October 21, 2014

Canadians: where to find your favorite US shows online

by Isabelle Carreau, posted Nov 11th 2008 11:47AM
Hulu
One of the most frustrating things of blogging about US TV series is the fact that I can't watch episodes or most of the webisodes on the official network sites because I live in Canada. I can't even have access to content on Hulu and the like because of International Internet laws (or lack thereof) and distribution rights issues. I don't know all the legalities behind this but I find it weird that on my basic cable set up I have access to US-based channels for all major networks (except The CW) and yet, I can't access the full content of US-based network websites.

Since I've started blogging here on TV Squad, I've read many comments from international readers saying that they can't watch episodes or videos we embedded in our posts. It's irritating to follow a link to a video and see "This episode is currently only available to viewers living in the United States." Therefore, I researched the web to find websites where Canadians could watch US TV series online and in all legality (of course, people in the US can watch episodes online at AOL TV, Hulu, etc.).

Here is a list of "Canadians welcomed" websites that stream US TV shows. You can thank me later.

watch.ctv.ca (Click on "Video Library")
  • Desperate Housewives
  • ER
  • Fringe
  • Gossip Girl
  • Greek
  • Grey's Anatomy
  • Mad Men
  • Private Practice
  • Star Wars: The Clone Wars
  • The Colbert Report
  • The Daily Show
  • Two and a Half Men
  • TMZ

watch.thecomedynetwork.ca (Click on "Video Library")
  • American Body Shop

• Prison Break
  • Saturday Night Live
  • The Office

citytv.com

Other links of interest:

Notes:
  • This list was accurate as of November 10, 2008, at 7 p.m. EST. It is possible the shows have been added or removed on each website.
  • If you know of other legal sites where Canadians can watch full episodes of US TV series, feel free to comment below. I'll update the list once I confirmed the links work.

Eric

I have that problem to but in reverse. I was a cable subscriber which gave me access to the CBC but I cut the cord. However I got hooked on Coronation St. and Heartland and I cannot watch online for that very reason. "Only available to those living in Canada"

November 12 2008 at 8:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joe

I've created a comprehensive list to all TV shows currently available to Canadians, with links to each show at http://www.silversow.com. Check it out!

November 12 2008 at 7:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dan German

Hulu sucks. Content owners need to think globally. Their IP blocking just encourages more bit torrent action and keep eyeballs (far more than the 300 million in the USA) off their own sites.

November 12 2008 at 6:58 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
DMD

Most excellent Isabelle... Thank You Eh!!

November 11 2008 at 9:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Riley Freeman

surfthechannel.com

i dont think its legal but it works. and it doesnt make any sense that i can watch it on american networks but not on their website.

November 11 2008 at 7:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kaltensmom

Do you know of a way for Americans to watch BBC shows on-line? The BBC America line up has been crap the last few years, with the SciFi Channel showing Dr. Who a whole series ahead of BBC America. Would love to watch current BBC shows before waiting the requisite 5 years to never to watch them on American TV, but "Not available in my region".

November 11 2008 at 7:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Paul

Having used the American network websites (thanks AnchorFree!) and the ones in the CTV GlobeMedia family (CTV, Comedy Network, TSN), I have to say that the set-up for the CTV-owned networks is the best I've seen and used.

The only negative is the full-screen video that's a bit too small for my taste, but for catching old Daily Show interviews or watching CFL highlights, their set-up can't be beat. It's also the simplest to use.

Global and CityTV, meanwhile, have some work to do.

November 11 2008 at 6:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
knight

Why thank you later? I'm definitely thanking you right now!

November 11 2008 at 4:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
james

just so I could feel your pain. I clicked on http://watch.ctv.ca/ and it said that it was unavailable in my region. Woohoo!

November 11 2008 at 4:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Laura

I'd like to try AnchorFree...but for some reason when I download it, it won't do anything (connect)...

November 11 2008 at 3:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Laura's comment
fullbug

Laura, after downloading it, do you run the program? When it starts it should open up a page on whatever browser you are using....

November 11 2008 at 7:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply