April 21, 2014

No more Enemy or Jungle at NBC - UPDATED

by Isabelle Carreau, posted Nov 13th 2008 10:31AM
Lipstick JungleHello! My name is Isabelle and I watch watched Lipstick Jungle and My Own Worst Enemy.

See the verb tense there? Yep, past. That's because NBC decided that in the near future, LJ and MOWE would not be part of my viewing schedule anymore.

All major entertainment websites report that NBC has decided to cancel both series. What they don't know, and that's because NBC ain't talking yet, is if the already-in-the-can episodes would see the light of a TV screen before the series retire.

When it picked up Christian Slater's My Own Worst Enemy, NBC ordered 9 episodes. As of right now, the cast and crew are working on shooting episode 9, meaning that we could still have some closure if the writers quickly alter the script and if NBC airs all ordered episodes or put them online.

As for Lipstick Jungle, the network had ordered 13 episodes for the show's second season with an option to order more. All of these episodes have been produced. It's not known at this time if the cast and crew were told that cancellation was looming before the last second of episode 2.13 was produced. This means that even if we get to see all episodes, it's possible we are left with cliffhangers and questions at the end of the last episode.

As a viewer of both series, I can admit that MOWE and LJ were not TV's finest shows. Both were not doing well in the ratings and, with the recent move to Fridays for LJ, the writing was on the wall. However, both were entertaining enough to keep me coming back for more. I was looking forward to see how the inner battle between Edward and Henry on Enemy would play out and, you have to admit, there are worse things on TV than seeing Christian Slater in spy mode! As for Jungle, it was Victory's character that kept me coming back to the show. I wanted to know if she would succeed in the fashion world and how her relationship friendship with Joe would work out.

So far, it looks like both series will air at least one more episode as NBC.com still lists LJ and MOWE on November 14 and 17 respectively. It is unknown if they'll keep them on the air until the Holidays so if you are a fan of both series, be ready for the plug to really be pulled at any time, including today.

[via The Live Feed]

Update (November 13, 3 p.m.): Even if all major entertainment websites say that Lipstick Jungle is canceled, a crew member who emailed TV Squad earlier today says that LJ has not been canceled yet. He confirmed that MOWE has gotten the axe but that he received word today that the network as yet to decide what to do with LJ. According to this crew member, NBC is set to wait for a couple of weeks of ratings before deciding the show's fate. In short, if you want to save LJ, make sure that yourself and your friends tune in live every Friday nights at 10 p.m.

JEGS

NBC needs to give these new shows time. I watch every new show hoping it will be the big hit. Enemy is excellent. I wasn't hooked at first but it really got me after a couple of episodes. Journeyman had to be one of the best shows I've ever seen. That was a huge mistake and now they're doing it again. I can't believe I'm all alone on this. When you have a good product try and promote it. Make a little more of an investment. Seinfeld stunk the first season. Look what happened. It ended up making NBC 200 million a year.

November 23 2008 at 8:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
carol

There's a last ditch Save the Jungle campaign underway: Send a tube of lipstick to Mr. Silverman (any shade will do) at the following address: 100 Universal City Plaza Universal City, CA 91608. And pray.

November 16 2008 at 4:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jenroca

if you want to SAVE lipstick jungle, send a TUBE of LIPSTICK to:

Jeff Zucker
30 Rockefeller Plaza
52nd floor
Ny, ny 10112

Ben Silverman
100 universal city plaza
Bldg 1280 Flr 11
Universal city, ca 91608

November 16 2008 at 2:29 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
tingrin87

i was unaware that My Own Worst Enemy premiered. i kept seeing the title, and thinking it was Worst Week
promotion fail, imo

November 14 2008 at 10:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Will

Well, I'm seriously bummed about Worst Enemy, I really enjoy it and I don't care about the logic issues, it's a spy show and,really, how often are any of those realistic? I actually like it a lot more than Chuck, just because I think there's too much time used in the Buy More comedy part of the show. I know a lot of folks like that, but it always falls flat for me. But when the last ratings report came out & Slater's show was down so much, I figured NBC would just cancel it. Why not try another time slot? Why ax it without even giving it another chance? Makes little sense to me.

November 14 2008 at 2:25 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
segsig

Knight Rider is like the laughing stock of tv shows; it's its own entertainment value. Keeping it around is worth a lot of print obviously. And Kath and Kim has connections.

nbc can keep burning good money after bad on Mondays at 10:00; they've well earned the honor to rot in hell.

November 13 2008 at 3:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Liz

I watch My Own Worst Enemy and I'm not too sad to see it go. It is getting better finally, but still not that great- and it does suffer from some serious logic issues.

I will be really sad over Lipstick Jungle. It is my little guilty pleasure - the one I watch while the husband is working in the other room. I just hope they don't leave us hanging. I want happily ever after for these women!

But seriously, they cancel these two shows and keep Kath and Kim and Knight Rider? What the hell NBC. I think my mom summed it up when she said "NBC is run by a putz."

November 13 2008 at 2:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
iamhoff

I'm probably one of the few who can claim to have watched both shows. Jungle, because the GF loves those types of shows, and MOWE because techno/spy thrillers are way cool, if done correctly ***cough cough Knight Rider sucks cough cough***. As a guy, Jungle was mildly interesting, but I'm gonna miss it because now the GF is going to bitch about how another one of her shows got cut (she was totally unsympathetic about the whole Jericho thing, btw). I will miss MOWE, because the basis for the show is such an interesting premise (split personality, hidden operations center, international covert ops, all while remaining as a mild-mannered suburban salesman). Oh well, at least there's still Knight Rider and Kath & Kim (even the GF doesn't want to watch that one)!

November 13 2008 at 2:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dan Chichian

It is a shame about MOWE. I have been watching it on line in the oh so very obviously mistaken belief that this might be counted towards the ratings (not a Neilson house).

Why not move the shows to another day and see if the ratings increase? Swap with a powerhouse (yes, I know there aren't many left on NBC) for a few weeks.

They had better show the rest of the episodes, I am so tired of shows being canceled and getting zero closure.

November 13 2008 at 2:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Dan Chichian's comment
DONNA

I ABSOUTELEY , POSTIVELY LOVE THESE 2 SHOWS , LIPSTICK AND MY OWN WORST ENEMY, THEY JUST HAPPENED TO BE 2 OF THE BEST SHOWS ON AT 10, CHRISTIAN SLATLER IS A GREAT ACTOR HE MADE THAT SHOW , I LOVED THE IDEA OF EDWARD AND HENRY , HENRY JUST A REGULAR GUY BUT EDWARD WAS THE REALLY SEXY AGENT , I LOVED SEEING HIM SWITCH BETWEEN THE 2 PERSONALTIES, THATS WHAT KEPT IT VERY FRESH AND INTERESTING TO ME, YOU NEVER KNEW IF HENRY WOULD SHOW UP IN THE MIDDLE OF CASE AND EDWARD WOULD SHOW UP IN THE MIDDLE OF A FAMILY EVENING, NOT KNOWING IS WHY I LOVED IT SOO MUCH AND CHRISTIAN BEING TOTTALLY SEXY DIDNT HURT EITHER

November 14 2008 at 6:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jessica

The one show geared toward women where we seem them fabulous and flawed without seeming totally stupid has been canceled - that is a crock of you know what. I like the show a lot. Too bad, maybe Lifetime can pick it up or something. Oh, wait, NBC might want to sue them.

November 13 2008 at 2:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply