September 22, 2014

The Mentalist: Seeing Red

by Debra McDuffee, posted Nov 19th 2008 12:30AM
seance scene from The Mentalist: Seeing Red
(S01E07)
After reading the premise for tonight's The Mentalist, I can't tell you how forward I was looking to seeing Jane at a seance. How could that not be fun? Yeah, well, it was just OK, since he rigged it and all. But we got more from this episode than just Jane's antics.

In fact, I think the Jane antics have died down a bit, and I miss them; he was definitely more outrageous at the beginning of the series. That said, Jane seemed to have met his match in the spiritual advisor this week, and that was fun to watch.

Jane starts off with a House-like anger toward Kristina, the spiritual advisor. He was totally rude! "Oh, this is going to be good," said Jane. After Kristina reads Jane for the first time (deep guilt and self-loathing, recent trauma in past, more than a little unstable), she was so spot-on that Lisbon's reaction in that sly smile was priceless. Jane even admits to Lisbon later in the show that it bugs him that she may be a better con artist than he is. Some other "face-offs:"
  • Contrary to what Jane assumed, the mirror in Kristina's waiting area was not two-way glass.
  • "Don't try to cold-read me." - Jane
    "I wouldn't know how." - Kristina
    "We both know that's a lie." - Jane
  • Kristina says that from the grave, Rosemary told her that Jane was "a deeply misguided but damaged man," but good. Was that Kristina's way of telling him that she was besting him?
  • When Jane walked into Kristina's, he says, "I smell dead people." Funny stuff.
  • Jane believes Rosemary's vision about the car was simple deduction and a lucky guess.
Jeremy, the photographer boyfriend, was delightful. The Mentalist does such a good job of providing interesting suspects. He provided some of the best quotes of the episode:
  • "You're in my personal space. Please step back." - Jeremy to Jane
  • "Excuse me, but there's a definite note of uncalled for hostility in your voice." - Jeremy, to Rigsby's reaction when Jeremy said Travis was happier in the smaller room
He was the typical red herring suspect we get in every episode, but I wouldn't have it any other way because the writers make them so entertaining.

Seeing Jane's reaction when Kristina told him she talked to his wife and that his daughter never suffered was so interesting. It was exactly what he wanted to hear, so yes, I do believe that Kristina was a better con artist than Jane. Like she could figure out where the car was dumped, after she researched Jane, she could assume what would be eating away at him. No one would want to know their child suffered a painful, scary death. Am I a cynic, or was Rosemary really a con artist? I like the way they left this open to the viewers' interpretation.

Other things worth mentioning:
  • Um, yuck on the hit and run. Gory.
  • Clever, Jane, getting Travis to show up at the carousel.
  • Spiritual advising pays so much better than blogging ... I definitely don't get $500 per hour!
  • So did you know it was Clara early on? She was a bit too shifty so I suspected her, but I didn't catch the slip that let Jane know she was guilty, the gutter thing.
  • Cho is so damned dry; loved the exchange about visiting the zoo.

Hollie

When they get around to revealing who Red John is, I suspect they're going to want to make it someone the viewer knows, at least. Maybe someone Jane knows as well.

This episode suggests that the psychic lady may know who the killer is, if she isn't Red John herself. And Jane would have noticed, if he was able to think clearly on this topic...sooner or later he will start putting two and two together.

November 24 2008 at 9:49 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dtoth

Did we see Red John in this episode called "Seeing Red" (John?) Why did they leave it so open? Is there going to be another episode with these same characters...say like a build uo to the season finale? Red John basically challenged Jane by killing his family and isn't the spiritual advisor, Kristina, challenging him too? The episode makes us think Kristina got the better of Jane, does he get his revenge finally in the end (of season)and catch Red John. Obviously I have a theory. P.S. The mother was not in a ditch like the daughter confessed to.

November 21 2008 at 3:24 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to dtoth's comment
LC

"P.S. The mother was not in a ditch like the daughter confessed to."

The daughter inadvertently said that her mother died in a gutter, not a ditch.

November 22 2008 at 8:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mb

1. She was a very good con-artist. If someone was indeed a spiritualist with these powers, why would they need to go back to Jane and prove something? Kristina went back to "one-up" Jane, in my opinion, and knew exactly how to hit him.

2. I didn't quite understand Jane's method in getting Travis to appear at the carousel. Was Jane attempting to hypnotize Travis via a cellphone voicemail, or was he trying to talk to him in code? I didn't see how that message would influence Travis (or anyone). Can someone elaborate on this?

3. During the seance, did the recorded voice that the team used really sound like Rosemary? Would that really have worked? This seemed like a stretch...

November 19 2008 at 3:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
3 replies to mb's comment
Anita

I really liked the addition of the spiritualist. She's a great match for Jane's character and there was underlying chemistry between the actress and Baker.

November 19 2008 at 10:41 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dan Chichian

I also think she is a con artist. Too easy to google Jane just like he said and telling him what he wants to hear just makes sense. Why would she intentionally antagonize someone who already calls her on her act.

November 19 2008 at 9:42 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
superbagman

Love the show. I think it's pretty weird that every episode so far has had an actor who was on 24 at least once. Heck, Gregory Itzin is a recurring character, I gotta wonder if someone working on the production used to work for 24.

November 19 2008 at 9:38 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
La-Di-Dah

My interpretation was that she was a better con artist too. I think the openness of the episode in not declaring her a fraud right away was perfect, because there's still a little "is she a con artist, or is she," and her throw-down (ok, it was not exactly a throw-down) with Jane was well-written and well-acted (Terri Bauer was a good choice for this role). I would love to see her in more episodes with Jane (maybe once or twice, they'll actually work together!) I hope they don't give Jane this "spiritual advisor" as a lover though because while I liked how straightforwardly she said she slept with Jeremy once or twice, eew, she slept with Jeremy once or twice.

November 19 2008 at 8:24 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
manoj

Worth Reading. Keep the good work on. :)

November 19 2008 at 3:18 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Doug Nelson

If they start regularly hinting that some psychics might be real, I'll stop watching.

November 19 2008 at 3:11 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply