September 1, 2014

Guy in his kitchen does a better Olbermann than Ben Affleck - VIDEO

by Joel Keller, posted Nov 3rd 2008 1:03PM
Ben Affleck as Keith Olbermann on SNLIf you watched Saturday Night Live this past week (or caught up with the show online), you know that they finally decided to skewer Keith Olbermann and the self-important tone he uses... well, just about everywhere. One major problem: the impression, by guest host Ben Affleck, stunk on ice. In the far-too-long sketch, Affleck spent the entire time trying to get a hold on how Olbermann sounds, alternately making the Countdown host sound like a British lord of the manor and a man with clogged sinuses. It didn't help that the sketch was all over the place, mocking the entire Countdown show rather than one particular segment, Olbermann's oh-so-mockable Special Comments.

But one comedian, Michael Terry, completely nails the Olbermann impression in the video after the jump. In it, he doesn't attempt to ape the entire show; he just makes a Special Comment complaining about how he got cheated on his Subway sandwich. "Double meat, sir, as any Ritalin-addled eight-year old will tell you, means twice the amount of meat." It's hilarious, and it puts Affleck's impression to shame.

What's ironic about this video is that Terry used this as part of an audition reel for -- you guessed it -- Saturday Night Live. Hm. Perhaps the folks there should take a second look. They need to do more Olbermann sketches and, thankfully, Affleck will probably be too busy directing movies to reprise the role anytime soon.

[via What's Alan Watching?]

Jennifer

Affleck's impression was hilarious. I don't think I have laughed so hard at SNL in a long time. The amateur's impression was decent, but I didn't laugh out loud once.

:-/

I would love to see videos of the impressions mentioned by MrWeen. Is there a "Best of Celebrity Jeopardy" DVD? If not, they should really consider it; those sketches were the highlight of a dim time for SNL.

December 05 2008 at 5:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lisette

Affleck's Olberman was way better...anyone that watches KO on a regular basis can appreciate all the little nuances of Affleck's performance, like how he turns to the different cameras and the inflections in his voice. The other guys was rather...stiff.

November 04 2008 at 5:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MAC

Affleck's Olbermann impression was one of the worst I've ever seen, and that's saying something. This guy is a little better, but not much. SNL would do themselves a favor if they could find someone to do both Olbermann and O'Reilly - their silly feud is ripe for lampooning. God knows they're gonna need something to keep us tuning in after the election's over.

November 03 2008 at 10:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Peter Lynn

Sorry to be a pedant, by the way. I was in a grumpy mood.

November 03 2008 at 8:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Peter Lynn

It's "lord of the manor", not "lord of the manner".

November 03 2008 at 6:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Peter Lynn's comment
Joel Keller

Thanks. Not sure why I didn't have it that way to begin with. It's been fixed.

November 03 2008 at 8:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
John D\'arc

what was Ben Affleck promoting anyway? normally, hosts have a movie to shill.

November 03 2008 at 5:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jim

I don't think this guy's impression is any better or worse than Ben's. Olbermann is a tough one to nail.

Let's give props where it's due: Ben's UPS delivery guy was hilarious!

November 03 2008 at 4:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joey Geraci

The actual accuracies of the voices is about equal (although Affleck's was less stable). But this video definitely fits the ebb and flow of the writing in Keith's Special Comment's better than the hodgepodge we say Saturday.

November 03 2008 at 3:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Butters

Michael Terry's video was great but I liked Ben Affleck's version as well. Not many presenters take on impersonations and Affleck always does a great job in all the sketches.

November 03 2008 at 3:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to Butters's comment
Tony Scida

I can't think of ANY other celebrity hosts that have done impressions off the top of my head. I don't think Affleck's impression was great, it was very ballsy. Most hosts can barely take their eyes off of the cue cards.

November 04 2008 at 11:13 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MrWeen

Are you guys crazy? Lots of celebrities do impressions on SNL. My favourite being Kevin Spacey doing Jack Lemmon, Waltar Matthau and Christopher Walken doing Star Wars characters. How about the sketch Celebrity Jeopardy? Here's the lists of hosts impressions.

* David Duchovny as Jeff Goldblum
* Tobey Maguire as Keanu Reeves
* Norm Macdonald as Burt Reynolds
* Martin Short as Jerry Lewis
* Lucy Liu as Catherine Zeta-Jones
* Ben Stiller as Tom Cruise
* Reese Witherspoon as Anne Heche
* Winona Ryder as Björk
* John Goodman as Marlon Brando
* Matthew Perry as Michael Keaton
* Drew Barrymore as Calista Flockhart

If you've never seen Duchovny do Goldblum you must see it. It is hilarious.

Justin Timberlake does a pretty funny Ashton Kutchor impression.

Alec Baldwin does a great Tony Bennet impression.

Should I go on?

Please don't make me correct you again. I hate when people are wrong on the internet!

November 04 2008 at 10:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bruce

This was pretty good, although he doesn't look anything like KO (presuably the pros at SNL could do a better makeup job). But I'd like to see what else was on his SNL audition tape. This isn't so good that it could be the one thing he does.

And just for what it's worth, in defense of KO, the things he gets all riled up about are things all americans should be riled up about. As far as I know, he's never had a comment about anything even remotely trivial, though I can't claim to have seen all of his "special comments"... but the few I've seen were certainly about legitimate subjects.

November 03 2008 at 2:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply