July 28, 2014

What's the best new show of the season?

by Bob Sassone, posted Nov 11th 2008 2:39PM
PrivilegedA lot of people would say FOX's Fringe. A lot of people would say CBS's The Mentalist (it's also the #1 new show ratings-wise). Some might even say CBS's Worst Week, though a lot of people wouldn't. It's actually been kind of a blah year for new shows.

The Boston Herald, a newspaper I used to write for many TV seasons ago, says one of the best new shows is actually on The CW, and it's Privileged. Amy Amatangelo says that Privileged is "that rare show...that gets better every week." She's even really specific when comparing it to other shows. If you like Brothers & Sisters you'll like parts of the show, and if you're a fan of How I Met Your Mother, you'll like other parts of it (the show is about a Yale grad who is hired by a cosmetics millionaire to tutor her kids). She compares it to Gossip Girl too.

So this go me thinking: what do you think is the best new show of the year? I haven't seen Privileged yet, so I'd probably have to go with either The Mentalist or Fringe. Poll is after the jump.

What's the best new show?
Privileged196 (14.2%)
Fringe462 (33.5%)
The Mentalist275 (19.9%)
Worst Week49 (3.5%)
My Own Worst Enemy59 (4.3%)
Gary Unmarried38 (2.8%)
9021055 (4.0%)
Eleventh Hour26 (1.9%)
Other (say in comments)221 (16.0%)

Kristen

Sanctuary

November 13 2008 at 4:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sean Prizzle

I have to say that I need to take a second look at Life on Mars based on the votes here.

As I stand (or sit) right now the two shows that are shamefully missing are True Blood and the Sons of Anarchy. It's such a relief to watch a show that is NOT another cop show (with the exception of the shield which is going out as exciting as when it came in).

I also wanted to nominate Little Britian USA (HBO) as the funniest new show. I went to enter it on the list but "Computa Says No". Fans of the show will get what I'm saying. Bitay!

November 12 2008 at 5:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
vegb

"True Blood" and "Life on Mars"--both conspicuously absent from the offered choices!

November 12 2008 at 4:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lauren

Hello, Life on Mars

November 12 2008 at 1:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
cdawg

True Blood
Life on Mars
Privileged - so incredibly witty, but please replace the annoying Sage actress~!

November 12 2008 at 10:15 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
John Howard

This list sucks. I can't decide between Sons of Anarchy and True Blood, but none of the shows on the list is anywhere near as good as either of those. Life On Mars is better than everything on the list as well. And Fringe really sucks. If you asked about the most disappointing new show, that would probably get my vote.

November 12 2008 at 8:57 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Denise

I can hardly wait each week for Life On Mars!

November 12 2008 at 7:37 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Alessandro

Best new show is True Blood, actually the only watchable news show of the season.
Though is hard not to agree with Amy Amatangelo, this time she's wrong. EhEh.

redman

November 12 2008 at 3:24 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Morjana Coffman

I'm enjoying The Mentalist, but I'd also like to give a shout out to SciFi Channel's 'Sanctuary.'

November 12 2008 at 2:48 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply