December 20, 2014

Dexter: Easy As Pie

by Debra McDuffee, posted Nov 9th 2008 11:29PM
Dexter
(S03E07)
A lot of significant events happened in tonight's episode of Dexter. What to make of the title, "Easy As Pie?" I think it refers to Dexter being able to make decisions. All his life, he's lived by Harry's code. Now, as we see him breaking it, or deciding whether or not he should break it, we see things being easier for Dexter.

Far be it from me to reveal anything before the jump, like the fact that Rita is pregnant or that Dexter is a serial killer (whoops -- did I just give something away?). Join me after the break to analyze tonight's plot points.

Dexter finally kills Camilla, after struggling with the decision. After all, she didn't fit his code, and as she said, he didn't want to be like his brother, the Ice Truck Killer. But when he looked at the situation as a consenting adult who makes his own decisions, it was easy for him to end Camilla's life out of mercy. And she was so grateful: "You finally brought me the perfect pie."

Another easy decision for Dexter was deciding not to kill Ellen Wolf. He was able to see clearly that she was only a defense attorney doing her job. Incidentally, it made Dexter a good friend, something that really comes easily to him, much to his surprise.

What's so interesting is that as we see Dexter breaking Harry's code more and more, we see him making his own decisions. He's not stuck with the rigid rules Harry set for him, and Dexter is becoming more human, more normal. Did Harry make Dexter more of a social deviant then he needed to be? What always strikes me about the voiceovers is that Dexter thinks he's so deviant, but he's really got the same insecurities as everyone else.

A few things I'm thinking about:
  • At the end, when Dexter says, "All the lives I've taken have been for mercy; I never understood that until now," does he mean mercy on the future victims whose lives he saved? That was a little confusing for me.
  • I thought it was weird that Dexter commented on how tan Quinn is, but is it possibly because he spends all his time up in trees, watching the victims' houses? Is Quinn the skinner? I wouldn't have bet on it, but that was an interesting clue or red herring.
  • I'm happy for Batista that he's got a honey. So, is she the next Skinner victim, or what?
  • What's with Yuki? She never gave the important details to Deb that would help her make an informed decision on whether or not to help IA get Quinn. How can Yuki expect Deb to have helped, not knowing the details?
  • Miguel really is proving to be a good friend to Dexter, and he admits that Dexter was right about Ellen. I still can't trust Miguel all the way, though, knowing that he knows Dexter's secrets, and that he is so hostile with Syl. Something is going on; the dude is angry.
  • At first, when Deb tells Anton to leave, it was a strange and tense scene, and I expected more of a tender moment. I did end up getting that moment when Anton says he'll be bait for her because he knows how important it is for her to catch the killer. Oh, and the kissing.
Some of my favorite quotes:
  • "Marriage, children. You never expect it to end in tragedy. Unless you're me." -- Dexter
  • "Do I see sheets of plastic in your future?" -- Dexter's voiceover to Ellen, as she's being completely bitchy surrounding the Albert Chung surrender.
  • "How much caffeine have you had?" -- Batista
    "A metric fuck ton." -- Deb
    "Well you should stop. It's giving you Turette's." -- Batista
  • After Miguel and Dexter "make up," Dexter says, "We're not gonna man hug, are we?"

Lauren

naw, he says that all his victims have BEGGED for mercy, and he never understood really what mercy was until now.

November 11 2008 at 7:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bruce

Well, looks like I was right about who the skinner is, sort of - it's one or both of those two tree trimmers. I figured the main skinner was the one with the knife, who wiped it off and creepily put it away as Deb came up to question him (after telling him to come down from the tree). But how could he be the skinner and the other guy not be involved?

Either Dexter or Deb will ultimately kill the tree-trimmer skinner, Deb in self-defense or in defense of Anton (likely the latter)... Dexter for fun.

November 11 2008 at 12:29 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dtpollitt

You spelt Tourette's wrong.

November 10 2008 at 10:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ben woocher

My favorite line of the night (apology for paraphrasing):

While the guys are doing dishes

RITA: "We should put rubber gloves on our registery for Dexter."

DEXTER: "We can do that?"

Was I the only one who found the subtlety in that line?

November 10 2008 at 5:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joyce N.

Smits almost stabbed a stand-in on the set by mixing up a real knife with a prop. Uh, oh!

November 10 2008 at 3:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
C C

Wonderful episode. I've seen other shows deal with "death with dignity", but nothing came close to last night. Beautiful...and sweet. Yep, he came up with perfect pie all right.

November 10 2008 at 1:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
cdawg

Oh and I think this was the best episode yet this season.

I'm so worried that Miguel is seriously going to get in a fight with Dexter that leaves them separated for good, and if that happens, Dex will have to kill him, or else risk that someone knows "what" he is.

November 10 2008 at 1:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
cdawg

ok yes, ROBERTSON you are a complete ass. Read a friggin spoiler protocol please.

But I think it's pretty obvious that Deb would revisit the tree trimmers that she's already questioned.

November 10 2008 at 1:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Robertson

I will break the fun: Jerry Zatarain, the guy who played Mario (the tree trimmer) in "The Lion Sleeps Tonight", is listed at IMDB in cast for episodes #8 and #9. Also, Miguel will stab him in the chest in one of those episodes.

Cheers!

November 10 2008 at 11:01 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to Robertson's comment
Joey Geraci

You mother fucker! You better be pulling this out of your ass!

November 10 2008 at 11:35 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joey Geraci

Just joking (half joking, anyway). Spoilers are serious business!

November 10 2008 at 11:38 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Key Rick

Anton is, of course, the Skinner. That Deb really knows how to pick them.

November 10 2008 at 10:02 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Key Rick's comment
GL

She just wants someone like Dex. How sweet.

November 10 2008 at 10:21 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply