October 23, 2014

Star Trek trailer shows Kirk as a kid, Sylar acting all Spocky - VIDEO

by Bob Sassone, posted Nov 17th 2008 5:47PM
Star TrekI knew that the new Star Trek movie was going to be an origins story, but I didn't realize how far back they were going to go.

The first trailer (not counting that lame teaser trailer that debuted months ago and was only aimed towards hardcore fans who get off on Enterprise blueprints) for the movie is now available. It is attached to some copies of Quantum of Solace (though, sadly, not the place where I saw QoS the other night, damn it) and Paramount has also released the official version online so we don't have to sit through YouTube videos that someone shot in a dark theater.

I like it. Looks like it could appeal to Trekkers and also moviegoers looking for a general audience-pleasing summer sci-fi flick. The trailer shows young James T. Kirk stealing a sports car, yearning to go do something outside of his hometown worthwhile, incredible space buildings, explosions, bad guys, fights, that cool retro Enterprise warning sound, and Uhura taking off her shirt. I'm there!

If we go by looks, then they really did a great job casting Kirk (Chris Pine) and Spock (Zachery Quinto). In fact, it's amazing how much Quinto looks like Leonard Nimoy-as-Spock-ish. The intense looks he gives in the trailer will make you think of Sylar at his darkest.

Star Trek - Theatrical Trailer

YouFaceTheTick

Better trailer than expected considering both the source material and director are commonly awful. Still seems like something to watch on DVD. After MI3 and Cloverfield, there will never be a good reason to see an Abrams movie in a theater.

November 22 2008 at 3:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Paul

Apple have HD versions of the trailer up:

November 18 2008 at 5:26 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
izanhoe

Dumb!! Dumb!! Dumb!!!

I appreciate they are trying to broaden the appeal of Star Trek to a wider audience, but as a hard core Trekkie this trailer makes me very worried about this movie.

The blonde kid doesn't look like he would grow up to be Chris Pine, much less William Shatner. And only fan boys care that Kirk's middle name is Tiberius. Kirk certainly never said it aloud.

The tech either looks too low tech (like the sports car) or too high tech for this era. There is no way this version of the Enterprise evolved into the one we see in the TV series. (The TV series Enterprise tried much harder to make things look updated for today's audience, yet still reasonably lower tech than the original series.)

And though from a purist perspective I could care less if the Enterprise was build on land or in space, realistically there is no way a space ship that looked like that could have been launched from Earth's surface without coming apart.

Lastly, Gene Roddenberry's Star Trek was always much more interested in the message of Trek than the action. The trailer gives me none of the special feelings that Trek should invoke. It just looks like another Sci-Fi action movie with lots of effects and explosions. That's not Trek.

Other than Syler/Spock and the fact that they are wearing yellow, blue and red shirts I don't see much I recognize here as Star Trek.

November 18 2008 at 12:38 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to izanhoe's comment
ArcticFox

He isnt trying to be William Shatner, this is a Star Trek reboot, hes not going to be growing up into Shatner, hes growing up into James T Kirk.

November 18 2008 at 7:47 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
izanhoe

I guess I should be happy JJ Abrams didn't make Kirk a woman or change his race.

But I'm really less disappointed about the changing appearance of characters that I'm familiar with but more with the seeming departure from the Star Trek story-telling style.

This has been true for a while of course, with series like Enterprise and the movies with the Next Generation casts and even some of the one's with the original cast. (And I've enjoyed many of those too.)

Since Roddenberry was at his most involved with the original series, and his signature style (many might say preachiness) was woven into the fabric of many of the early episodes it is more jarring to me to see this re-imagined effort seemingly leave much of that behind for more fist fight and shots of Uhura in her bra.

November 18 2008 at 9:49 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joey Geraci

I don't know. Paramount has showed how royally they can screw up Star Trek when they put their mind to it (Nemesis, Enterprise), that I have very low hopes. This trailer doesn't help things. I certainly hope it is not just a big summer action movie, and actually has some feeling and thought behind it (like, I don't know, the best Star Trek has exhibited in spades over the years)

Anybody can do special effects and veiled sex. Star Trek brings so much more to the screen, when they know what the fuck they are doing.

November 17 2008 at 8:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jake

I'm cautiously optimistic after seeing this trailer. I'm not one of those fans that nitpicks on "cannon", so as long as it is entertaining like some of the other trek movies have been I'm in.

November 17 2008 at 6:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Jake's comment
Usama

Same here. I'm a huge Trek fan but I'm also open to changes and accepting that this movie may (or will?) break canon. I'm excited about this new story.

I saw the trailer during QoS and it was perfect because when it started I was like, "oh, this isn't Star Trek" as I was anxiously awaiting the Trek trailer, and then the kid says "James Tiberius Kirk" and my mouth dropped. Abrams, if you're reading this, the trailer worked perfectly, so thank you!

I just hope they didn't sacrifice Trek's big themes for the sake of making it cool. I'm so happy.

November 17 2008 at 8:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply