July 28, 2014

What's the best TV theme song of all time? - VIDEO

by Bob Sassone, posted Nov 17th 2008 1:24PM
James GarnerI think this is probably the 50th or 60th post about TV theme songs we've done here at TV Squad, either lists of our own or stories about other lists on the web. But it's one of the great all-time TV debates among fans so it's good to revisit the topic every few months.

Paste has the latest list, their 40 best TV theme songs of all-time. Oh, we could talk about this for hours (and we probably will), but there are four thoughts that come immediately to mind after reading all 40 choices:

I'm also not sure why they included the theme song from The Sopranos since it's a song that already existed and they say in the article that they aren't going to pick shows that have those type of songs (for example, The Lone Ranger's "William Tell Overture"). Anyway, it's a pretty good list in general, even if it does make some glaring omissions.

Here's the Mannix theme:

Justin

It's Paste--they have no finger on the pulse of music.

Case in point is this list: No Cosby themes. Kotter and Barney Miller are ranked low.

I hate Paste but then again, I think any music journalist with any ounce of dignity does. Why someone gave me a gift subscription is beyond me.

November 18 2008 at 8:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
JHF

The theme from "The Persuaders!" should be on that list. It's not so well known in the US, but John Barry did do an awesome job.

Good version here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykLCAfVa410

November 18 2008 at 8:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Monty

Easily, Jonny Quest.

November 18 2008 at 2:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Franklin

Twilight Zone is not on the list?? WTF.

November 18 2008 at 3:10 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rob

WTF!

MacGyver isn't even on the list?

Epic Fail!!!!

November 18 2008 at 1:09 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
scotteberly

This is so subjective, but... Six Feet Under is in my top 20. The Sopranos and Rockford Files should be much higher. I'd have to add 90210 and how about St. ELSEWHERE!!!!

November 17 2008 at 9:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Karen

I liked the Frasier theme song, but Cheers really was the first one to come to mind. MASH was second.

I love the Boston Legal opener too!

November 17 2008 at 7:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
C C

One of my favorites that's missing from the Paste list is the theme to Thirtysomething. It was a totally unique instrumental, a cross between bluegrass and new age.

November 17 2008 at 7:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Europa

Hey, here's a good way to judge what's a really good theme song. Which ones do you have ringtones for your phone(s)?

November 17 2008 at 6:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Europa's comment
Michael

Good call! I currently have the following TV theme song ringtones on my phone assigned to various callers:

Lipstick Jungle (for my wife)
The Unit (for my best friend)
Dr. Who '87 (for my sons)
The Sopranos (for everyone at work)
Alias (for my extended family)
Speed Racer - original version (for my other friends)

November 18 2008 at 10:11 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply