on at 8, so then I can just start watching at 8:30 with The Simpsons.

October 31 2008 at 5:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
james

I LOVE KING OF THE HILL!!!! However 13 seasons for any show is enough. I think that with the Cleveland Show that Seth will become over-saturated and I really am un-interested in the show's premise. I also think that (contrary to what I have read) American DAD is the superior show. I really would not miss Family Guy (due to it's incessant repeats in syndication) if it were canceled; so if Cleveland replaced it, I think that would be cool. How about this, since the Simpsons won't seem to die, why don't they actually try to do something other than sitcoms with animation.
7pm - American DAD
7:30 - Cleveland Show
8pm - Simpsons
8:30 - Sit Down, Shut Up!
9pm - A SciFi Drama in the Katsuhiro Otomo style
9:30 - an Xfiles/Fringe animated spin-off
Or for that matter just revive Werewolf.

October 31 2008 at 4:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jayr2345

I really think it would be a mistake to cancel KOTH, because right now that is the only thing to kind of balance out the comedy night. KOTH is great because it is more subtle humor whereas Simpsons, Family Guy and American dad is all in your face, stupid humor. Don't get me wrong, I love the other three shows alot, but I think that the whole Sunday night block being the Macfarlane shows and Simpsons be enough to alienate viewers that don't like that kind of humor but like the KOTH subtle humor

October 31 2008 at 4:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply