April 17, 2014

Election Night: Comedy Central - VIDEO

by Annie Wu, posted Nov 5th 2008 1:02AM
Jon and Stephen
It's fantastic to see Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert team up on something other than an award show (not that I'm complaining about super-adorable Stewart/Colbert/Carell hugs, which warm my otherwise bitterly cold heart). It will be interesting to see how the boys react to the live results, but I'm most interested in seeing how Stephen Colbert stays in character. Check back later for videos Click on the jump for the full episode!

10:05: Man, those intros were hardcore. And how long is that bird going to stay on Stephen's shoulder? I'm waiting for a startled poo. I'm still not used to seeing Jon and Stephen together. It's too much awesome.

10:12: Hi, Jason Jones! Nice to see -- Whoa, what just happened? Something flashed on the screen, but I didn't catch it. Suddenly compelled to join the military, though.

10:14: Speaking of military... Hi, Rob Riggle! And bye, Rob Riggle. That was quick. John Oliver, Wyatt Cenac and the rest of the team are rocking new Macs, it looks like. So fancy. And did John just say "shit burger"? Is that okay? My ears feel dirty.

10:21: Steve Forbes is in the middle of a wonderful sandwich. Was that too much? I'm sorry. Jon just made a double-whammy mean joke about Iowa and McCain, but what I really liked was his guilty look of satisfaction. Well done, sir.

10:23: A rhino from Rhode Island just used a laser to shoot a golden helmet on Barack Obama. I love it. I mean, I don't get it, but I still love it.

10:30: Whoa. Stephen is live-blogging the event. And I'm blogging about it. That's so meta. And Barack Obama just showed his boobies for beads. That's not the way to get votes, man!

10:32: The news team hit the streets to see if the Bradley Effect really kicked in. Hey, where's Aasif Mandvi? Haven't seen him around.

10:39: Samantha Bee, MC Escher and John McCain! Oh, and there's Aasif Mandvi... chillin' at Al Qaeda's headquarters.

10:45: Friend of the Obamas, Charles Ogletree, sitting at the desk. Mr. Ogletree is holding his own against Jon and Stephen pretty well, throwing in his own zingers here and there. I guess he's feeling good. The audience is in love with Michelle Obama, apparently. I still remember how she totally burned Stephen Colbert when she was on the Colbert Report during its stay in Philadelphia. That wasn't cool, Michelle.

10:49: Larry Wilmore is preparing to take over the show? And Wyatt Cenac is taking over the Colbert Report? Nooo -- I'm not racist or anything -- oooo!

10:56: Stephen Colbert is getting pissed. Can't wait to see what he has in store for tomorrow night. Really, both shows are going to be excellent, but Colbert's going to flip out. I like Jon's little lesson to Stephen too, about America being a "show" country tonight.

11:01 President Barack Obama! Ahh. Oh, wow. I hear people screaming outside. And on TV. And here come Samantha and Jason, the Canadians! And John, missing Meow-garet Thatcher! And Rob with no pants! And Aasif Mandvi is back from Pakistan! And Wyatt Cenac and Larry Wilmore are back too! This is craziness.

11:05 Why is there a little street urchin on the roof?

11:06 Ahh. So... that's it. Good night. Wow. Again... wow.

nickmagoo

no mention of Colbert tearing up - he had to take his glasses off and wipe them. that wasn't fake...

"shit burger" - sounds like stewart's been watching the AWESOME canadian tv show 'trailer park boys.' (the word shit is used as a connector to EVERYTHING imaginable. genius show)

November 05 2008 at 3:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
viewdrix

I was so disappointed, especially compared to the pretty darn good 2004 and 2006 live election shows. This seemed less than one third written, I didn't think the street report was that funny, and the rest was the two guests and some blah commentary by Stewart and Colbert (though Colbert being the veteran improv guy came up with some fairly clever bits, even if not hilarious). I wanted something special. Colbert's ignorant character interacting with the ignorant correspondent characters rather than Stewart the straight man. I was so hopeful when he started talking to Samantha Bee, but then Stewart cut them off. Get him on with Rob Riggle and let them be all super-duper patriotic or something. Have him debate Jon Oliver and call him a limey, anything. I was also hoping John Hodgman would show up briefly (since he was backstage according to Twitter).

November 05 2008 at 1:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Peanut

I read part of the 10:30 entry as "And I'm showing boobies for beads."

November 05 2008 at 12:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
StillBash

This was so god damn awful... just goes to show that they should stick to what they usually do and leave the real news to the real news people.

Sorry but the whole hour felt like a really boring standup routine read off cuecards. I guess they can't do live.

November 05 2008 at 11:27 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to StillBash's comment
Zachary

I agree. It was pretty bad.

On the plus side, it was a reason for Annie to cover TDS and TCR again.

November 05 2008 at 2:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ac

I happened to put this on around 10:30 but then my roommate came in and turned it to Espn and then put it back on at like 10:55. As soon as Stewart called the winner I yelled to put it on CNN so I missed pretty much all of this. Didn't help their commercial breaks were parallel with CNN's.

November 05 2008 at 11:24 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chris Shifty

Won't forget the day when Jon Stewart announced that Barrack won the Electoral College.

November 05 2008 at 3:46 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Chris Shifty's comment
Viv

That's where i heard the historic moment too. I was about to change the channel to CNN to see the 11 O'clock results when Stewart nonchalantly called the race for President Obama. CNN and others followed Comedy Central.

November 05 2008 at 9:26 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
King Zilch

Man, sounds funny. Wish the listings in my area had been accurate, so my DVR would have recorded this instead of a Scrubs rerun.

November 05 2008 at 2:07 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to King Zilch's comment
MarcDom7

Don't worry: that Scrubs rerun is less than ten minutes on that airing (the first showing at 7 of Indecision ran long) so if you didn't delete the entry you can still watch 4/5s of the special.

November 05 2008 at 12:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply