July 25, 2014

Rosie Live...or how NBC is trying to revive TV variety shows

by Allison Waldman, posted Nov 13th 2008 1:00AM
rosieOnce upon a time the airwaves were filled with TV variety shows. There were stars like Sonny and Cher and Donny and Marie, and further back, The Ed Sullivan Show and The Carol Burnett Show.

Well, Rosie O'Donnell remembers that kind of TV entertainment, and she thinks it's what America wants now. As Bob reported not long ago, NBC is giving her an hour to see if anyone agrees, the night before Thanksgiving, November 26, from 9-10 p.m. ET, Rosie Live will air live from the Shubert Theater in New York.

The news today is that Rosie has booked Ne-Yo and Alanis Morissette to provide the musical portion of the program. The plans for the rest of the hour include a topical monologue, which Rosie should have no problem pulling off because she did one every day on her daytime talk show.

There are also going to be musical production numbers, a staple on The Carol Burnett Show, as well as comedy sketches. The press release from NBC promises that they will be hilarious. Hmm...maybe if Tina Fey were to show up with her Sarah Palin glasses?

No, in all seriousness, I commend NBC for taking a chance like this, as well as Rosie. This is a risky venture, because musical variety is perceived as an old-fashioned notion. On the other hand, what's American Idol if not a musical variety type of show with judges? Also, NBC is hedging its bet by giving Rosie Live a Wednesday slot, and as Nielsen has been reporting all season long, Wednesday is the worst night of the week for ratings, outside of Friday and Saturday.

I will be interested enough to tune in, but that's because I like Rosie O'Donnell. There are a lot of people like me, but there are also just as many who loathe her, so we'll have to see. Still, I give her props for sticking her neck out.

jude

I don't think it's the variety show format that is the problem. It's Rosie. I wouldn't watch anything with her on it. I used to love her on her talk show when she was the "queen of nice" and was warm and funny, but she has changed so much. Now she is so rude, vicious, mean, and strident about everything. I don't care about her weight or sexual preference, it's her personality that will keep me from ever watching her again.

December 02 2008 at 11:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
sharon

She's a big fat dike - She has lost all my respect (Ellen is now my favorite - Ellen is not IN YOUR FACE about being a lesbian - I'm so happy for Ellen and Porsche - so before you get on me about being a lesbian hater). I concur with others - 1) Rosie, your 15 minutes are up and 2) you are not right about a lot of things - go back to your cruise ship - perhaps you can sing on the boat - you sure can't sing on TV

December 02 2008 at 12:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mo

FAIL
Already canceled. No talent.
FAIL

December 02 2008 at 8:28 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
wookie

Rosie Live! was awful. I tried to watch it but it was too painful. Didn't she used to be funny or talented or something???? My son was bummed because her show bumped Knight Rider. After ten minutes of RL! (why I watched that long I don't know...maybe the 'train wreck' aspect of it), I was bummed that Knight Rider wasn't on. What a flop! Someone at NBC dropped a big one and I would bet (hope) has some explaining to do to keep their job!

November 29 2008 at 3:03 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mr Dale - NYC

Who ever at NBC gave to green light for this should be fired!
Rosie needs to bow out and leave the American Public alone.
Two words Rosie... Shut Up!

November 28 2008 at 9:33 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
SHERYL

LIKE THE LIVE SHOW-ITS LIKE BEING ON A LIVE SHOW ON YOUR TV SET

November 27 2008 at 6:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gabe

I LOVE Rosie! I can't wait till this show. Its on tomorrow. Rosie is just such a funny, open-hearted human being, you just can't help but love her. This is gonna be fun.

Happy Thanks giving everyone!

November 25 2008 at 2:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Gabe's comment
Vic Casciola

Apparently you never met rosie in person...

November 27 2008 at 1:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
margie

I just love Rosie O. She makes me laugh and makes me feel happy. I will watch anything with Rosie on it. I stopped watching the View when she left. (only watched because of her) Just watch the ratings go up on her new program. Margie

November 15 2008 at 7:57 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jonna

Didn't they already try this with the Wayne Brady show? I don't think that format really works in this day and age, plus I don't see Rosie as a comedienne at Carol Burnett's caliber. Plus Carol had a great ensemble cast that made her show what it was.

November 13 2008 at 4:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jim

Couldn't find an older photo of Rosie?

November 13 2008 at 4:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply