July 29, 2014

Saturday Night Live: Paul Rudd/Beyonce - VIDEOS

by Annie Wu, posted Nov 16th 2008 1:20PM
Paul Rudd
(S34E08)
This episode was warmed up like biscuits. Dance biscuits. I swear to God, I will find a way to work that into a conversation some time in the near future. This was certainly the strongest episode of the season, as the writers didn't seem quite so afraid to have fun with the more pointless or tasteless jokes. Sometimes, they try to do something bizarre but stop just short of a satisfying pay-off, leaving a palpable awkwardness. In this episode, they really pulled through and, thanks to some special appearances (hello, Justin Timberlake), gave Mr. Paul Rudd a very memorable episode. Check out some highlights from the episode.

"Cold Open": SNL's Joe Biden character is funny, but I'm still not completely sold on Jason Sudeikis' portrayal of him. They either need to work on that impression until it's perfect or make the character so hilariously ridiculous that we don't even care about the visual/auditory accuracy (see: Will Ferrell's George W. Bush).

"Sproingo": Eh. This was all right. They had a lot fun with cartoon-y sound effects in this episode, didn't they?

"Kissing Family": I bet the person who wrote this skit was one of the people performing in it, because everyone wants to suck face with Paul Rudd. Simple fact of life. This sketch actually reminded me a lot of that Julianna Margulies episode where she visited a family that regurgitated food for their son, played by Chris Kattan, and in the end, gave in and participated. I mean, this is significantly less gross, but the connection is still there.

"Digital Short: Everyone's a Critic": Does Andy Samberg have a bit of a man-crush on Paul Rudd? Because I'm having trouble believing otherwise after some of these skits and those unusually adorable promo clips. The beginning of this sketch was all right, but the violent ending was the greatest.

"Weekend Update": With each week, I'm becoming more and more confident in Seth Meyers working alone. They should keep this up and see where it goes. Bobby Moynihan as Snagglepuss was strange, but still kind of funny. The best part was, obviously, Justin Timberlake's surprise appearance and full break-down of his show. Pretty accurate, pretty accurate. Bring it on in to Turkeyville, indeed.

"Dancers": This was spectacular. It was super-straightforward in its execution, as it was just fun to watch a couple of guys dance around in leotards and heels, but there were a few amazing lines sprinkled throughout. Dance biscuits, anyone? Justin Timberlake often does an amazing job in sketches, and this time was no exception. I even half-expected to see the guys make an appearance during Beyonce's real performance. As well as Bobby Moynihan and Andy Samberg did, I kind of wish Paul Rudd had taken one of their places as a dancer. Also, I think that was the first we've seen from the new girl-players. I mean, they could have been one of the many bleeding/vomiting people in the painting skit, but I didn't catch them.

"Clearing The Air": Are Bill, Fred, and Noah (Noah?) trying to do their own "Digital Shorts" now? It was cute, but I didn't think it fit the tone of SNL. I bet this was, like, Lorne Michaels giving them the final slot of the night to try out their film. I guess the response will determine whether or not they get any more.

StillBash

The last 15 minutes were sub-par but the rest was so totally great... I mean a story from germany on weekend update... I cried of laughter during that bit... I was on the floor on "un-armed" :-)

But I was waiting for Paul Rudd to break into the dance he did on TDS during the whole show. Man that was funny. Overall a great Paul Rudd week :-)

THe episode also shines so much brighter compared to yesterday's episode. Man that one was complete and utter crap from start to finish. Nothing remotely funny.

November 23 2008 at 8:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Alex

I watched it up to the Beyonce/male dancer sketch before I turned it off.

I enjoyed the "Biden blunder scale" cold open, the country song that just kept going on and on, and Seth's jokes during weekend update about the unarmed robber.

As a straight guy watching the show, I can't help but feel just a little bit uncomfortable when every other skit is about guys kissing, full frontal male nudity, guys talking about gay sex, cartoon characters coming out of the closet, guys speaking with the stereotypical gay voice, etc.

I figured it had to have something to do with the Prop. 8 thing, but felt it was way too overdone. They didn't have to theme the entire show (save for 1 or 2 skits) around it. What happened to good old-fashioned jokes that don't have to be "edgy" to make people laugh?

This was definitely one of the worst episodes I've seen in a while. I Think I might skip SNL next week and just watch a few choice clips on Hulu instead.

November 17 2008 at 5:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
davidm3825

This is the first SNL this season that I watched the whole show. I like Paul Rudd in any movie he's done and wish I were part of the kissing family. Great show.

November 17 2008 at 1:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jeff Goebel

I watched the show with a friend who doesn't watch SNL much, and was surprised how every sketch had a gay factor. We started to think the host must be gay, and they're trying gay humour... or somebody in the head office decided that gays watch SNL more... who knows. I didn't think of a Prop 8 link. The fact of life is, gay humour does offend some people. Is this what passes as edgy and controversial now?

I think it's funny how I enjoy SNL every single week, but I always enjoy it less when I feel judged. When I watch with other "non fans", the show seems bad.

(Not against gays or gay humour at all... I was just surprised to see an entire show themed that way)

November 17 2008 at 9:53 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Burroughs

It was a terrible episode and it ran off anyone who doesn't want to spend 90 minutes of men kissing, vomit jokes and surprise "i shot my friend in the face" humor. We bailed and from the sound of the rest of the skits, none too soon. SNL is coming off a huge surge in popularity with an episode that will most certainly run off about half that audiance.

November 17 2008 at 9:15 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
shadowracer

This was by far the weakest of the season. Wow guys kissing? Funny no.
A guy accidently giving his father a BJ at a glory hole = hilarious.

The payoff for the painting thing was so weak. The painting is so bad it makes people go crazy. Ok if I'm in eighth grad that is top quality stuff. We get it Samberg you watch AdultSwim, do something with it.

The one with the 3 guys interrupting each other was terrible.

Dancers? That was funny? I understand why its funny to see The Rock in a leotard. But JT and the other 2? Who cares? Weaksauce.

The high points come from the usual suspects. Bobby(who will be one of the strongest players in the next few seasons - watch). And the king - Keanan, perfect comic timing. The parole sketch was perfect.

Oh oh and the 4 guys in the car was idiotic. He gets shot in the the head, not funny.
"Vincent: Oh man, I shot Marvin in the face.
Jules: Why the f**k did you do that!
Vincent: Well, I didn't mean to do it, it was an accident!
Jules: Oh man I've seen some crazy ass shit in my time...
Vincent: Chill out, man. I told you it was an accident. You probably went over a bump or something.
Jules: Hey, the car didn't hit no motherf**king bump.
Vincent: Hey, look man, I didn't mean to shoot the son of a bitch. The gun went off. I don't know why. "
That's funny.

November 17 2008 at 1:21 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
James J. Gutierrez

was the best of the season

November 17 2008 at 12:25 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Craig

Best show of the season? Really? Every skit was the same. Jon Hamm's show was the best of the season.

November 16 2008 at 11:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Craig's comment
ac

Agreed

November 17 2008 at 1:00 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Klo

I didn't care for this episode. Too many "gay" jokes. It was obviously in support of Prop 8. I fast forwarded through most of the sketches because of this.

I was completely baffled by Beyonce's "Single Ladies" song. Is that supposed to be what's cool these days? And what was with the metallic glove thing? Weird.

November 16 2008 at 9:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
smashthesymbols

They need to bump everyone scheduled for next week and make the Justin Timberlake episode happen. Nothing they do can top what he had mapped out in his head. Now next week will just be a disappointment.

November 16 2008 at 9:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply