September 16, 2014

Reactions to Ghost Whisperer's big twist

by Isabelle Carreau, posted Nov 8th 2008 2:20PM
Ghost WhispererThere you have it people, Ghost Whisperer's big twist was revealed in this week's episode titled "Imaginary Friends & Enemies." If you've been keeping up with spoilers about the show, you knew about this event since the end of August. When the info was released, fans strongly reacted to it which prompted the brains behind the show to address the upcoming death in interviews posted on the web. No matter what the creators said about the storyline being really interesting and opening new possibilities for the show, some fans were in denial and actually thought the creators would not go ahead with their plan. Sadly for them, the creators did not tweak their plan.

Now that the big death occurred, what do fans think about the twist?

My opinion about Jim's death in this week's episode hasn't changed since I wrote my "Why I now embrace Ghost Whisperer and look forward to that big twist" post. I believe that his death could open up a lot of possibilities for the show if they have Jim not cross over. Due to Melinda's reaction to his death, it wouldn't surprise me that he sticks around until she accepts it. Thanks to Jim remaining a ghost, we could learn more about the ghost world from how does the world look like from a ghost point of view to how the dark side tries to recruit them. To fans who believe that this is the end of Jim and Melinda as a couple, should I remind you that this is a sci fi/fantasy show and that everything and anything can happen including The Powers That Be agreeing to resurrect Jim so that Melinda can properly continue her job?

What do other fans of the show think of the twist? Here are a few comments posted on the CBS's Ghost Whisperer forums:

• Without Jim there to support Melinda, the show will just be too heart-wrenching. I loved that show, but they've just lost me now. I'll be back only if Jim's somehow alive.
  • They killed the only part of Melinda that made her feel normal. What does she have left now. There's no one left to talk things through with or to keep her grounded when things got crazy.
  • I don't think it was a good thing. I hope this is just a dream. It would not work for him to be a ghost because Melinda would not be able to move on with her life.

Out of the 100+ comments I read on CBS's forums, I haven't read one that was supportive of Jim's death. Of course, most of these posts were made immediately after the episode aired so people didn't have time to sit back and look at the change under a different light. I'm not happy that a character had to die, especially Jim, but, if done right by the writers, Jim's death can bring a breath of fresh air to the show. In interview with TV Guide, David Conrad says he's enjoying his character's fate as it allows him to do things he never did before on a TV series. If in the end Jim stays dead, I won't be a happy GW fan and will probably need to vent like people did on CBS's forum. Until then, I'm willing to enjoy the ride and see what the writers have in store.

What do you think of the Ghost Whisperer twist? Do you think the show jumped the shark or not? What did you think of the final scene in which Ghost Jim tells Melinda that he died? Let your voice be heard in our poll and in comments below.

Did Ghost Whisperer jump the shark with Jim's death?
Yes2021 (71.0%)
No157 (5.5%)
I'll wait to see it played out before making a decision.667 (23.4%)

fancastfan

In an interview that just went up live, Ghost Whisperer executive producer P.K. Simonds spoke to Fancast about the surprising turn of events with Jim's death, and the unrest voiced on fan boards about it! Simonds says fans should not fret because "it's going to be a roller coaster ride, and we haven't gotten to the bottom yet," adding "we also haven't gotten to the top." Simonds also spilled a little behind the scenes secret on the additional role that Jennifer Love Hewitt will play on an upcoming episode. He also talks about WHY the show took the turn it did, how the actors reacted to the news, and speaks directly to fans worried about the new storyline. It's a pretty interesting interview. Direct link to it is:

December 12 2008 at 4:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Miffed

I am pretty miffed on turn-of-events too. I loved the Melidna/Jim relationship. Best TV relationship since Marge and Homer. In fact, I like it enough that I will give the show a couple of episodes to recover before I permanently bolt. (I actually bawled the whole funeral show - just too close to home). Some questions 1) where was Dr. Payne ?? (who clearly has deep feelings for Melinda, and now may have a shot) You would have thought he would have flown back for the funeral - really (my friends would have). Also - didn't we learn in a previous show that spirits who inhabit dead bodies become zombies???

November 30 2008 at 11:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Miffed's comment
Isabelle Carreau

Dr. Payne is busy being "Gary Unmarried" so that's why he didn't show up in the episode.

December 01 2008 at 9:01 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Miss M.Shoremaine

I have said it more than once before and most people who are fans of this programme will agree with me, regarding Jim character being killed off. Doesn't matter how the producers or writers try 2 keep ratings going after they kill Jim character off, it will never work because they have made a rotten mistake 2 get rid of Jim character in the first place after the 4th season, when he's already a big part of the show has much as melinda's and well loved character by the fans of the programme. U tell me now, how is this programme ratings going 2 remain the same as how it used 2 be while Jim physical character is gone permanentely from the show? All I am saying is, now that they get rid of a good geniume character in the flesh like Jim which is very hard 2 come by, the producers and the writers have definitely killed the ratings and I'm one fan that will never watch this programme ever again after the 4th season is over and I tell u many viewers will follow me and do exactly the same thing !!!

November 20 2008 at 4:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Shelia

Myhusband and I were huge fans of this show until they killed off her husband. We think that is the worst thing this show could have done! That was her soul mate and her best friend in which she had someone to confide in with her situations. The show will not be the same without him!!! If he is not reinstated in his own body somehow, we will not be watching this show anymore!

November 15 2008 at 9:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
connie

I gave the show another week---majorly disappointed!! I really enjoyed watching this show but I'll have to say I probably won't watch it anymore. It's just getting to be a little over the top. Jim and Melinda had a special chemistry which I felt held the show together. I'm really bummed!!!

November 15 2008 at 8:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
gwfan

I hadn't cried this hard since my mother died! I hope this is a dream while he lays in a coma. His character is too good to have been killed off and in such a stupid way. Yes we do lose loved ones in real life. But this is not reality...it's our escape from it. Bring him back before you lose viewers!

November 15 2008 at 7:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Syndi McLeland

I am a big fan of the show, "Ghost Whisperer" because of my own personal experiences and how the characters all play off of each other. The show does not bring a lot of truism as much as it brings hope and understanding that our loved ones do cross over and are out of pain. Jim Clancy's death broke my heart and made me cry because his part on this program is just as important as any other cast member or character, only he brings stability to the show by casting the emotion of love for Melinda and the understanding of her gift. The tie-in to each character is precious in their delivery to the audience in giving love, understanding, hope and knowledge where other shows of this like do not provide these emotions.

Allowing Melinda's one true love to die would truly bring unbelievable situations to the show. I would have to watch the next few shows to even determine if this is a show I would continue to enjoy. This is one show that I even tape when I cannot be at home during the time of its airing, because I did not wish to miss not even one show.

My take is: bring Jim back. The audience has grown to appreciate his character as well as any other member on the show.

Thank you.

November 15 2008 at 6:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
NotAgain!

Well, not having read any spoilers earlier on, I thought the coyote got pushed off the cliff when Payne left for Africa. (That hug spoke volumes).

All during Friday's episode I was thinking maybe they were creating an opening for Payne to come back, if Gary Unmarried didn't pan out after the original 13 episodes.

And honestly, I don't see that happening, as, while it does have it's funny moments, it seems to be going the way of all the other typical generic sitcoms these days.

David and Jennifer had good onscreen chemistry, but I kind of liked the chemistry between Jay Mohr and Jennifer too.

Payne and Melinda had a little more baseline commonality than Jim and Melinda did, or that seemed to be the way it was developing - before he died.

And with the 3rd guy, they could have become sort of an ersatz Supernatural "Mod Squad" as time floated on.

November 15 2008 at 5:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Barbara

What a bummer!! This was so unnecessary, the show was not slowing down, but was becoming darker. Don't know why this happened, it seems like everyone was happy with the plots as they were going. I agree that the stabilizer in Melinda's life was her relationship with Jim. From her reaction, going into another body was the WRONG and dangerous thing to do. Of course, I don't care too much for change when I like something.
What is next, Melinda on EHarmony trying to explain her "gift" to potential mates??

November 15 2008 at 3:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Barbara's comment
Fran

Hi I agree with you I Love this show I have been watching
from the beining and one fan it right you had to kill her first firend why? She was so good and I Like her new freind too wih new son but to Kill Jim no way bring him back the way he was give her Melinda bad dream and she having a baby too make it right. Let them be happy she Love Jim they work togather so good.

November 18 2008 at 11:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
nanajo246

NO! NO! NO! This will never do! Who wrote this! A 4th grader? Dancing at a funeral? NO, ain't gonna happen. Having fun at a funeral? I doubt it. Haven't the writers lost a loved one? The EMTs could not revive the person because of his injuries and yet Jim's spirit magically brought him back to life. I don't think so! I know its supposed to be Sci-Fi, but this is Sci-Fi STUPID. The only way to bring this program back is for Jim to wake up from his dream after his near-death experience. I know that the writers want Jim to go on to help Mel, but please change it NOW!!!!

November 15 2008 at 10:47 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply