December 17, 2014

Finally, Mad TV is getting the boot

by Brad Trechak, posted Nov 12th 2008 8:38PM
Mad TVAfter 14 years on the air, Fox has finally decided to pull the plug on Mad TV. I can't say I was an overwhelming fan but I did watch one or two of their early shows and got a chuckle out of it. The sudden revitalization of SNL's popularity was probably the final nail in that coffin (thank you, Tina Fey).

Let me eulogize for a moment. Others have tried to take on the Saturday Night Live juggernaut through the years and failed much more quickly. This show lasted 14 years against it. Pretty impressive, if you ask me. It also helped launch the careers of several comedians/actors, including Alex Borstein, Orlando Jones and Artie Lange.

While I don't think Mad TV was the worst show on television, it wasn't the best either. It amazes me that this show lasted 14 years on Fox while Firefly was canceled before the first season finished broadcasting.

Phil

Really too bad. Couldn't they have come up with another time slot like say during the week? How many times can we watch the same Seinfeld episode over and over on weekday nights at 11:00PM? You already have seen them at 7&7:30 on TBS and 7:30 on FOX. MAD TV RIP. You were better than the so called mold. You had better actors, better writers, better skits that went somewhere. Better than SNL! Who can possibly forget the Sopranos on PAX TV skit? The Stewart skits? (The tooth fairy--remember?)The more recent I-rack skit? Bobby Lee doing Kim Jong Il? Come on! You dumped Arrested Development. Now another sin from FOX besides that awful news channel. . .

November 13 2008 at 1:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Riley Freeman

the years where alex and debra and aries etc.. etc.. were there they were wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy better than snl. once they lost all those guys the show sucked

November 13 2008 at 12:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Robert

Since you only watched a couple of early episodes are you really in a position to make comments about this show that can be taken very seriously?

Like SNL, it had its ups and downs. Some years it was better than SNL and was a welcome alternative. Some years it was worse and I didn't watch as much. There was some good talent to come out the show and some great characters.

Too bad that it went down hill in the last couple of years -- it will be missed.

November 13 2008 at 11:33 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Galley

I haven't watched SNL since MADtv first aired. I always found it to be funnier. True, it did go downhill in season 13 with the revamp.

November 13 2008 at 9:47 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
CJ

That's unfortunate. We usually watch SNL for the opening clip and the first few clips and then switch to MAD TV until Weekend Update comes on and then switch back for the rest and Spike.

November 13 2008 at 9:34 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Judge

I still cant understand why SNL is still on the air.

MAD TV wasnt the greatest, but at least it tried. SNL on the other hand hasnt been funny since Eddy Murphy left.

November 13 2008 at 8:46 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Judge's comment
j0phus

really? There is nothing to be said for Chris Farley, Adam Sandler, or Will Farrell? What about Jimmy Fallon and Tina Fey?

They were/are all MEGA stars in that format.

November 13 2008 at 11:05 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Franklin

God why does every injustice in the TV world have to be connected to Firefly? Let. It. Go. Already.

November 13 2008 at 5:29 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
4 replies to Franklin's comment
Paul

I marginally liked MADtv back in 1995. Either it was because it was actually funny for a bit, or because I was in high school at the time and lacked proper intelligence.

Either way, I won't notice the difference, since I haven't watched it this decade.

November 13 2008 at 12:29 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Terry

Well I still like madtv to some of the stuff snl has on.... I have laughed alot watching it....I will miss madtv :(

November 13 2008 at 12:25 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rich

Years back, I thought MadTV was more risky and immensely more hilarious than newer SNL. Especially Stephnie Weir. She was a real find.

Also Nicole Parker is really talented.

And Keegan Michael Key's Obama is way better than SNL's.

But this season has been abysmal. Michael MacDonald is gone and the new Latino guy and Crista Flanagan flat out sucks.

I'll say that any time they made fun of Wizard of Oz, it was comic gold.

November 12 2008 at 11:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply