August 23, 2014

Wow, these are awesome nominees for the People's Choice Awards!

by Bob Sassone, posted Nov 10th 2008 2:54PM
People's Choice AwardsSometimes it's hard to denote sarcasm in a post headline, but please note: sarcasm!

The People's Choice Award nominees have been announced, and the list is the very definition of unexciting. The nominees for Best Drama are Grey's Anatomy, CSI, and House. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzz. No Mad Men, Dexter, or Lost? The nominees for Favorite Comedy are Two and a Half Men, Samantha Who?, and Ugly Betty. No 30 Rock? No Office? Sally Field and Mariska Hargitay are up for Favorite Female TV Star (really?). In the Favorite Game Show category, Jeopardy! is up against Deal Or No Deal and Are You Smarter Than A Fifth Grader and I know it's not going to win.

Most confusing category? Favorite Competition Reality Show. For some reason, Extreme Makeover is up against Survivor and Dancing with the Stars. Do families battle on obstacle courses on Extreme Makeover to see whose house is redone? If it's a combined category, that doesn't seem right either.

There's a category called Favorite Animated Comedy. How many animated dramas are there? I think just Favorite Animated Show would be sufficient.

Oh, and Valentine is nominated in the Best New Comedy category. Don't worry, no one else has seen it either.

The show airs January 9 at 9pm on CBS.

Tracey

Bob, Bob, Bob. Have you bothered to watch an episode of SVU lately? Mariska was nommed for an Emmy (again) this year, and she's had consistently stellar performances (throughout a show in its 10th season, just btw. That's plenty of time for the novelty to have worn off, and SVU is still one of NBC highest rated shows in key demos). I'm such a fan of hers, not just because she's a terrific actress, but because of all the work she does with victims of sexual assault. She was affected by the role she played, and she did something about it. I love that, and she definitely deserves to be on a people's choice list. So, yeah, really - Favorite Female TV star, Bob. I think she's an excellent choice.

November 10 2008 at 9:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
YouFaceTheTick

People's Choice = confirmation of just how stupid Americans are

November 10 2008 at 9:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
James

I'm sure I read somewhere that the main criteria for being nominated is that you agree to show up to accept the award, and they tell the winners ahead of time that they've won. All you have to do is look who's in the audience at the begining of the show and you know who the winners are. The worse of the awards shows by far.

November 10 2008 at 7:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MERVE-THE-PERVE

I wouldn't be surprised if Nielsen is the one running these awards and the Nielsen family retards are the only ones allowed to vote. The Nielsen families this year have done a great job in showing what great taste they have. So I can only guess they are the same ones making these stupid nominations. I've never seen a ballot for these awards anywhere. I sure hope the big networks have figured out that the Nielsen families this year are more stupid than usual before cancelling a lot of good shows later this year.

November 10 2008 at 6:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
JJ Forde

Terrible selection, but I must say I stumbled on to the repeats of Valentine and its actually a decent show.

November 10 2008 at 5:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
John Stewart

Bob, it seems like almost all of your articles on TV Squad weigh in heavily on your own personal opinion, while other bloggers on the site only occasionally add-in their personal feelings.

Do you think you could maybe just report the news, instead of mesh it together with your own views? If you feel the need to be - *blargh* this is my opinion and everyone must read it - maybe you should just keep a LiveJournal or something for all of your TV related rants.

Why not just try being a little more professional, and just report the news without your personal commentary.

November 10 2008 at 4:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
3 replies to John Stewart's comment
Anita

Ditto, Brian. In truth, I've never felt People's Choice were indicators of quality and have always wondered who actually did the nominations.

November 10 2008 at 4:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
h8rain

Wow, Knight Rider is listed under Favorite New Drama.

EVERYONE should vote for Knight Rider just to mess with NBC :P (Does anyone watch it? I have never seen it, but I heard it awful.)

November 10 2008 at 3:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
h8rain

"The show airs January 9 at 9pm on CBS."

Anyone else notice that the majority of the nominees are CBS shows? Coincidence? I think not.

November 10 2008 at 3:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Courtney

It really wasn't an impressive list. The only thing I was happy to see on there was Wall-E. And what's with the under 35 list? I think anyone who's NOT on that list should be offended. It's so long!

November 10 2008 at 3:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply