October 30, 2014

NBC cans two Heroes producers

by Bob Sassone, posted Nov 3rd 2008 2:50PM
EWSo the big Heroes backlash now has two victims.

NBC has fired two producers that have been with the show since day one, Jesse Alexander and Jeph Loeb. The show has been getting a lot of negative press lately (actually, ever since the strike-shortened second season), including this Entertainment Weekly cover story on what's wrong with the show and how to fix it. Sources say the two were let go because Universal is unhappy with the direction and cost of the show.

Look, is Heroes as good as it was the first season? No, it's not. But I think that's because of two reasons. One, it's not new anymore. Two, way too many characters, and when you have too many characters it affects the structure of the show. Now, the show has always had a lot of characters and storylines going at the same time, but now they have more "extra" characters on the show we have to follow (and often follow them in two different years, heh). So that criticism of the show is accurate.

But so what? I mean, I think the show is still one of the most entertaining hours on TV. One where you can really escape for an hour and get involved in a comic book on the screen. If you're a true fan of the show, just go with it. It's going to have storylines we don't like and characters that are used too much/not enough, but I'm in this for the long haul. I want to see how this battle with Papa Petrelli plays out, what side Sylar is on, and how all of the heroes are going to have their individual stories come together in a big battle. I'm also looking forward to the next chapter, "Villains," with Zeljko Ivanek.

So, what about you? How do you feel about Heroes this year?

What do you think of Heroes now?
It's still great!223 (32.2%)
It sucks more than a Dyson vacuum.166 (24.0%)
It's not as good as it was, but I still like it.304 (43.9%)

b dearing

It's funny that this is coming up now. Watching last week's eposide, I was struck with the now-familiar sense of uneasiness about this mess of a show. Mulling it over later, I decided that it was noisy and busy but had become an ultimately pointless exercise with no underlying theme or idea to hold it together. There are plenty of excesses to address here, but really it's an excess of all the excesses (characters, time travel, etc.) that make it almost unwatchable.

November 04 2008 at 12:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Karen

The gold standard for this kind of show is Joss Whedon's "Buffy the Vampire Slayer", and one of the things that made that show so darn good was it's internal logic and structure. The "through-line" of even the most minor character was never, ever changed: who they were and what they liked or disliked, could do or couldn't do, etc.. was established early on and STUCK to, so that the characters always seemed like very real people, no matter how "unreal" the plot. The fantasy aspects always have to have that solid underpinning, or the whole thing disintregates, like Heroes did.

November 04 2008 at 10:38 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Phish

Your reasons for the show being lousy are bullcrap. Just look at Lost. 1) its NOT new. 2) They have a large cast as well.
It's all about the writing and the vision. Lost doesnt try to cram everyones storyline into each episode, leaving 3 mins of screen time for every single cast member, that is idiotic and unsatisfying. Lost focuses heavily on a particular cast member in its flashback, and ties that in to the current storyline. It's brilliant and it works.
They should have fired more that 2 producers of this crap-assed show that is called Heroes.

November 04 2008 at 4:38 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mike W

I wish the Heroes writers would read Squanto and alexmonty's comments. Yes, the problem is character consistency, folks!

Sure, characters can grow and change over time, but this is ridiculous. When I was a kid I used to make fun of my sister's soap operas, it was like the whole cast had Multiple Personality Disorder. A scheming witch in one story arc turned into a sensitive, sympathetic character in the next. I was amazed my sister tolerated such lazy writing - I stopped watching Heroes a few weeks ago after I realized I was tolerating it, too.

November 03 2008 at 8:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
alexmonty

Since season 2 I felt like the writers are a bunch of teenagers trying to make a complex show in a day by day basis , there is no control of logic over the plot, almost every one's dialogue seems immature and out of character, they let things go out of their hands like having the wrong ppl getting the wrong powers that maybe were useful in season 1 (time travel, power acquisition) but now are just baggage and since the fan favorites are the ones who have it they can't get ride of them too easy.

I know this is a comic book based show, but come on, even super-heroes movies don't go with that cheesy dialogues that make any daytime soap opera look like written by Shakespeare. Grow up!!, this is not a Saturday morning cartoon don't let the protagonist go out of character just for the sake of the plot.

November 03 2008 at 6:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chip Douglas

I love Heroes. I love the sci-fi and I like the comic book genre. I don't think there are two many characters. If you want less to keep track of, then watch Two and a Half Men. I agree that the show has many flaws and failures.

Traveling to Africa has been boring. Almost as boring as Hiro in feudal Japan. These story lines can be completed in one episode.

Let people die. Sure, make Claire special, but I better not see Adam again. Move the story along.

And the time travel is not a good plot device. These people are supposed to have amazing abilities. Continue to make the show about that and less about what may happen in some sort of future butterfly effect reality in the future.

I agree that the producers should have been let go. This is an amazing franchise. It would be extremely disappointing if Heroes was not picked up for a fourth and fifth season. Let the series end with a proper finale and wrap up.

November 03 2008 at 5:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Riley Freeman

there are too many characters and not to mention future and present characters so technically theres 2 of everyone. hrg is annoying. claire needs to learn how to act. mohinder is also annoying but its interesting to see who takes him down and when they find out what he becomes.

nathan and this triplet whatever her name is annoying they should have stuck with the original one.

November 03 2008 at 5:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Squanto

I've heard all the clap-trap from Heroes apologists... I loved season 1. Smart, plot & character driven fun. Second Season, meh. Third, Super Lame. Here's my take on what went wrong: There is no internal logic to this world they've created. There are apparently no rules for them to follow or violate. All good Sci-Fi, or any drama for that matter, is based in a universe with its own system of logic. You write within these confines and it all works, if you arbitrarily ignore what has already been established than it's nothing more than hackery and smoke & mirrors. Aside from the time travel the core of the show takes place over the course of three years and none of the characters seem to remember what they even did a week prior. FAIL.

November 03 2008 at 4:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Stone

The biggest thing that Heroes lacks now is character development. The thing that made Season 1 stand out is that they took efforts to actually give the characters some backstory and enable viewers to build relationships with them. Now it seems that characters are coming in out of nowhere with no explanation and being killed or captured and pretty much not heard of since.

Take the character of Doyle for instance. He is by far the most interesting character of the past two seasons. He could've been built up to become the next Sylar but instead he got what.....1 episode? What's up with that?

November 03 2008 at 4:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
R-Bro

You know, the first few eps of the first season were pretty crummy, too, but then it hit its stride. Of course, the S1 finale stunk, and everything since has been mediocre at best. The show is just too all over the place. We'll see if new writers/producers can save it. Doubt it.

November 03 2008 at 4:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply