November 27, 2014

ABC Family assembles 10 Things cast

by Jane Boursaw, posted Nov 20th 2008 9:08AM
Ethan PeckIt's taken nearly 10 years, but the feature film 10 Things I Hate About You is being made into a TV show. Well, a pilot anyway. We'll see if it goes the distance. This project has a few things going for it:

1) It's on ABC Family, which has done a fabulous job with their programming. Have you watched the network lately? This is edgy stuff that's like the next step up from Nickelodeon and Disney Channel: Lincoln Heights, Greek, and The Secret Life of the American Teenager top the list.

2) The cast is great. Some you might have heard of, others not: Lindsey Shaw, Meaghan Jette Martin, Kyle Kaplan, Nicholas Braun and Ethan Peck. That's him, pictured. He's the grandson of Gregory Peck, and he kind of looks like him, doesn't he?

3) It's got Shakespeare on its side. The 1999 movie was based on "The Taming of the Shrew" but set in a modern-day high school. If you haven't seen it, go rent it. You'll get to see Julia Stiles, Heath Ledger, and David Krumholtz do their stuff.

Any thoughts on this? I predict that ABC Family will have another winner on its hands.

Kimberly

What about Middleman? The best show! Will it be back?

November 20 2008 at 2:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
gwangi

I miss The Middleman.

November 20 2008 at 2:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Susan Burns

I loved the movie!!!! I grew up with the teen coming of angst movies of the 80s that John Hughes made so well, and I feel that was the only movie that truly measures up.

It's a hard act to follow, but I will watch at least once.

November 20 2008 at 1:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Terry

I doubt the new spin on the movie will fly but we'll see.... I love Kyle XY but for the rest of there shows, i will pass....

November 20 2008 at 12:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joey Geraci

Edgy! Really! Other than Kyle XY, I wouldn't consider anything on that network bending the envelope, much less breaking out of it.

November 20 2008 at 10:33 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Courtney

I actually don't know what I think about this show. I don't think they can really go with the Shakespeare background anymore--I mean, there's only so much you can do and they did it in the movie. And honestly, the movie was just so fun and good that I'm afraid this show will taint it if it doesn't live up to the hype. I don't see why they couldn't just come up with a new TV show involving a popular sister and a rebel. (Wait, that might have been the WB's Popular...)

But ABC is doing well in its new series. With the exception of The Secret Life. I still don't know why people watch that garbage they call a show. It's so preachy and over the top. It's not realistic at all. I realize it's getting high numbers, but maybe that's just because it was on in the summer and viewers had to choose between that or Deal or No Deal. Honestly, I think I would have gone with Howie and the Banker.

November 20 2008 at 9:26 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply