September 1, 2014

Hahn leaving Grey's Anatomy this week: was it because of lesbian storyline?

by Isabelle Carreau, posted Nov 3rd 2008 11:25PM
Brooke Smith of Grey's AnatomyBecause I'm writing the Spoilers Anonymous column every week, I'm pretty much up-to-date with what is going to happen in our favorite TV series. However, I never saw the latest news from Entertainment Weekly's Michael Ausiello coming. Reading comments left in response to Ausiello's announcement and a post on the same subject written by E!'s Kristin Dos Santos, it looks like I'm not the only one extremely surprised by the news.

Usually, we get a few weeks warning before a major character leaves a series. But this time, we get about four days to prepare. As reported by Ausiello and many other entertainment media today, actress Brooke Smith is leaving the ABC hit series this Thursday. To learn more about her departure and what other tweaks the network asked the show to make, continue reading.

Spoilers ahead!

Michael Ausiello reports that Smith, a series regular, has been fired from the show. This is Grey's second actor firing. If you recall Isaiah Washington was fired from the show a few years back due to comments he made about fellow actor T.R. Knight. However, Brooke Smith is being fired for different reasons.

Show creator Shonda Rhimes claims the writers did not find the magic and chemistry needed to have Hahn sustain in the long run. However, according to Ausiello's sources, the network ordered the firing because they had issues with Dr. Hahn and the explicit relationship she has with Dr. Torres.

Kristin Dos Santos says that the network also asked the show to tweak Melissa George's new character, set to be introduced during November Sweeps, down a bit. George's character was set to be bisexual and flirt with Torres. Now, there will be some flirting but the storyline will not go anywhere and George's character will be straight.

Hahn may not be the greatest Grey's Anatomy character and I have not been enjoying the Hahn/Torres relationship much because the two actresses lack some chemistry, but did they need to get rid of the character so abruptly? Supposedly, she won't even get a proper send off. Hahn gets in a car and that's it. The end. Do not call us, we'll call you. I, for one, have enjoyed her character since she brought a different flavor to the show. Hahn was fierce in surgery and gave Cristina a run for her money. Maybe Hahn can get a job at Oceanside (aka Private Practice)?

If only the ABC suits could order Shonda Rhimes to make Meredith less needy and annoying...

Lynn Lello

The removal of Hahn's character is despicable. Her no-nonsense character added spice to the show. It also added a much needed diversity, since the show has become somewhat of a soap opera. The "gray" area of the relationship between Dr. Hahn and Dr. Torres gave the show a lift. Ending with a clip of the two doctors in conflict made the show much more interesting. We never knew what to expect. At least we knew it wasn't the usual heterosexual relationships being tried over and over again.

This is 2008. Get over it!!!! Are people still homophobic?

November 11 2008 at 9:56 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kip

DON'T PUT SPOILERS IN THE TITLE OF THE POSTS PLEASE! SOME OF US ACTUALLY DON'T LIKE SPOILERS AND MAYBE HAVEN'T SEEN THE LATEST EPISODE YET.

November 07 2008 at 8:18 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Nicole

I'm so pissed she's leaving! I liked her and callie's relationship... it was something new and fresh and I think it shows a sign of prejudice that they are firing her that way....! Augh! I'm so frustrated... for the first time since watching the show this makes me not want to watch it anymore! I'm probably overreacting but the reasoning behind her leaving is so ignorant and prejudice....

November 06 2008 at 10:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Paula

I liked Hahn as a Dr. and really enjoyed her putting Christina in her place. I did not like the Hahn/Torres storyline. In fact I hated it, then last night on Bones they tried it!

November 06 2008 at 8:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
BigGreysFan

The network/producers didn't "kill" or "dismiss" this character. There was an article in People Magazine back in May that said Brooke Smith recently adopted a baby and PLANNED to leave the show. I guess with the lesbian storyline, the producer decided to send her off with a bang!

November 06 2008 at 7:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
The Dimps

Well thanks to ABC after thursday I will no longer be a grey's fan. I have been watching for 2 yrs and holding out hope for this story line. But I have to say that I really can't put all the blame on ABC. I think that Glaad and ABC was at fault. Glaad put to much out there at one time. They should have taken this a little slower. Brooke Smith if you read these posts. I thought you played the part as Erica so well. I actually am heart broken. I will miss you and Callie so very much.

November 04 2008 at 10:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1iPete

I'm feeling a Hahn resurrection on the L Word where she and any storyline will be welcomed and accepted.

November 04 2008 at 4:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Laura

my bad - meant ABC. i'll be more careful in my rants next time.

November 04 2008 at 3:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Laura

i'm shocked. really and truly shocked. i hate hahn as a character but was totally sucked in with these adult women who were choosing to go down this route with their eyes completely open - am i so naive to have thought that as an adult myself i could CHOOSE NOT TO WATCH THE SHOW IF THE STORYLINE OFFENDED ME IN ANYWAY!!

WTF!!! let me choose for myself NBC

November 04 2008 at 3:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply