September 20, 2014

After dropping f-bomb, Joe Scarborough gets a seven-second delay - VIDEO

by Joel Keller, posted Nov 12th 2008 10:41AM
Joe ScarboroughThe other day, Bob mentioned the f-bomb Joe Scarborough accidentally dropped during an edition of Morning Joe on MSNBC (video after the jump). Oops! Apparently, Scarborough didn't even realize he dropped the word -- he thought he said "eff you" instead of the full phrase -- and spent the rest of the show alternately apologizing and having his balls busted by Mika Brzezinski and his guests. Since it was on cable, which is not subject to FCC content regulation, It seemed like the story was closed.

But in yet another "closing the barn door" move, MSNBC has decided to put a seven-second delay on the show, mainly in response to the f-bomb. And guess who was instrumental in influencing that decision? The fun folks at the Parents' Television Council, that's who! They wrote a note to NBCU chief executive Jeff Zucker calling for the delay, and voilà! Delay instituted. The next time I need to collect a check, I should ask the PTC to make the call for me. They seem to get pretty quick results.

[via Mediabistro]

deana

hahaha. the fbomb. hahaha

December 19 2008 at 5:47 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
tarby

why would the PTC be concerned about this, what kid watches this anyways?

November 13 2008 at 11:46 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
J.S.P.

h8rain - I said exactly the same thing when i heard this... what 8 year olds are sitting at home watching MSNBC? Even if their parents have it on, believe me, that kid is not going to be repeating what Joe Scarborough says.

November 13 2008 at 10:37 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Paul

I've had more kids say "fuck you" than I've ever heard on TV...give me a break, what are we all brain dead.

November 13 2008 at 3:52 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Kristin Kmiecik

oops! lol

November 13 2008 at 3:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brady

Why does the Parents' Television Council care about a news program on MSNBC? Really how many kids watch MSNBC?
You would think they could put their energy into a much more productive cause. I would have NEVER heard Joe Scarborough using the BIG scary F-word!

November 13 2008 at 9:43 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rocketboy_X

Good thing he didn't use the word Nappy, or he'd be out of a job.

November 13 2008 at 9:28 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bruce

PTC = annoying christian in his basement who generates tens of thousands of fake letters with fake names of people who are "upset" over things like this or a brief nipple flash. Total fraud. This, like Dr. Hahn leaving Grey's anatomy, is wholly due to religion. Now I have to get my news 7 seconds later because a "child" could have "heard" a word that jesus didn't like. FTC... for the children. Can never win against a FTC argument, unfortunately. Just have to suck it up and cave in.

November 13 2008 at 8:14 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
LeaF

God, these people are uptight. I'm not a big fan of Joe, but he made a mistake and he apologized. He was also quoting a guest's story of his first encounter with Rahm Emanuel who called him up, yelling "fuck you". I thought it was a great story, but Joe apparently couldn't let go and kept going back to it until he finally said it too. It was funny.

November 13 2008 at 4:11 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dan German

who fucking cares about language on tv? If conservative viewers have a problem with the language, they can change the channel.

November 12 2008 at 9:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply