July 25, 2014

Update: Tim Kring admits Heroes is confusing

by Bob Sassone, posted Nov 4th 2008 2:42PM
Greg GrunbergThe other day we told you about NBC telling Heroes creator/executive producer Tim Kring to fire two producers on the show (Jesse Alexander and Jeph Loeb), and now Kring says that he agrees with some of the criticisms of the show.

Kring has been very, very involved in the show this season as the showrunner, and many think that might be the problem. So now Kring wants to get back to a more simplified type of storytelling, with more character development and less outlandish scenes. This is welcome news to fans that think the show has gone off course but still want to watch it, as will this news, that not only will Kring possibly replace the two producers with first season producer Bryan Fuller, but also that some heroes are going to be killed off to clean up the story a bit. The "Villains" chapter ends next month; then we'll have the "Fugitives" chapter for the second half of the season.

This isn't the first time that Kring has agreed with criticisms of the show. He said it a few months ago about the second season too.

ian

well, i think heroes is a really great program and i dont think anything should be changed. tim kring seems like an intelligent personality and i trust him with his work.i only think that he should avoid too many characters. i dont find the relevance of having too many characters. in seasons one and to, the prog made more sense and had a very obvious theme that was understandable and straight foward, different pple in the world realising their powers and trying to fit them into their daily lives.i think season three has gone big.it is not about people in the world realising their powers but its about one family split into two, each team finding reinforcements to fight the other side....
but i think heroes is pretty great. its in fact fantastic. i just think that tim kring should rechek his script and avoid adding too mamy more characters. adding is ok, but exess adding of unessesary characters doesnt make sense. and i dont think he should fire anyone. he should just work together with his current crew of actors, co-writers, producers and directors....out of ten, i give heroes an 8.5.

December 13 2008 at 7:47 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MWM

Kill list:
Claire "icant feel pain" Bennett- top of my list, can't act, one dimensional, selfish, annoying, must she have the same facial expression for every scene?

Suresh-never heard of a dumb scientist before.

Nikki/Tracy/Barbara/or any other variations that we do not know about. --nice to look at but does not add anything to the story.

Micah and his copycat cousin - Booooring..yawn

The entire Claire Bennett family with exception of HRG. I am counting biological and adopted mothers.Claire's brother

Nathan "I can fly" Petrelli - can't they just shoot him when he is in the air?

Knox - I feed on people's fear...so what

Parkman and the lil love child he had with Suresh.

Hiro - yes I said it, kill Hiro. unless he can transform into future Hiro within this season, I say kill him off. I wished that Ando can get his powers soon.

Bring back -
Adam Monroe - this character had alot of potential. Too bad he had a very simple death

Invisible guy-from season 1

Haitian--want to see more of him

Keep:

HRG
Future Peter
Future Hiro
Both Petrelli Parents
Sylar

November 08 2008 at 1:38 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mel

Personally, I think the show's still great and that there aren't too many characters at all. I still believe in Heroes, I never stopped believing.

November 05 2008 at 5:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
metz

Kring has said this before and then not followed through. Criticism for season 2 was; too many new characters, too many stupid decisions and not enough forward motion.

What did he do? Added more characters, made them dumber and made the story lines spastic.

Here's hoping he learns from his last round of "fixes" which made the show worse.

November 05 2008 at 1:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Toni

I am extremely disappointed that Kring would back down to people that don't want to "think"... He's listening to the minority (I hope) that are addicted to mind numbing shows like Dancing with The Stars... This show makes you THINK.. remember that ? .. This show is a puzzle ! If you want Happy Days back.. watch the "back in the day" channel.

November 04 2008 at 5:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Toni's comment
Carissa

Not wanting to think is hardly the problem. Not wanting my brain to fry on needless and boring storylines of a bunch of characters I don't give a crap about is not a comment on thinking. I hate reality shows, don't watch them and don't want to. I like House, Lost, Fringe, loved Buffy & X Files...I like shows that make me think. Boston Legal even. What I don't like anymore is Heroes. I'd rather spend my time thinking about shows that may have a point than one that rambles into nowhere.

November 04 2008 at 9:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jeremy P.

Well, if you read the E News article linked, it says Fuller is one of the names being bandied about as a replacement, not that he is the replacement.

The TV Squad article is a bit confusing on that regard.

November 04 2008 at 5:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
divineparasite

He's bringing back Bryan Fuller? I thought the whole reason he left in the first place was to do "Pushing Daisies", and don't say PD is getting cancelled so he'll have plenty of time to devote to "Heroes". PD is still a very funny and entertaining series, it needs to last.

November 04 2008 at 5:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jan

If Tim Kring is bringing back Bryan Fuller, what does that imply for the future of the much beloved "Pushing Daisies?" ABC hasn't ordered the back 9 episodes of "PD" yet. I'd rather keep "PD" and lose "Heroes" if we had to make a choice.

November 04 2008 at 4:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Jan's comment
shawn

You stole the words from my brain.

Is this the end of Pushing Daisies?

I'm glad to hear Fuller is joining Heroes but canot believe he'll ALSO be showrunner on an ABC show.

November 04 2008 at 5:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
litehousebeacon

Jeph Loeb is one of the best superhero narrative writers of all time, and they fired him? Idiots!

November 04 2008 at 4:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
NvM

Maybe I'll watch the 4th season.

I remember the pilot, good writing, actual characters.

November 04 2008 at 4:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply