July 31, 2014

Fringe: In Which We Meet Mr. Jones

by Jane Boursaw, posted Nov 12th 2008 8:19AM
Fringe - In Which We Meet Mr. Jones

(S01E07) "Do you have any mints?" - Walter to Agent Broyles, who just told him to save his friend in the hospital

Tuesdays are a big night around our house, thanks to Fringe. My 14-year-old son and I wait patiently for it, passing the time by discussing possible explanations for The Observer, the cylinders, The Pattern, the Massive Dynamic connection, everything. If we had a watercooler in the house, we'd be around it for sure.

My thoughts on tonight's episode:

Agent Broyles didn't appear to be in on Jessica and Mitchell Loeb's plot -- whatever that may be. For a while, I was wondering if Broyles might be the inside man, but if he is, he's not in cahoots with these two. Mr. Jones suggested to Olivia that someone engineered their meeting, and then Jessica gave Olivia a list of numbers at the beginning of the episode. Their goal: To learn the answer that Mr. Jones also wanted to know: Little Hill. What's it all mean?

Peter certainly seems to know a lot about medicine. He knew about the water-borne parasite Walter mentioned, as well as how to save Mitchell's life when the disgusting man-made parasite started squeezing Mitchell's heart. But Peter didn't seem any too pleased to hear Walter say, "Excellent work, son. You may have found your true calling at last ... working with me."

The Pattern manifests itself in the DNA of the parasite, and Astrid thinks it might be a code -- the Caesar Shift, a letter-replacement code. All of this ties in to ZFT, which was on the file for one of John Scott's cases.

We learn that David Robert Jones is a British national, specializing in genetic weaponry that's connected to The Pattern. We learn that there are privately-funded cells in 83 recorded countries, and ZFT is among them. They track scientific progress and experiments, such as what happened on Flight 627.

Other points of interest:

• That mind-meld just never gets old, does it? If I was Peter, though, I sure as heck wouldn't be letting Walter hook me up to anybody. Guess he's been doing that for a while, though, like the car battery thing Peter mentioned. It's no wonder Peter has issues with his dad. That's child abuse!
  • I don't trust Lucas. There's something about him I don't like. I wonder if he'll be back, or if he was just a plot-movement thing to give more backstory to Olivia's emotional blockage. Plus, he told Olivia he had other means to get information about Mr. Jones, so I'm guessing we haven't seen the last of him.
  • I hate it when they talk in a different language without subtitles. What are we, mind readers?
  • Those German prisons sure are damp and dark, aren't they?
  • Walter worked on Jimmy Hoffa?! That's interesting!
  • At the end of the episode, Broyles is kind of a jerk for not giving Olivia the answers she wants -- because, he said, her curiosity and drive makes her an even better agent. What kind of crap is that?!
  • Did you see The Observer?! I did! I'll let you guys tell the world about it, though.

Fringe' Show & Cast Photos

FRINGE Walter (John Noble), Peter (Joshua Jackson), Olivia (Anna Torv) and Broyles (Lance Reddick) enter a governement warehouse to examine a mysterious cylinder found among the debris of a construction site explosion in the episode "The Arrival." Airs Tuesday, September 30, 2008.

Fox

FRINGE Peter (Joshua Jackson), Olivia (Anna Torv), Walter (John Noble) and Broyles (Lance Reddick) return to the lab to gather more information on a mysterious cylinder found among the debris of a construction site explosion in the episode "The Arrival." Airs Tuesday, September 30, 2008.

Fox

FRINGE Olivia (Anna Torv) chases a suspect through the woods in the episode "The Arrival." Airs Tuesday, September 30, 2008.

Fox

FRINGE Walter (John Noble, L) and Peter (Joshua Jackson, R) examine a mysterious cylinder found among the debris of a construction site explosion in the episode "The Arrival." Airs Tuesday, September 30, 2008.

Fox

FRINGE Olivia (Anna Torv) chases a suspect through the woods in the episode "The Arrival". Airs Tuesday, September 30, 2008.

Fox

NEW YORK - SEPTEMBER 13: Actress Jasika Nicole attends FOX's "Fringe" premiere during the 2008 New York Television Festival at New World Stage on September 13, 2008 in New York City. (Photo by Neilson Barnard/Getty Images) *** Local Caption *** Jasika Nicole

Getty Images

Executive Producers John Wirth, Josh Friedman and James Middleton arrive at The Paley Center and TV Guide

Jean Baptiste Lacroix/WireImage.com

Jesse Tyler Ferguson and Molly Stanton arrive at The Paley Center and TV Guide

Jean Baptiste Lacroix/WireImage.com

Jesse Tyler Ferguson arrives at The Paley Center and TV Guide

Jean Baptiste Lacroix/WireImage.com

Mark Valley arrives at The Paley Center and TV Guide

Jean Baptiste Lacroix/WireImage.com

Stefan Mueller

German prisons are actually much nicer than this (no, never been in one, just seen on TV). But you figured that, right? :)
They look even nicer than the american ones (again, TV). But maybe these "Wissenschaft" prisons look like this ("Wissenschaft" is german for "science"). Is that a prison just for scientists, or what? Probably somebody just needed a name and had a german-english dictionary at hand.

A bit sad there was no really really bad german in it. I remember one scene in an episode of Alias, setted in Germany, where there was "Bediener" written on a surveillance monitor, I couldn't figure out, what it was supposed to mean, but then I remembered, they wanted to break into the "server-room". You could translate the word "server" with "Bediener", but it would be very strange. On top of that, the computers called "server" are called "server" too in german, so there should have been "Server" written on that screen :)

November 14 2008 at 5:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
smikwily

I liked seeing "Godfather" appear on another show (The actor who played Loeb played Godfather on Generation Kill) and good to see him sticking around. He played a bit part on GK very well and I was pleasantly surprised to see him pop up on Fringe, but was expecting him to be gone before the end of the sow.

I had the Mario Brothers/Piranha Plant flash as well with the parasite, with a little bit of Little Shop of Horrors sprinkled on top :)

November 13 2008 at 12:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jboursaw

Thanks for the German translation - much appreciated!

I watched this episode twice and picked up a lot of stuff the second time around. As Gabi said, there's so much going on, it's hard to get everything the first time. Thank goodness I did, though, because my son text'd me from school to ask if I'd seen The Observer. Fringe is a hot topic for 14-year-old boys.

My son theorizes that "the gentleman" is The Observer, and that maybe he's the one who lives in Little Hill, wherever or whatever that might be. Any thoughts on that?

November 12 2008 at 8:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
james

I hate when shows translate conversations. Like "getchaos" said, nothing that the viewer couldn't figure out on their own. I also agree with Getchaos that the producers should hire people that speak their native tongue. That said I totally dug last nights episode. I liked the girl from the Frighteners being in the show, but that made her a Red Herring in my opinion.

November 12 2008 at 4:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
metz

Fringe = Alias? Nah, On fringe they haven't once captured a bad guy and locked them up, only to have a mission the following week where they "had" to bring the bad guy with them only to watch him escape when all the good guys leave the prisoner handcuffed to a pole in order to chase another bad guy.

On fringe they kill the bad guy then use some weird science to recover something from their brains.

I hope fringe doesn't go the alias route because Alias became incredibly frustrating to watch as every plot point only moved forward due to the stupidity of the good guys.

November 12 2008 at 1:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
John Stewart

I'm not sure where the show is going, but it's starting to feel a lot like Alias, in that it's trying to build up to something but I feel by the time it gets to that point I'll have already lost interest.

Olivia's romantic side-track in the episode felt really forced and didn't flow very well, as the scene before she was driven to keep her promise to the wife to save the husband who was dying - then in the next she's in this new guys's hotel room in an awkward romantic tension scene. I understand she had to stay in Germany overnight, but it just didn't work for me.

Maybe it's because I stuck with Alias for all five seasons, and I don't see Fringe as being that different. It's like the JJ Abrams mad lib, just switch around the characters names and organizations. Take away the fringe science part of the show and it pretty much is Alias.

November 12 2008 at 12:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
xnifex

did anyone else think the parasite was just one of those pirahna plants from super mario bros? that thing looked awesome!

November 12 2008 at 12:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to xnifex's comment
Loni

LOL! Yes!!!! That was the first thing my 17yr old son said when he saw it, and I agree.

November 12 2008 at 3:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
getchaos

....Whoops....after sending this, i saw a lot of bad english grammar....sorry ;-).... i will try harder next time....

November 12 2008 at 11:38 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
getchaos

Only the first german conversation between Lucas and the warden where interesting.

At first Lucas told the german prison warden:
Lucas: "There may be things, you can use (you want to have) and i would be ready to talk about them."
Warden: "With what i need, you can't help me."

And then after Olivia says "I would be willing to sign anything....." she continues in german:
"...for example, something that would prove, i was'nt here"

The rest wasn't that interesting....in the cell scene with the guards, the guard just tells Olivia that her time is up and she has to leave. She tells him, that she only needs 60 seconds and he answers:"No. You must go now. You have no time left"

Next scene the guard says: "You do no have permission to be here anymore. I will use force if you do not leave emediatly"
Olivia: "I'm almost ready"

Next scene
Guard:"I will no longer ask you for this. Your time is up now"

Next scene
Guards coming in: "Come with me or we will take you with us."

...so, except the conversation Lucas had with the warden, nothing the viewers could'nt figure out by themselves.
Again it was a bit of a pity that they did not use german actors for the german characters. As a german you recognise this emidiatly because they had the typical "english" german accent. Only the warden had a good accent but his lines were a bit unusual. His grammar was a bit bad. (Maybe like my english grammar ;-) )

Anywhay...there are only a few english spoken productions out there where they use german actors for german characters and sometimes it gets strange.
For example: In an episode of Scrubs they had a german patient but his german was very very bad. Elliot had a better german accent than the so called german patient ^^.

So i hope, i could help understanding the german lines ^^.

PS: From a german point, it was an episode with some cliches (dark, messy prison with angry soldiers, for example)....but it was nice to see the airport of Frankfurt.

November 12 2008 at 11:33 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jonathan Toomey

I loved the little "Alias" reference when Loeb told Broyles to turn to "page 47."

November 12 2008 at 10:55 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply