Will Paula Abdul leave American Idol?

by Debra McDuffee, posted Nov 14th 2008 2:19PM
Paula AbdulI must confess, I really, really enjoy American Idol. Sure, I could do without the mean-spirited auditions and the tacky group numbers reminiscent of Up With People, but for the most part, it's a satisfying guilty pleasure.

It's not just the talented contestants that keep me watching, though. I like the judges and the way they interact with each other. I had really mixed feelings when I heard the news that American Idol would be bringing on another judge: curious to see how she'd fit in with the others and what her style would be like, but nervous that she'd change the dynamic between the original three too much for my liking.

So imagine how I must be feeling now that this news has broken -- Paula Abdul is looking to leave American Idol to pursue other projects.

Sure, like OK! magazine posits, it was in the back of my mind that Idol was looking to push Paula out when they hired Kara DioGaurdi. Then again, Paula's career had been rejuvenated last season with her and Randy's collaborative hit single. Maybe this was Paula's plan all along?

We'll never know, probably, but we can wish her well and hope that Kara can fill her shoes. OK, maybe not the slurring-words-far-too-often-for-people-not-to-talk shoes, but don't the contestants need a cheerleader to keep their confidence up and protect them from Simon?

chris

cant wait for the new season of american idol to start....

American Idols Live

December 03 2008 at 1:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dave

I love paula.and simon.randy and the dog pound can go.Idol will not be the same without paula.

December 02 2008 at 1:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Karen

I think the three represented different parts of the music industry.

Paula represents the style, personality, looks aspect. That is her gig. And like it or not - that is an aspect of a successful musician these days.

Randy is the music and Simon is the money.

They need all three to ballance, only Randy isn't doing his part.

Paula is doing her part just fine. No reason to hate her for it.

November 14 2008 at 4:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jim

I heard a report this morning that Nigel Lythgoe predicted the addition of a fourth judge would spell the demise of American Idol -- something like criticism from three judges after a bad performance is bearable, but four would be downright mean.

Personally, I think Randy is almost as useless as Paula. The only person on the show with any sense (or taste) is Simon.

November 14 2008 at 3:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Jim's comment
Debra McDuffee

Oh, I agree, although I'd have to say Randy may be even more useless than Paula. He drives me crazy. I agree with about 95% of what Simon says.

November 14 2008 at 3:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mitch

It would be great news if it was really true. She adds absolutely nothing to the show and makes me watch the show on my dvr to allow me to fast forward through her useless comments.

November 14 2008 at 2:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply