April 21, 2014

More evidence that Pushing Daisies is dying

by Joel Keller, posted Nov 13th 2008 5:04PM
Pushing Daisies cast
I would have used a headline like "Pushing Daisies is living up to its name," but Joe Adalian of TV Week sort of beat me to it...

According to Adalian, it looks like everyone's favorite cutsey-poo / maudlin-as-hell detective show, Pushing Daisies, will be stopping production after it wraps its thirteenth episode this week. But that doesn't mean it's dead. ABC may extend the options on the major players in order to re-launch the show next fall, but that's a costly longshot on their part.

So, combine this scuttlebutt with Bryan Fuller's statement that he'll go back to Heroes if PD is cancelled, his statement to a Paley Center audience that he'd continue the storylines in a comic book if the show is gone, and the fact that a double-dose of Scrubs is likely to take the show's timeslot in late January, and things aren't looking good for the crew at the Pie Hole.

It's too bad. I haven't been paying the same rapt attention to this season than I did to its first abbreviated season, and maybe that's the problem; the writers' strike killed the momentum this show and most of the returning freshmen shows had.

But the networks were in a tough spot after the strike; bring shows like PD, Dirty Sexy Money, Chuck, etc. back and risk that they die like Jericho did after its first season was split in half, or bring it back with a clean slate in the fall and hope the audience is there? It looks like neither choice was the right one, for the most part, since none of the interrupted freshman shows are getting good ratings this fall.

Alison

I really hope that Pushing Daisies doesn't get cut. :(

November 18 2008 at 3:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
tracey

It probably didn't help that the series started later than most shows this season, ran its 5th episode against the World Series, and then skipped two weeks.

November 14 2008 at 6:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brian

This show never belonged on ABC. Sell it to Showtime or HBO.

November 14 2008 at 2:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bill

I just watch TV. I don't "invest" in it. I don't understand the committment these folks seem to need to make. Or have the show make in them. Just watch stuff. If I like it, I keep watching. If it's no longer offered, I watch something else. I've enjoyed Pushing Daisies. If it's cancelled, I'll watch something else. I'm not going to regret watching the show. Again, I enjoyed it.

November 14 2008 at 1:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Bill's comment
Chemmy

While some people may have this infinite supply of time in which to soak up TV, most people do not. We can't watch every show that's on TV so we have to pick what to watch. So it's just a shot in the back when you pick a show, invest the time in to watching it and it never finished.

It's not so much that the show is canceled, it's that the story doesn't have a chance to run its course. Think of it more like reading a book, only to have the last half of it missing and you're stuck there wanting to find the end. While the portion you read was enjoyable, you're a bit at a loss because you didn't get any completion from it. You could have spent that time in another story too, one that should finish.

If the story is good (TV, books, movies, any media really) it should draw you in, you should care about the characters and you want to know what happens. That's the problem, that's where the investment comes in.

November 14 2008 at 4:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Vice

I can't say I'm surprised. I knew this show had an *ahem* death clock on since its premiere episode. The wit is too quick, the lines too expertly executed, the characters too likable, the concept too original and the scenery too fairy-tale like for a show like this to survive on network television. It's a niche show in every way. I think that a lot of people like me who enjoyed the show immensely knew that it would inevitably be a short ride, despite the Emmy.

November 14 2008 at 12:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dan Chichian

This news on top of the news about My Own Worst Enemy has me not wanting to invest in any new shows, granted I am not a Neilson home so that won't have a lot of impact.

I wonder if this would survive on ABC Family. I think the only other show I have watched on that channel was The Middleman.

November 14 2008 at 10:22 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
maestro610

Pushing Daisies is one of the best series on television but it suffers from Bryan Fuller syndrome... Dead Like Me and Wonderfalls were excellent shows with unbelievably good casts and great storylines... Those shows garnered hardcore fans but those people did not come along for the more "typical" series.

I like the idea that PD could find a home on the cable network ABC Family but I doubt it would fare much better than The Middleman (another great series which looks like more and more like it will be cancelled).

Eventually the networks will have to figure out a way to make television work for those that don't fit into the typical Neilsen system. It's grossly out of date and completely useless. With updates in technology they could actually measure what we watch more accurately.

Networks have to learn how to cater to the hardcore fan who would willingly spend money on conventions, costumes, books, comics and online downloads. These are the people that still spend money on Buffy, Angel, and Firefly. They clamor for an Arrested Development movie and rail against the ridiculous Knight Rider being given chance after chance while Journeyman is cancelled. These people want non-typical television, so don't punish them for wanting something new and interesting.

November 14 2008 at 1:09 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
CrazyJew

"I haven't been paying the same rapt attention to this season than I did to its first abbreviated season, and maybe that's the problem; the writers' strike killed the momentum this show and most of the returning freshmen shows had. "

Joel, with all due respect, the problem is not the writers' strike. I see a lot of people saying that they love the show. At the same time most of them don't bother to watch it live. That's what is hurting the ratings. And Pushing Daisies is even better now than the first season. If you liked the show then start paying more attention now, you won't regret it. Complaining about how dumb the tv executives are will not help the show.

November 14 2008 at 12:35 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
segsig

Crap! This is the only show I really enjoy currently!

November 13 2008 at 10:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
rtms

I agree downloading episodes at a bulk price per month-ie low low price, would make me much happier. I could watch when I want, what I want and the networks still make their money.I'm getting sick of playing tracker with my favorite shows and watching many die a slow death when put in a terrible time slot.

I do hope another network will take the show and continue it some place, or as another suggested put it on Family channel. Greek and LOAT can make there, I think Pushing Daisies could as well.

November 13 2008 at 10:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply