August 30, 2014

More come out of the closet on Galactica

by Brad Trechak, posted Nov 18th 2008 9:04AM
Battlestar GalacticaGalactica Sitrep reports that the Sci Fi Channel webisodes of Battlestar Galactica that will appear next month (titled "The Face of the Enemy") will bring two recurring characters out of the closet. The two characters are revealed in the comments on that site but I will wait until after the jump so that nobody claws out my eyes from spoiler rage.

With only 10 episodes remaining in the entire series, it's amazing that it even has any surprises left.

The two lovebirds are Lt. Gaeta (who, granted, does have the syllable "gay" in his name) and Lt. Hoshi originally from the Pegasus. This isn't the first time Battlestar Galactica has dealt with gay characters (which would be Number Six and Admiral Cain), but it would mark the first time gay male characters have been revealed.

Frankly, I wonder what took them so long. Galactica has been great at presenting adult issues in shades of gray. Perhaps Ron Moore thought it would be too obvious a topic and just decided to hit it now before the series ended.

gooby

I think BSG has integrated homosexuality and bisexuality into the show really well (mostly), no big coming out stories or anything, it's just part of the character and that's the way to go. It's just that the media (this site included) always jumps on the homosexual angle immediately and it becomes the story instead of anything else. But as long as the media keeps treating it as something that's out of the norm, people are never going to feel like it's simply part of the episode.

Like in House, the way House reacted to finding Thirteen to be bisexual and then sensationalising the whole thing with promos and such, not really the way to go if you ask me.

November 19 2008 at 4:58 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Marjorie

Perhaps they're getting the "outing" out of the way in the webisodes precisely so it doesn't need to become a big issue within the show itself. The "shock," if shock there is, will be gotten over by watching the webepisodes or hearing the news somewhere, and then the writers can move on and make Gaeta's love life within the regular show as mundane or dysfunctional as they choose.

November 19 2008 at 4:16 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
大宝宝

It shouldn't be big news; in a perfect world it would be just another relationship. However it becomes news because of all the demonstrations, call for boycotts, accusations of being anti-family and just general all around flack this show/channel/producers etc etc will have to take from the anti-homosexual powers that be and their minions (whether they actually watch the show or not). As for a "homosexuality as a topic" that would depend on how the show portrays the relationship; as part of the story and character development or something just thrown in for people to talk about. As an example I would say moments in the relationship between Starbuck and Apollo were not "adultery as a topic" but character development that helped drive the story by giving insghts into character motivations and what not. Could that have been done without the adultery, maybe, but it didn't hurt the story. So if this relationship is handled in a similar manner I do not see it as "homosexuality as a topic".

November 18 2008 at 10:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ivan

I'm a little disappointed that BSG has jumped on the homosexuality bandwagon. I have nothing against gay rights and what have you, I just think homosexuality as a topic in movies and TV shows is old, unoriginal and tired. Granted, there are still places in the world where women aren't allowed to drive and if you steal they chop off your hands, but I feel that in the civilised parts of it homosexuality is about as big an issue as the colour of your underwear.

November 18 2008 at 12:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Ivan's comment
Fabrice

I am surprised at YOUR comment in fact.
Sex in all its variety has always been present in BSG. Razor introduced a relationship between Caine and Number Six. And that s on top of Baltar ambiguous relationship with Number Six Caprica and D'Eanna, his frequent orgies with both cylons and/or the women following him in his 'cult' and even Number Six bisexuality toward D'eana and 'herself'.
I have to agree homosexuality used as a 'big shocker' IS getting old... but I don't think this is the case for BSG. I actually think the way sex is used in BSG is interestingly philosophical.(so is religion, not even talking about the 2 used together (the cylons thinking that 'God loves you' has to be used litterally)

November 18 2008 at 12:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
gooby

Great news. Now next step is to write lesbian characters that won't be psycho (killers) and/or die. Not that I'm bitter about Number Six and Admiral Cain or anything.

November 18 2008 at 10:03 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Fabrice

Oh I knew it !
Gaeta was obviously all over Baltar from the beginning.
The interrogation sequence after they all escaped New Caprica was also awkward... And I wonder what Baltor told Gaeta in his ear before being stabbed by a pen...
Did All-Sweaty-Gaeta really want to kill Baltar while he was in the brig... President thought so...Me think no.

November 18 2008 at 10:01 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brad Trechak

Actually, the two characters are revealed after the jump. That's the spoiler.

November 18 2008 at 9:45 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joey Geraci

The spoiler is still before the jump.

Certainly will be interesting if they mention this relationship in the last episodes.

November 18 2008 at 9:28 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joel Keller

That was my mistake, folks... Brad had it right and I accidentally put the spoiler pre-jump. It's been restored to its previous format

November 18 2008 at 9:19 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Belly

You might want to start protecting your eyes then - where's the freaking jump?

November 18 2008 at 9:07 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply