October 1, 2014

NBC really, really believes in Chuck - in 3-D

by Allison Waldman, posted Nov 10th 2008 3:26PM
Chuck smileHere at TV Squad, we often bemoan the quick cancellation of a show that deserves a chance to evolve. We've chronicled the demise of a fan favorite like Moonlight, and empathized with our readers. There have been times when we've agreed that networks spend so much time and talent developing a show that it seems a down-right shame when the plug is pulled after a half-dozen episodes.

So, knowing all that, we have to acknowledge when a network does something right. NBC is bending over backwards to see to it that Chuck becomes a ratings hit, to go along with its already established and growing fan base. Creator Josh Schwartz expressed his thanks to NBC for the post- Super Bowl Chuck episode. The Super Bowl is Sunday, February 1.

"They were doing this big promotion inside of the Super Bowl and handing out 150 million 3-D glasses, so we are the beneficiaries of that. ...Chuck seemed like the best fit for that type of thing."

That 3-D episode will guest star Dominic Monaghan. Like Charlie, his Lost character, Dominic will be playing a British rock 'n' roller. Be prepared to see the hobbit in tight leather pants -- in 3-D. He turns up in Buy More, and according to Schwartz, "This is a very, very different kind of character. He's a lunatic in the best sense of the word."

I agree with Schwartz about NBC's faith in the show, but I don't think Monday is the right spot for the show. There's too much good TV on Monday, if you ask me. Even if Nielsen is counting DVRs and networks are parsing success based on demographics that are engaged, Chuck shouldn't be struggling so hard in the ratings to keep pace with CBS, ABC and Fox (they were helped by the World Series). So, maybe the post-Super Bowl exposure will boost the viewership. That's what I'm hoping for Chuck.

leah

Dude you deleted my other post. Why?! Because I was correcting you?

November 12 2008 at 10:52 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bruce

Do they have to put Chuck on opposite T:TSCC, another show that a nerd like myself really likes? I love both shows, but I watched TSCC tonight and watched Chuck later.

November 11 2008 at 12:24 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jimmy

Does this mean the already announced 1 hr post-super bowl episode of The Office has been cancelled?

November 10 2008 at 9:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Jimmy's comment
Julio

I don't think so, the special "Chuck" episode is for the Monday following the Super Bowl.

November 11 2008 at 4:23 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
StillBash

Excuse me, maybe it's because I'm german but what does "They were doing this big promotion inside of the Super Bowl and handing out 150 million 3-D glasses?"

That's past tense. And what does "The Super Bowl" mean? I thought that was the game itself. How could they have been doing that when the event lies in the future? And shouldn't you all be having your 3D glasses already? Is that past tense simply a reference to the "Alias" episode that is also mentioned in that interview?

And shouldn't all this have bothered everybody and anybody who read the interview on http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=18695 in the first place?

November 10 2008 at 7:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
GL

I love Chuck and football, but I am fairly certain I will not be watching that episode when it airs.

November 10 2008 at 6:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
leah

Chuck is definitely a good show for the post superbowl slot. I know I'll stick around. Unlike last year and Fox's stupid programming of house, a hit already, instead of a show that could have used the boost in ratings.

November 10 2008 at 5:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply