October 25, 2014

Heroes: Villains

by Jason Hughes, posted Nov 11th 2008 12:50AM
Heroes: Villains
(S03E08)
Maybe they should have done this one a little earlier in the season. There was only one scene set in the present era, but it was a good one. The rest of the episode was "One Year Ago," weaving and interlacing with the events we did see during the show's first season, showing us what a lot of the characters we either didn't know or didn't follow then were up to, like Ma and Pa Petrelli, Linderman, Gabriel, Elle and even Claire's mother and uncle.

I remember that the second season was supposed to explore the elder generation, revealing more of their connections to one another and their motivations. We were going to learn more about The Company and what they were up to in regards to Peter and the rest of our main cast. It looks like those aborted promises are finally coming to fruition. It's unfortunate that the last season and so much of the start of this season was so lackluster, as things are really coming together nicely. And we're gaining sympathy for almost every member of the cast by learning more about them.

The kinder, gentler Sylar was more fully explored in this "One Year Ago" episode. I'm still not 100% on board with the idea of this guy who was such a murdering monster being made sympathetic to the point that we could actually not only feel sorry for his struggles, but like him and root for him to do better. Tonight, we met him shortly after his first kill, and he's consumed with remorse and attempts suicide. This is a far cry from the Sylar of Season One.

I guess it makes him akin to a serial murderer or other type of criminal who has compulsions they're not able to fight off. Even if you feel bad for those people, they're dangerous and still monsters. Their urges make it so. But now, if Heroes lore is to be believed, the only really villainous monster left is Arthur Petrelli. We got to see the more "evil" HRG this time around, working with Elle and see that these two were the orchestrators of turning Gabriel into the serial killer we first met.

So, HRG was an evil bastard, but now we kind of like him. Elle was this psycho villain, but she had daddy issues and now we kind of like her. Sylar was the boogeyman we all read about, slaughtering god knows how many people, but now we kind of like him. Hell, Flint is one of the Level 5 escapees we're supposed to be terrified of, but now we know that not only is he Meredith's brother, but he may be mentally deficient.

Angela Petrelli was a cold-hearted bitch who seemed willing to do anything to push forth her mysterious agenda, but now we kind of like her. And we learned that Arthur was controlling her mind the whole time. So he must have picked up this ability from Papa Parkman without taking his ability away or killing him. I wonder if this means he just has a greater level of control over the same ability his sons have.

And how about that last scene. Poor Usutu. What is it about future painters? Did they know they were getting rid of Jeph Loeb so eliminated any more need for real artist Tim Sale to stay involved with the show? Just like I liked Isaac, I liked Usutu and he didn't deserve to have his head lopped off and tossed across the desert like that. Damn that Arthur Petrelli. What the hell is going to happen to Hiro now?

So let's see. There was no Parkman, Daphne, Tracy, Claire (for the most part) or Mohinder (for the most part) and I didn't really miss them. It's weird because I still like Matt as a character, even though he's been mostly useless this season, but it shows that this show could used with some streamlining of characters and storylines. You don't have to tell all your stories at the same time. Pace yourselves, guys.

Do you think Heroes is getting back on track?
Yes, this episode was great!306 (35.5%)
It's starting to fix itself.367 (42.6%)
No, it's completely derailed.86 (10.0%)
I don't think it can even see the track anymore.103 (11.9%)

Jimmy

Hiro is the franchise. Kill him, and kill the show.

November 13 2008 at 10:40 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Jimmy's comment
Cody

Exactly right. Additionally, now that Arthur took Hiro's power, we know for a fact that there is a way to get your powers back from Arthur. I was ready to believe Peter could lose his powers for good, but Hiro can't. Any time something bad happens to Hiro it is only temporary.

November 13 2008 at 11:59 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Phish

the inconsistencies in the episode pale in comparison to the myriad of time-travel paradoxes that come up.
any show that uses time travel so frivolously is doomed from the get-go.
now that hiro knows everything, why didnt he immdly go back in time and kill arthur petrelli. some might say he didnt have time as arthur showed up.
ok fine, that is a valid concern, but lets face it, hiro will not be killed, at some point he will be free, but you think he'll jump back and kill arthur then? will he then jump back and fix sylar? will he jump back and kill hitler? will he jump back and save jesus?

noooooooooooooooooo ofcourse not, that would just be plain idiotic!

November 13 2008 at 2:32 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
alexmonty

I've read in several places about the idea that future Sylar has his son with Elle based in what we saw in the "Villains" episode.

After we know how Elle tricked Gabriel (Sylar) in the mentioned episode, and recently how Sylar killed beloved Elle's father and tried to killed her in order to steal her powers (He didn't accomplish it since she had an electric malfunction) leaving her with excruciating pain. How come are they going to just leave that behind and start a family??, I know the writers are specialist in stretching the facts in order to fit the plot but this would be too much, even for them.

November 12 2008 at 6:39 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to alexmonty's comment
Ashley Boyd

"Ahh foreplay"

(different pyschopath, same object of affection)

(and if you're really confused, its a Veronica Mars reference)

November 13 2008 at 3:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Picviewer

Hopefully Hiro goes headless next episode and ends that whiny character storyline.
Gotta love it too, the precog's can see people all around and events to outwit a time-manipulator but doesn't see himself getting ganked by a old man with powers. Great writing!

Jan 21st can't come fast enough when a real series returns.

November 12 2008 at 1:31 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joe

To me this episode was really great and was darker then normal. I am not a big fan of Arthur but now I think He is cool. Linderman in the episode was great too. I really hope some how He survived the shooting because He was good on the show.

I was happy no claire I really want her dead just like Mohinder.

Also Sylar and Elle make a cute couple. I wonder if Elle is the mother of future Sylar's kid?

One thing I was saddened not to see was any thing with Adam. I still think He has some thing to do with the show.

I also want him some how to come to life. I might even get that seeing as not every really dies just some people.

November 11 2008 at 2:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to Joe's comment
Joe

Also a great spinoff of Heroes would be Villains.

To me the bad guy stuff would be way more cool then the goodie goodie stuff.

November 11 2008 at 2:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
LC

"I really hope some how He survived the shooting because He was good on the show."

He wasn't shot. D.L. phased his hand through his head and left a giant gaping hole in its place. Now this is heroes and anything can happen, but IMO he is staying dead.

November 12 2008 at 5:34 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
superrrguy

One more thing. I thought precons see the future not the past.

One of the holes could have been slightly avoided by not using the "a year ago" text intro. It was obviously some point of time in the past.

November 11 2008 at 11:40 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to superrrguy's comment
LC

Usutu may be a precog, but the ability to experience the past comes from that mystery gunk he mixes up in the bowl.

November 12 2008 at 5:29 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mike Hoffpauir

My what a coincendence the train wreck Claire saves someone was caused by mommy... Im sorry though if were talking encosistencys how the hell does Elle go from 'oh he had a soul' to deep fryin a guy for no reason! Bein bitchy is one thing but that was just plain evil. Damn I do love seein miss Bell though. She so should be at the FBI academy instead of here ;)

November 11 2008 at 11:15 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Mike Hoffpauir's comment
Dorv

Or on Lost.

But, I'm just glad she's on TV.

November 11 2008 at 3:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
R_man_5K

I thought the show was good. I am intrested to see where it is going.

Zachary Quinto is a GREAT actor.

November 11 2008 at 11:00 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
LRM

It's too bad that Heroes is still living off the only decent season they've had so far (Season 1) because now the writers are taking a crap all over that just to try to make this season decent, e.g. Sylar getting Claire's power, this Hiro dream episode.

Oh well, at least I enjoyed this episode.

November 11 2008 at 10:58 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply