September 30, 2014

More schedule shuffling at ABC

by Isabelle Carreau, posted Nov 11th 2008 12:24PM
ABC logoA few days ago, ABC announced that Lost would premiere on January 21 from 8 to 11 p.m. and that it would take the Wednesday at 9 p.m. timeslot starting the following week. That news left the Private Practice fans wondering what would happen to their show come January 28 because the Wednesday at 9 p.m. timeslot has been PP's for over a year.

Answers have arrived and they'll affect not only the Private Practice fans but also Life on Mars's viewers.

According to The Hollywood Reporter (THR), ABC plans to move Practice on Thursdays at 10 p.m. and Life on Mars on Wednesdays at 10 p.m. The network has yet to announce if this will be a trial or be permanent.

As the THR reporter mentions, it makes sense to have Practice air after Grey's Anatomy on Thursdays since both are medical shows from creator Shonda Rhimes and because Practice is Grey's spin off. The network is also planning to have a multi-episode crossover for Grey's and Practice during February sweeps. Therefore, the scheduling change could help viewers keep up with the storyline as shows will air back to back instead of two different nights.

I haven't watched Life on Mars since it premiered (I can't watch everything!) but, based on what I know of the show, moving it after Lost may be a good move, too, as both shows share some sci fi elements.

If ABC wants to make this schedule change work, its marketing department will need to come up with original ways to advertise their show pairings: Sci Fi Wednesdays, Medical Thursdays, etc. Or they should at least advertise their 10 p.m. shows during the 9 p.m. ones. For example, they could have an advertisement during Grey's asking fans if they know what Addison Montgomery (a character who used to be on Grey's) is up to and urging fans to stay tune after Grey's Anatomy to get their Addison fix. Yeah, I know, I'm lame at marketing but you get my drift about the network having to properly advertise this scheduling change?

I can hear some of you wondering what will happen of Dirty Sexy Money come January since the show is currently airing in that Wednesday at 10 p.m. timeslot that will be given to Life on Mars. ABC has yet to announce what it'll do with DSM but, in case you didn't know, the network only ordered 13 episodes of DSM so far this season. Episode 2.10 is set to air on December 17. The three remaining episodes could air during the holidays or the first three weeks of January, meaning that Dirty Sexy Money could be off the schedule starting January 28, when Life on Mars would take over the timeslot. Then again, maybe ABC will order more DSM scripts and move the show to the Monday at 10 p.m. timeslot since Boston Legal is ending in December.

Update: You can take a look at ABC's new winter schedule HERE. TheFutonCritic.com confirms the new timeslots for Private Practice and Life on Mars, while letting us know that Scrubs will take the 8 p.m. timeslot on Wednesdays.

Justin

I don't like the timeslot for Lost because it's also the timeslot for Life, which makes me fear for the show.

Damn you, ABC!

November 13 2008 at 8:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Larry

So let me get this straigh...not only is According to Jim not cancelled, it gets a whole hour a week? Does Jim Belushi have incriminating photos of some ABC executive or something?

Good to see LOST back on Wednesday nights.

November 12 2008 at 11:33 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Howey

I love Pushing Daisies but why is the dialogue so fast? It's hard to keep up. DSM is a guilty pleasure and I'd love to see it stay. The suggestion to pair it with Desperate Housewifes is great!

Scrubs and According to Jim (IMO) are old news and should have been left to die on the vine.

November 12 2008 at 9:08 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Frank

Thanks ABC for giving me exactly ONE show (Scrubs) I need to watch on your network.

Once college football season is over, I will only need to tune into your network for 1 hour each week.

November 11 2008 at 2:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
iannel

so stupid ABC will keep according to jim, but will kill pushing daisies? no wonder this country is in sooo much trouble. network execs can't even provide us with decent shows. they choose to instead give us according to jim that should've been killed the first 2 episodes.

November 11 2008 at 2:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dennis phillips

Lets hear it for ...WTF WENDNESDAY!

November 11 2008 at 2:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Linda

I can't believe you're not watching Life on Mars. Most entertaining show on television. Amazing.

November 11 2008 at 1:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Linda's comment
Joey Geraci

It's just too weird. It really belongs on cable, where they could more fully explore the weird concepts and not have to dumb down the writing.

November 11 2008 at 1:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
gwangi

According to The Futon Critic, unfortunately, Scrubs will take up the hour before Lost. Hope it isn't true.

November 11 2008 at 1:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to gwangi's comment
Isabelle Carreau

Thanks for the tip. I added an update at the bottom of my post with the link. I'm bummed to see Pushing Daisies off the schedule. It would have been a great night on ABC if they kept the show there and put Scrubs before Samantha Who? or with According to Jim (only airing 30 minutes of each comedy instead of an hour).

November 11 2008 at 1:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Andy Whitfield

Ugh. Maybe I should just accept that the TV I enjoy is not ever going to be popular, so I should just stop trying. R.I.P. Pushing Daisies - you were too good for this world.

November 11 2008 at 1:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kim

I think the scheduling changes are right on the money.

Those that watch Lost are more likely to tune in to Life on Mars because of their similarities - over-arching themes/mysteries, paranormal/sci-fi elements, and vulnerable, interesting characters. If Pushing Daisies remains in the Wednesday 8pm slot, Wednesday would become my favorite viewing night hands down.

Fans of Grey's Anatomy are also more likely to tune in to Private Practice for obvious reasons. I do watch Grey's Anatomy but I don't watch Private Practice. Still, I think the two shows compliment each other.

I personally think that DSM would pair excellently with Desperate Housewives. Same type of show - soapy but dark and funny.

November 11 2008 at 12:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Kim's comment
Isabelle Carreau

As far as I know, Pushing Daisies is staying put in the 8 p.m. time-slot. However, if ABC doesn't order more episodes, the series will have aired all its season 2 episodes before the end of January, meaning that Wednesdays wouldn't be "ABC Fantasy".

November 11 2008 at 12:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply